LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 7
Gagnut
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:09 pm
--- description ---
Strategies for adding burdens with the Sauron culture.
--- end description ---

I got this idea with my deck and thought I would enlighten the world about it.

Sauron burdens and making good use of them.

There are many Sauron cards that have to do with burdens, getting burdens can be easier than you think, I will give you a few examples:

Desperate Defense of the ring: 1 Condition, To play exert a Sauron Orc, Plays on a companion. Each Time Bearer is Assigned to a skirmish, the free peoples chooses to either discard 3 cards from hand or add a burden.
Now, this card is so awesome because, it isn’t unique, so I could play 4 of these on one companion and each time that companion is assigned to a skirmish, they add 4 burdens or discard 12 cards from hand.

Another great card.
Thin and Stretched, 0 Condition, To play exert a Sauron orc. Plays on the Ring-bearer.
Add a burden at the end of each turn which bearer was not assigned to a skirmish (and another companion was).

This is awesome, because that means that almost each turn, the free peoples has to add a burden, because even if the freeps assign the ring-bearer to a skirmish they usually have to add a burden anyway, unless sometimes they have an aRB and have a ring that you don’t have to add a burden to wear.

Desperate measures, 2, Event, Maneuver: Spot a Sauron orc and remove a burden to discard the top 5 cards from his Draw deck.

This card should be on the cards you hate list, if a awesome card is discarded from your opponent’s deck, the feeling is insurmountable.

Above the Battlements, 0, Event, Shadow,
Play a besieger stacked on a site you control of remove a burden to play a orc from your discard pile.
This card is awesome for when there is a lot of twilight in the pool and you need minions, you just remove a burden from the burdens you put on with Desperate defense of the Ring and Thin and Stretched and you just got yourself another minion.

Gorgorath Stormer,4, Minion Orc, S 10, V 2 S 5. Besieger, Shadow, If you have initiative, exert this minion to add a burden and make the Free Peoples draw a card.
This guy is great for adding burdens, with Gothmog’s Warg it adds one vitality so Stormie can exert twice.

Sauron, The Lord of the Rings, Minion, Maia, S24,V5,S6, Damage +2, Enduring,Fierce For each Burden you spot, threat you spot, and site you control, Sauron’s twilight cost is -1.

For one thing Sauron is powerful, Big, Bad, and The lord of the rings, One time the freeps had 9 burdens and I controlled 2 sites and Frodo was on site nine, I placed Sauron down for 7 twilight, so sweet it made my teeth rot out.

Here is my deck
Minions
Sauron, The Lord of the Rings
Siege Troop
Olog-Hai of Mordor x2
Great Hill Troll x3
Gorgorath Troop x2
Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul
Gorgorath Swarm
Gorgorath Officer
Siege Commander
Orc Slaughterer
Gorgorath Stormer
Gorgorath Keeper
Orc Trooper
Possessions
Grond , Hammer of the Underworld
Vile Blade
Gothmog’s Warg
Ithil Stone
Conditions
Troop Tower x2
Tower Walkway
Orc Bowmen
Thin and Stretched
Desperate Defense of the Ring
Events
Hate
Enheartened Foe
Above the Battements
Desperate Measures

As you can see, this deck has all of these and a few more put in to make it a sweet deck, the burdens work together, one of the only bad things is when I am trying to Corrupt the ring-bearer and I get Desperate Measures, and I don’t want to remove a burden and it clogs my hand. This deck works with site control and burdens.
These are the cards that I have In my deck, I want some other cards, so I am working on getting them.
Last edited by Gagnut on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:29 am; edited 1 time in totalI don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:36 pm
Good article, Gagnut. The only thing I find fault with is that you did not include all Sauron cards that add burdens. Apart from the ones in your deck, they are: The Ring’s Oppression, Verily I Come, Gleaming In The Snow, Eye of Barad-Dur, Grishnakh, Orc Captain, Wisp of Pale Sheen, Orc Officer, and The Ring Is Mine!. It would also be good to include the deck’s weaknesses, or what cards or cultures can defeat it. Otherwise, a solid article. I give it a 3. Very Happy
I had to put something here.
han_feizi
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:35 pm
I’m happy to see that someone at last noticed good old red orcs.

Very Happy
Recently I was examing some new strategies and I’ve found extremely powerful combo:

1) use red orcs to gain initiative (Orc Inquisitor x4 + Tower of BD x4)

2) add some more standard discarding+burdening cards (Gagnut examined them well)

Now goes the clue - Nazzies from RotK.
gain initiative (see above) and ...
play U. Attea
play U. T for free
exert U. Attea to add TWO burdens (in shadow phase!)

It’s a very nice combo but that’s the beginning. Generally speaking, red+wraith combines very well. There is one orc which gets Wraith cards from discard back to draw deck. Adding 5 burdens add good old Enquea starts its job.

The whole strategy is, of course, to discard as many cards (opponent’s Very Happy ) as possible. Burdens are sub-strategy (mind you Irresistible Shadow). Your fp should discard cards as well (Dwarves or, my favourite, Elves with White Arrows)

IMHO this is one of the most dangerous archetype of deck in expanded format - sometime you may lose the game but if you have good drawing you can win with any deck

______

/footnote/
Do not overuse this strategy - after a while you would not have opponents (discarding makes opponents furious)
Gagnut
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:53 am
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
Good article, Gagnut. The only thing I find fault with is that you did not include all Sauron cards that add burdens. Apart from the ones in your deck, they are: The Ring’s Oppression, Verily I Come, Gleaming In The Snow, Eye of Barad-Dur, Grishnakh, Orc Captain, Wisp of Pale Sheen, Orc Officer, and The Ring Is Mine!. It would also be good to include the deck’s weaknesses, or what cards or cultures can defeat it. Otherwise, a solid article. I give it a 3. Very Happy

This is the deck that I have, I haven’t seen very many instance for using verily I come, The culture that does the best against it is proabley Gondor, but I’m not sure, It might also be [elves].
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
Gagnut
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:55 am
P.S. I’ll add that to my article.
fingolfin
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:07 am
Joined: 30 Mar 2006 Posts: 321 Location: it's getting hotter in Iowa every day
Good Deck. Very Happy I like killing more than corrupting though.
Soldier: why'd you do that captain?

John Wayne: Because I hate your guts!!

Exerpt from "Iwo Jima."
bobtheorc
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:17 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Neat artilce but it was pretty short. If you take out the game text of the cards you have less than a half a page of material. Also as AP mentioned ou missed some good cards.
Some of what you said semmed kinda obvius but oh well. You get a 4
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:17 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
it was a little short and as AP said you missed some cards. you get a three
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Gagnut
Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:27 am
Yeah, thanks. Neutral
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:55 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
You should also put more explanation into how the cards work together. Basically, you said "Here’s Sauron cards that add burdens, and here’s a decklist." You might want to cut down on listing cards, and stress how to use them together.

Also remember that you don’t need card text in the article. I can just click on the hyperlink and get it all. You can reference it, or summarize it.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest