LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

100%
  [ 2 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 2
Pipeweed
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:32 am
--- description ---
The four part article on building an open three hunters deck crammed into one big article.
--- end description ---
So you want to build a Towers Block Open three hunters deck. This deck type is one of my personal FP favorites in Towers Block Open deck building. This is the first article in a set of three, explaining the process of building a three hunters deck.
First, we will be looking at possible companions and allies for your deck. Then possessions and artifacts, then events and conditions, and finally the finished deck. Let’s start with your key figures, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. This deck will Focus on using the dwarf/elf combo of Legolas and Gimli, and on wounding minions before the skirmish phase, so that the remaining minions left on the table will not cause much trouble for your fellowship.
Please note that we will only be using cards from the Towers Block.

COMPANIONS

Aragorn, Heir of Elendil

Obviously this could prove to be a valuable card, if you decide to run a hunters deck with very few companions. The defender +1 could save you from swarms or larger numbers of minions. And he is only a common.

Aragorn, Wingfoot

Not much to say about this card. Since you won’t be running unbound hobbits, he really can’t do much good with his game text.

Aragorn, Defender of the Free Peoples

This is a good card if you are going to be playing with tokens. The option to heal a dwarf is good for a Legolas and Gimli combo, but still, for the deck that we are designing in these articles, it is not the best choice.

The final choice for Aragorn is HoE. He is defender +1, and is only common, and while Wingfoot is good for unbound Hobbits, and DotFP is good for tokens, the defender +1 is irreplaceable, and he is a common to boot.

Now we will be looking at Legolas:

Legolas, Dauntless Hunter

This is obviously a great card period, but once again, we are not running unbound hobbits in this deck, so the function is not much good.

Legolas, Elven Comrade

Here is a card that could work very well in our deck. He is an archer (obviously) and the game text that allows him and Gimli to work together even more is great. In the next 2 articles we will be looking into more dwarf/elf combos, so this is an excellent choice.

Legolas, Archer of Mirkwood

This is another good card. Healing Gimli could be very useful, and if you have some other elf companions like Lorien Swordsman, it could really help. It makes a very good Legolas/Gimli combo, and it is nice that you do not have to exert Legolas as with Elven Comrade.

The final choice is Legolas, Archer of Mirkwood. You can use him to heal Gimli or other elven companions, and you don’t have to exert him to do it. With a little bit of a strength boost, you can have him winning many skirmishes, and constantly healing your companions.

Next we will be looking at Gimli the dwarf.

Gimli, Lockbearer

Sigh, here is another one of those cards for unbound hobbits.

Gimli, Unbidden Guest

Well, here we have a very good possibility. He is common, and you can exert him to pump Legolas up by two strength this can make for a good combo with Legolas AoM. Exert Gimli, pump Legolas, Legolas wins the skirmish, heal Gimli.

Gimli, Skilled Defender

This is another good card. If you pump Gimli, he can easily win and then wound more minions, but there is not as much possibility as Unbidden Guest.

Pretty obviously, the final choice for Gimli is Unbidden Guest. Using him with Legolas AoM would make a very good combo for killing off minions.

If you were to add any more companions, I would add a couple Lorien Swordsmen. They are probably the best non-unique companions in the game, and you can use Legolas to heal them.

POSSESSIONS/ARTIFACTS

In the previous section, we looked over the different options for companions for our deck, and this is what we came up with:

Aragorn, Heir of Elendil
Legolas, Archer of Mirkwood
Gimli, Unbidden Guest
Lorien Swordsman

There are obviously possessions that are very useful for each of these companions, and that is what we are about to explore.

Axe of Erebor

Here we have a very good card for Gimli. Automatically, he is damage +2, and 8 strength. Not too shabby. If you are not using any dwarven conditions, there is some debate over the twilight cost, but in my opinion it is a very good card for any deck using Gimli.

Elven Bow

This is an obvious one. Since this deck is focusing on wounding minions before the skirmish phase, it is a must have for your deck. Used with the Lorien Swordsman, it will work very well, because the Lorien Swordsman works off of wounds.

Elven Sword

This is pretty obvious as well. You will want to have a couple in your deck for an extra strength boost.

Sword of Gondor

Your deck will want to have a couple of these for Aragorn. You might be thinking it would be smarter to use Ranger’s Sword from the Fellowship Block, and it is, but for this deck, we are only using cards from the Towers Block. It is better than Blade of Aragorn, because you can almost always count on minion’s being roaming for at least sometime, and Blade of Aragorn is only good for Uruk-Hai.

Hobbit Sword
(1, +2)
Text: Bearer must be a hobbit.
Common

Obviously, have a couple for Frodo.

Legolas’ Sword

This is good for Legolas. Hopefully, using some archery and direct wounding, your deck will kill off most minions in the skirmish phase, letting you move again, so this will help heal up Legolas when moving in the regroup phase, just to prepare for another skirmish.

Banner of Elbereth

This is a very useful card to use on Lorien Swordsman. Since he probably will win most skirmishes by his game text, it helps to go through your deck and pull what you need.

Naith Longbow

This is a good card for this deck. It will definitely be useful with Lorien Swordsman. Since you can always heal him up if Legolas wins a skirmish, you will not Fear to exert him.

So there you have it. In the next part we will work out the events and conditions. I will leave you with the possessions that will work in our deck.

Axe of Erebor
Elven Bow
Elven Sword
Sword of Gondor
Hobbit Sword
Legolas’ Sword
Banner of Elbereth
Naith Longbow

Do keep in mind that we may not use all of these cards.

EVENTS/CONDITIONS

You may notice that there are a superior amount of events and conditions listed for the dwarves, due to the fact that the elves can get most of what they need through the text of Legolas, AoM, and the Lorien Swordsman, combined with some bows. But let’s get straight to the point and take a look at some events and conditions for this deck.

Best Company

This card is a simple strength boost for Gimli. It is also nice because of the zero twilight cost.

Ever My Heart Rises

This is a nice card for shuffling through your draw deck. It is also nice that you do not have to exert to perform any of the actions listed in the game text.

Here Is Good Rock

I like this card for the deck we are using. Since we Focus on getting wounds on minions through direct damage, and then finishing them off in the skirmish phase to double move, this helps to kill off those high vitality minions that might cause a problem for moving in the regroup phase. Gimli can be damage +3 here with the Axe of Erebor.

Khazad-ai-Menu

Another basic strength and damage boost for Gimli. Since you can almost always spot Legolas, Gimli, combined with Axe of Erebor, would be 11 strength, 3 vitality, and damage +3. Ouch!!

Quick As May Be

This is pretty obvious. Using Legolas and Gimli, it would really kill off some minions.

Restless Axe

Holy Cow! This is one good card. Just by exerting Gimli (whom you can later heal with Legolas) you can shuffle Ever My Heart Rises into your deck, and kill off some minions to double move. This is a must have if you want to run down the site path.

Feathered

This card would really work well with this deck. There is a fair amount of archery to get the minions with, and then to use this when fighting some high strength minions combined with Lorien Swordsman . . . all I can say is it would be great. I have heard stories of people getting the Balrog down to 1 strength with this card!!!!

War and Valor

This is the only event or condition in this deck for Aragorn. Since we are heavily relying on the Legolas/Gimli combo, there is not so much need for cards for Aragorn, but just a little strength boost is all we need. Besides, Heir of Elendil is defender +1.

Defending the Keep

This is a pretty good card. The 0 cost is nice, and with it, you can Get Back some of your conditions, or go through your deck to dig out the good cards.

Forewarned

This card would go well with Defending the Keep. Use it to look at the top card, and then decide whether or not to draw it.

Swiftly and Softly and Severed his Bonds

And finally, something for Frodo. Even with HoE’s defender +1 text, a swarm could still kill your fellowship. This is just for an emergency when you find yourself with more minions than you can handle.

So, after taking a brief look at those cards, we have come up with a POSSIBLE list. Not all cards would probably be used, but I’ll let you decide which ones you think should go in, and how many as well:

Best Company
Ever My Heart Rises
Here Is Good Rock
Khazad-ai-Menu
Quick As May Be
Restless Axe
Feathered
War and Valor
Defending the Keep
Forewarned
Swiftly and Softly and Severed his Bonds

THE FINAL DECK

tarting:
Frodo, CH
The One Ring, AtaR
Legolas, AoM
Gimli, Skilled Defender

Free Peoples (33 + 2)

2x Aragorn, HoE
2x Axe of Erebor
4x Elven Bow
2x Elven Sword
3x Hobbit Sword
3x Sam, StB
2x Ever My Heart Rises
4x Quick As May Be
3x Baruk Khazad
3x Severed His Bonds
3x Lorien Swordsman
2x Pathfinder

For those who have watched the progress of this deck, you may notice that we have made some changes. We have switched Gimli, Unbidden Guest with Skilled Defender, deciding that it might be useful for this deck to rely on moving in the regroup phase, and as you can see, we have mostly pumps and conditions for Gimli. We’ve added some Baruk Khazad’s into it to help Gimli win skirmishes. We also switched Swiftly and Softly for Severed His Bonds, added Samwise in their to help with corruption, and 2 pathfinders to help you double move into your sites when it is risky. We have chosen Courteous Halfling as our Ringbearer because there is no better choice for Towers Block, and since we are using cards only from Towers Block, it definitely is obvious. Answer to All Riddles will back us up with an extra 2 vitality for Frodo in case of swarms.

Now all that needs to be done, is to pair it with a shadow side. None better than a Towers Block Sauron Swarm, designed by Pat Sullivan:

Shadow (35)

2x Gollum, Stinker
1x We Must Have It
2x Evil-smelling Fens
2x Teeth of Mordor
1x Morannon
3x Orc Insurgent
2x Grishnak
4x Gate Trooper
4x Gate Veteran
2x Orc Cutthroat
3x Orc Infantry
3x Orc Pursuer
3x Orc Runner
2x Southron Commander
1x On the March

I do not have anything to really say about this shadow side, except that it is a pretty basic swarm.

And finally, to throw in some sites to fit the deck

1 The Riddermark
2 Plains of Rohan Camp
3 Barrows of Edoras
4 White Rocks
5 Hornburg Parapet
6 Hornburg Armory
7 Cavern Entrance
8 Valley of Saruman
9 Palantir Chamber

I think it is pretty obvious why we chose those sites. If you have any questions., PM me.

There you are, the completed deck. I think this has been a fun series of articles as we have built this deck together. I give half of the credit to Sullivan, he really helped a lot with the design of this deck.

Maybe next time, we’ll do one for King Block.

Thank you,

Nick D.
Pipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Cycle Engine
Joe Meets God: A Humorous Article on a Budget

GP http://fxhome.com/userref.php/11923 GP
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:34 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
decent article but it still has some of the weaknessess that it had as a 4 part series. I still think you shouldn’t list a Shadow side unless you plan to analize it and explain how it works. After spending a lot of time on the free peoples side You just say .
Pipeweed wrote:
I do not have anything to really say about this shadow side, except that it is a pretty basic swarm

Also it seems sorta iffy to copy a shadow side that someone made although you do give credit to Sullivan.
You still tend to say the obvious about cards and do not really give any special or interesting insight into the cards.

strategy in the Possessions, events/conditions, and companions sections. You mostly just say this card will work and this one will not work for the deck. Not much strategy until the final section. Also now that you combined all the parts the article seems very long. I still think it would have worked as a 2 part series. Will vote later.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Pipeweed
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:06 pm
Actually, Sullivan and I designed the deck together on DeckTech. It was designed specifically for this purpose.
Pipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Cycle Engine
Joe Meets God: A Humorous Article on a Budget

GP http://fxhome.com/userref.php/11923 GP
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:15 pm
Ok I get that, but you still should explain and devote more effort to your shadow side. After all you have a lot about your pretty understable freeps but nothing about the shadow..
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:28 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
you took my advice humm I will have to decide whether to give this a 3 or a 4
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
sperzdechly
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:24 pm
Nice article. You didn’t have to add shadow side of the deck. Article would be as good as it is or even better. I haven’t play block format since...RotK AFAIR. TTT was quite a long time ago, so this strategy is a bit overdated. I find it also a bit to long, you could easly make it shorter without loosing anything.
I also can’t decide between 3 and 4...
bobtheorc
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:26 pm
I agree with sperzdechly. You get a 3 for a decent but could be improved with some more effort.

p.s. I PM’ed you a possible trade.
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:30 pm
... I really agree with everyone else. hmmmmm. Someone needs to make an awesome dwarf/elf article every one so far has failed to get a good vote...

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest