LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
Cobra
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:44 pm
Personally I don't like either of the new Bloodlines Ring-bearers very much. Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation *might* be playable with enough resistance boosters (Ring of Rings, Unequaled Steed) and burden removal (Foehammer), but even so he'll corrupt himself unless you can discard 2 Gandalf cards with every move. What a waste... If I wanted to NOT play my Gandalf cards, I wouldn't play Gandalf! Laughing

Sam, Bearer of Great Need isn't quite so bad. In an all-Hobbit deck he'll easily have 10+ resistance, and his game text could be useful. But he still doesn't beat Great Elf Warrior IMO.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
JDRobinson
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:59 pm
Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 64 Location: Warner Robins, GA - USA
Agreed Coner. The new Ring-bearers could have been alot better. I knew that if Gandalf was to be a R.B. then his text would be a killer. Gandalf will take alot of work. I thought about Gondor and the Scroll of Isildur. Then Watch and Wait from Black Riders and Sharpen your Swords from Return of the King. Plus alot of other burden removel cards. Confused But I am sure that in the future something will be released to help Gandalf. But until then...

Sam was a let down for me. I thought that his card was going to be awesome, though still good, there are better versions of him while he is NOT the R.B. And like Coner stated, he will be only in all-out hobbit decks. His regroup action is ok, but he should have been given some kind of strength bonus. Rolling Eyes Just my opinion.
"Quenuvalye i lamber Eldareva"

-Thou canst speak the tongues of the Elves.
Cobra
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:36 am
That's a great idea -- the Scroll would boost Gandalf's resistance to 12 (assuming Ring of Rings and Shadowfax as well), and the Watch and Waits would at least slow down the burden addition. Gandalf's condition removal also fixes one of Gondor's weaknesses.

Still, that deck would have a major problem against corruption-based Shadows. I'd much prefer to keep Gandalf as a support character... That way all all his burden removal cards can be used to fight the enemy, not himself. Smile

Have you guys seen Pallando? Killer card!
JDRobinson
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:25 am
Glad you liked my ideas Coner. Smile Gandalf has always worked well with Gondor. Pallando is pretty cool, but why are Radagast and Alatar pics of Gandalf? Confused

When this set is released, I want to try to work with Gandalf.
Maybe I can get the gandalf card Jarnsmid from Black Rider to work too. He just needs a way to survive skirmishes. Maybe a flaming stick? *laughs* Laughing

Cobra
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:10 am
I was asking the same question about the Radagast and Alatar pics. I think the focus is supposed to be on the little butterfly-like things -- take another look from that point of view, and the Gandalf "follower" cards (Alatar, Radagast, Pallando) make a lot more sense.

But then the question is: can Radagast and Alatar actually shapeshift like that? I don't recall any mention of that in any of the books.
JDRobinson
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:37 pm
I have the book Unfinished Tales which talks about the lost lore of Middle-Earth and in the book is the story of the five wizards coming to Middle-Earth and greeted by Cirdan. Two of them were clad in sea-blue, one in white(Saruman) one in brown(Radagast) and the other was in gray(Gandalf). In the index is the name Alatar and it is defined as one of the Wizards clad in sea-blue. If you read the lore at the bottom of Alatars card it states this. It is just that the pic is Gandalf in white. Rolling Eyes They needed a pic for Radagast and they got one of Gandalf, when he was dirty and different looking, and a animal since Radagast was a tamer of beasts. I guess that Weta would have had to get people back to take more pics and they did not have the time. The Radagast pic is not AS noticable as the Alatar pic. Confused

They are still cool cards though!

Cobra
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:06 pm
Yeah, I've got Unfinished Tales too, and the Silmarillion, and the Hobbit... Embarassed Read everything through at least once, I think!

What I'm saying is that the people named in those three cards ARE the little butterfly things. For example, the new Radagast image is not supposed to be a picture of Radagast with some little friend in his hand; it's supposed to be a picture of Gandalf, with Radagast in his hand!

Who's with me? Cool
Cobra
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:24 pm
Hey, check this out:

"Stay a moment!" I Gandalf said. "We shall need your help, and the help of all things that will give it. Send out messages to all the beasts and birds that are your friends. Tell them to bring news of anything that bears on this matter to Saruman and Gandalf. Let messages be sent to Orthanc."
"That was the undoing of Saruman's plot. For Radagast knew no reason why he should not do as I asked; and he rode away towards Mirkwood where he had many friends of old. And the Eagles of the Mountains went far and wide, and they saw many things... And they sent a messenger to bring these tidings to me... So it was that when summer waned, there came a night of moon, and Gwaihir the Windlord, swiftest of the Great Eagles, came unlooked-for to Orthanc; and he found me standing on the pinnacle."

So in the book, the link between Gandalf and the Eagles is Radagast. But in the movie, Radagast doesn't appear at all. Instead, the link between Gandalf and the Eagles is a little butterfly-like creature.

Could that provide some support for the idea that Radagast IS the butterfly-like creature depicted in the card?

Or do I just have too much time and/or imagination on my hands? Laughing
JDRobinson
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:45 pm
I looked at the cards closley and you could be on to something. Though like you said I do not remember them being able to change into animals. very intresting.

dexterngo
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:28 am
Joined: 20 Jul 2005 Posts: 60 Location: Manila, Philippines
interesting posts about the book, sadly i dont have them.

im looking forward for the new Sam RB for my Ringbearer Deck featuring him, bilbo and frodo. Though i'm not yet sure who i'll give the ring too.

Sam, Great Elf Warrior is quite hard for me to pass up

dex
Do or do not, there is no try

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion