LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:35 am
--- description ---
Building a swarm resistant Knight deck.An introduction to fortifications, how they work, and some of the cards that work with them.
--- end description ---

Fortifications: The Foundation of Gondor Swarm Resistance

Part I
Fortifications, I’ll head into introducing them.

We’ll start with Seventh Level.
Since almost all swarm minions have low vitality, this Fortification can kill off some of those extra minions. Use this to try to kill off some swarms. Although, not recommended for most decks, since it has a high cost.

Sixth Level

You would use this Fortification to return Seventh Level, or your other Fortifications to you Support Area.

Fifth Level

The more fortifications you can spot the better. This Fortification should be used if one of your Gondor companions is about to be overwhelmed. Although it can be used any time, of course.

Fourth Level

This is one of the best Fortifications to use. For example, Bob plays the Balrog. Joe faces the Balrog against Imrahil. He moves Fourth Level to the Balrog, - 4 vitality, and then he follows up with a Men of Numenor, killing the Balrog. Good against all powerful minions when used with MoN.

Third Level

Makes a minion become roaming for 4 more sites. This works really well with Rangers, since most ranger events are better against roaming minions. Also, some Rangers, like Ranger of Minas Tirith are strength + 2 and damage + 1 against roaming minions.

Second Level

A lot like Third Level. Once again, I would use this Fortification in a Ranger deck.

First Level

Strength – 1, this transfers in the maneuver phase, like Second Level. This Fortification works a bit with Every Little is a Gain, since ELIAG works only in the maneuver phase.

Stone Tower
Lowers vitality, most likely kills most minions, or at least exhausts them.

Citadel of the Stars
Lowers vitality so that you can kill them off easier.

City Wall
This condition could help you out in death or life for one of your companions.

Here is a decklist for a Gondor Knight Fortification deck.

Conditions
2x Sixth Level
4x Fifth Level
2x Citadel of the Stars
1x City Wall
3x Fourth Level

Events
4x Men of Numenor
2x Great Gate
2x War Must Be

Part II

Companions

This deck would preferably have knights in it. Since you need to spot 3 knights or exert 2 men to transfer most of the fortifications (except for Stone Tower) one of the companions you want is Ingold. He works well with fortifications if he has his normal vitality of 3. In the Regroup phase, exert him twice to play two fortifications out of your discard pile using Sixth Level. Then discard one of those fortifications to heal him twice.

We will throw in one copy of Ingold, and you might want to play Denethor with him in your Starting. Boromir, HoO is also good. And, since right now we are looking at swarm resistance, we will put in a copy of Garrison of Gondor. Elendil, High-King of Gondor is just plain good. These two would go in your starting fellowship. Imrahil will be tossed in, for his exerting ability. Aragorn, Captain of Gondor because of his vitality, and we will have Isildur as ring-bearer, although any old Frodo would work, somewhat. This is called a knight-mashing. Bring in all the knights, pick some, and mash them together, and hope it works.You could also use Guard of White Tree, he works well.

Now, here are our companions.

Companions
2x Garrison of Gondor
1x Alcarin, Warrior of Lamedon
1x Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith
1x Ingold
1x Elendil, High-King of Gondor
2x Faramir, Defender of Osgiliath
2x Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth
1x Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms
2x Aragorn, Captain of Gondor

Possessions
We will use several Gondor Bow to finish off the extra minions who are wounded, or have 1 vitality. Kngith’s Mount will help with exertions for the minions also. 3 blades at least, and if you don’t want Anduril, you can throw in another one.The Saga of Elendil is for Isildur, to keep his health up. Banner of Westernesse is for healing after skirmishes. So now:

3x Gondor Bow
3x Gondorian Steed
3x Gondorian Blade (4 if you prefer)
1x Anduril, King’s Blade (1 to 0, depends)
1x the Saga of Elendil
2x Banner of Westernesse

Orc would be able to put up a good fight against trolls, if you have Fourth Level/Men of Numenor.
[Uruk-hai]pretty equal,
Men The archery would probably smash this.

Any swarm: Knights+fortifications smash swarm, (at least in my experience)
If you have Isildur out, he is the only thing you want to watch for during swarm.
Corsairs would probably kill, (at least in my experience).
One thing to be afraid of is Castamir of Umbar. If you don’t have Men of Numenor in hand, then don’t play Fourth Level on him, which would bring him up to 20 strength, not something to laugh at.

Even though knights w/ fortifications are being forgotten, (so says SoP)
I hope this article teaches you (if your new, or old at the game, Older, you might have used this, but it is quite exspensive). Thank you for reading,

A_E
Last edited by Aragorn_Ellessar on Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:23 pm; edited 11 times in totalOne Ring to rule them all
One Ring to find them
One thing to bring them all
And In the darkness bind them
TheShyzle
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:52 am
This looks like a decent article. I would make sure that all of your cards are linking. And where is Denethor Lord of Minas Tirith? I will wait for you to corect the links and see about voting later.
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:03 am
I don’t know.
One Ring to rule them all
One Ring to find them
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:07 am
Fixed, btw, thanks for posting.

Avoid double posting. ~AP
One Ring to find them
bobtheorc
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:30 am
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Pretty good article.
Fix the description tags so that the first part of yoru article the description ---
Building a swarm resistant Knight deck.An introduction to fortifications, how they work, and some of the cards that work with them.--- end description ---
works.

You could use more of an intro, ie, what the purpose of the article is.
I would also put in how this deck would do against other decks, like COsairs, Uruk swarm, corruption. etc.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:45 am
ty, BtO
One Ring to find them
fingolfin
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:49 pm
Joined: 30 Mar 2006 Posts: 321 Location: it's getting hotter in Iowa every day
There some other good possessions and companions, like Gondorian Steed and Alcarin warrior of lamendon. BTW another good card to add in a deck that has Aragorn Elendil and Isildur is King’s Legacy.

Another thing, before you post you should make sure all the hyper links work because CG and E_L go nuts about it.
Soldier: why'd you do that captain?

John Wayne: Because I hate your guts!!

Exerpt from "Iwo Jima."
bobtheorc
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:05 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
No links are annoying.
And Acarin is an awesome knight for your SF.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:39 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
seventh level is horrible.

and why would you return it with sixth?

3 exertions and 5 twilight for what a COTS and a men fo numenor or gondor bwo can do.

I wasa dissapointed when I saw it.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:20 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
seventh level is horrible.

and why would you return it with sixth?

3 exertions and 5 twilight for what a COTS and a men fo numenor or gondor bwo can do.

I wasa dissapointed when I saw it.
I was just putting it into context, you know.You can return any fortification with 6th level, I was just using 7th level as an example, not what I would do.
One Ring to find them

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest