LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:53 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
My idea of a preliminary deck, with the least number possible of rares
--- end description ---

Planning on the Regionals!

As I said before, a friend of mine is coming to visit me on June 20th, bringing a Ravnica: City of Guilds and 2 Guildpact sealed boxes. However, Regionals are on June 24th, so I can’t quite count on getting a lot of rares I might need, so I decided to just plan a deck with what I’ve already got/can easily get my hands on, and twist it once I see what rares I get, so any ideas are welcome.

MAIN DECK:
Forest x18
Llanowar Elves x4
Birds of Paradise x4
Utopia Sprawl x4
Silhana Ledgewalker x4
Dryad Sophisticate x4
Skarrgan Pit-Skulk x4
Carven Caryatid x4
Moldervine Cloak x4
Giant Growth x4
Reclaim x4
Wurmweaver Coil x2

SIDEBOARD:
Leyline of Lifeforce x4
Naturalize x4
Savage Twister x4
Gruul Signet x3

Now, I decided to go with a monogreen deck for two reasons: 1-Lack of time/cards to get my hands on Duals. 2-Nobody will be quite expecting it, and most decks will be built to capitolize on the dual-land meta. Also, because of the lack of trampling, I decided to go with evasion creatures. More on that later.

Lands - Yes, 18 might seem a low count. However, I have 12 one-drop accelerators, so the deck has potential to a 30 mana production, so I can play with only one land in my opening hand.
Llanowar Elves - One-drop accelerators, and also something to keep me alive in emergencies (since he can tap in response on blocking, paying for a Giant Growth to make him a 4/4 blocker out of nowhere!).
Utopia Sprawl - One-drop accelerator, yes, but also produces red mana (check the SB and you’ll see why that’s necessary), and if I need it to play a Savage Twister, even if an opponent destroys it as soon as I drop it, the red mana will already be in my pool.
Birds of Paradise - Here for 3 reasons: 1-One-drop accelerator; 2-Can produce red mana; and 3-They FLY. They can save my arse, in the event of a massive flyers swing, and THEY can also be an evasion creature, with Moldervine Cloak and Wurmweaver Coil enchanting it.
Silhana Ledgewalker - The main star of the deck. Evasive, and Last Gasp, Putrefy, Mortify (well, you name it!) free, WHILE Cloakable and Coilable! Great great GREAT creature!
Dryad Sophisticate - Evasive on its own, with all the duals meta. Just get her big enough, and swing to make opponents cry! Although not as good as Silhana, a nice swinger.
Skarrgan Pit-Skulk - Lacking trample, this is a fairly overlooked card, evasive on its own. One-drop 2/2 (with bloodthirst, something not difficult using Silhana and Dryad) make him an improvised Isamaru. Moldervine Cloak it, and you’ll have a TERRIBLE beater, since it will catch opponents by surprise (they’ll have a 2 power creature ready to block it, rendered useless).
Carven Caryatid - Serves 3 important purposes: 1-Keeps me alive against aggro. 2-Provides at least A LITTLE card acceleration. 3-When Giant Growthed, can kill a Kodama of the North Tree without dying.
Moldervine Cloak - Will ALWAYS be enchanting someone, with its Dredge ability, and a nice card on its own, specially when played on Silhana or Pit-Skulk.
Giant Growth - For emergencies, its main use being DEFENSIVE! Should only be used during attacks as a finisher.
Reclaim - To get back dead creatures, or even Wurmweaver Coils, AFTER they become 6/6 Wurms! One mana, instant. Great, great card!
Wurmweaver Coil - A deadly card on its own, the secondary ability of creating Wurms makes it even better! Just enchant Silhana or Pit-Skulk and swing for the win in 2 turns, tops.

Now, for the Sideboard:
Leyline of Lifeforce - I HAVE to get my creatures on the field, and Spell Snare damages this deck GREATLY!
Naturalize - To get rid of Heartbeats, Worships and Jittes, not to mention Signets and other annoying stuff.
Gruul Signet - Provides acceleration on its own, but ALSO produces red mana, to make sure you can use Savage Twister when you need it.
Savage Twister - Will play the role of Wrath of God, should you REALLY need it. However, its main use is clearing the board of weenies/tokens, while keeping YOUR big swinger alive. Also, if you have Silhana as the main swinger, being a sorcery, Sava Twister won’t allow opponents to in response Pyroclasm, Savage Twister and/or Wildfire it. Even if they do it on their turn, then YOU can, in response, play Giant Growth to keep it alive and swinging.

Well, that’s it for now. As soon as I crack open those boxes, I’ll post the list of Rares I got, but this doesn’t mean ideas won’t be welcome now! Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:52 am
Anyone? Ahm... guys, I’d REALLY appreciate some help, here...
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:53 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
18 lands is a bit on the low side. Decks like a Goblin sligh deck could afford to play with only 18 lands because of the Goblin Lackey (play 1 goblin attack with it and get 1 goblin for free) and lots of 1cc creatures and spells.

Your deck looks a bit slighish because you do have a lot of 1 drops (24 to be exact). However, 1/2 of those cards are accelerators. That’s not really logical. You want to accel but you don’t have enough lands in your deck to ensure yourself of a consistent 2nd or 3rd land drop.

I would drop some of the accelerators for land. 22 lands with 8 accel cards are good enough IMO.

Then I have another question: why do you accelerate? Your threaths only cost 1 or 2 mana. You probably don’t want to play the Pit-Skulk on the first turn (because of the 1/1 token) so your threaths cost 2-3 avg.

By the time you want to play reclaim, you will also have the mana for recollect which is better IMO.

Gatherer of Graces + Moldervine Cloack = Tech

I’m not a great fan of Wurmweavr Coil. It is very expensive to use. I’d rather play a creature for that mana like the Solifuge, KotNT or the Simic Sky Swallowing juggernaut.
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
Ilvaldi
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:22 pm
I hate to say this Musco, and no offense, but you’re gonna get wiped clean at regionals if you enter with this deck.

Its too fragile. Not much of a win condition in here. Don’t expect your green friends to put the beatdown on your opponent’s life total to 0. White is quite the common color at regionals. a fetter could prevent the use of a cloaked fella. Wrath can turn the tables on you quickly. You’ll need to splash in red if you want this to work. Red for burn.

Sorry to say, but you’ll need stuff like char, bloodhand, and solifuge if you want to get a pretty good flow of damage. Untargettable creature are usually unstoppable. Burn is good if your opponent thins out your creatures.

If you plan to go aggro, you should put jitte in.

The best budget I could think of is if you go red/green with the cards I suggested. Re-post your idea so we can work on it a bit more. It’s viable to become zoo or gruul.

As for rares and etc. I’m pretty sure you can work with trade deals with some of the members here or we could lend you stuff. I have 4 chars and 4 bloodhands if you need them.
The First
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:08 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
I agree with Ivaldi (but you could’ve guessed that out of my review). I don’t think however, that Green - Red is the best budget option. Turning this deck into Gruul would also destroy the main theme a bit. I think that Green - Black is the best option to keep the theme of this deck and keep it budget (and do well).

Revised deck:

4x Sophisticate
4x Ledgewalker
4x Pit-Skulk

obvious reasons: difficult or impossible to block. Ledgewalker can’t be targetted.

4x Gatherer of Graces
4x Genju of the Cedars

Gatherer becomes huge with a Moldervine Cloak. Either an eternal beatstick or an eternal blocker to buy some time for the Sophisticate, Ledgewalker and/or Pit-Skulk to deal their damahe. Far superior to Carven Caryatid IMO. The Genju is here because it survives Wrath of God. This deck is also pretty cheap so there will be enough land available to use the Genju.

= 20 "creatures"

4x Putrefy
3x Crime/Punishment

Sweeper and Point removal spells. Isn’t life great?

4x Moldervine Cloak
4x Unholy Strength
3x Blanchwood Armor

Cloak goes w/o saying. The strenght is cheap and gives a good pump for its cost. Blanchwood Armor are the finishers. Put it on an unblockable creature (probably different from game to game, even though a Pit-Skulk with this armor seems to be equal to gg).

= 18 other spells

+22 land. Shockland or Painland would be nice but aren’t necessary IMO because there are only 11 spells that require black mana.
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 am
Yeah, I’ve been working on a Golgari deck, as another option, and also on a monoblack, although I don’t quite think it will do any good. The thing is I need more untargetable creatures like Silhana, which I can pump, but it’s getting hard to come by. I think I’ll post the Golgari version in here, and then just wait ’till Tuesday, to see what I get, and post the results here. We can go from there. I think it may be the best way to go for now, at least...
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:01 pm
If you’re on limited rares, try building the Gruul deck wins theory. The actual cards matter some, but the concept and the philosophy are what counts. Meaning, yes, you can use hammers over chars.

As far as I’m concerned, G/B is a weak combination in standard right now.

Not your best deck, best article, or best land count.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:25 pm
Yeah, I’m aware of all of those comments. But, as I said, not intending it to be any of those. More of a thread (I’ll post the results here later, or else I could just have posted it in the Deck Clinic area; also, people tend to read this section/respond to it more) to get as much help as I can before the Regionals. I’ll post the Golgari later, anyway, since I found it to be a nice deck. Liked it a lot, even if not pro-material. Anyways, hope you come back to give me some hints anyway, after Tuesday, Grail! Hope you all do!
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:49 pm
Yeah, I should have time to be on more because school is ending. Oh wait... I have two nights with people coming over and maybe two parties. Sigh. I’ll try to be on, I should manage to respond and help some.

Remember that the Regionals are what determines who makes the Pro Tour. If your deck can’t at least win a few games, even two of ten, on the PT, you shouldn’t be going to regionals.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:53 pm
First off, how in heaven did I get a grade on this article? Well, doesn’t matter. Yep, you’re right, alright. Thing is: IF a win a spot at the Nationals, I’ll:
1-Have TIME to get what I may need/want to build my deck.
2-Everyone here’s gonna give me a hand, lending me anything I need/want to take with me to the Nationals.
3-It’ll give me the boost of confidence I need to get back on track, and the courage to spend a couple more bucks on Magic...
Well, I used to play Magic before, and the only thing I did was play a Pre-Release, don’t know, was "afraid", maybe. Then, I switched to LoTR, and me and my friend (we shared cards) won every single tournament we took part on, A LOT of them in 1st AND 2nd places (however, since they were mostly swiss, we used to play against each other much), so I saw I had a knack for deck-building. Since I decided to come back to Magic, and the tournament is on such short notice, I’m actually trying to prove to myself I can play on tournaments. I don’t intend to WIN the Regionals, I actually think it’s pretty much impossible for me, being rusted and all, but I’ll just try to do my best and see where my skills can get me.
Thanks for any help I might get!
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest