LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:28 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Gagnut wrote:
Acting the part of a LotR nerd, the Witch-King did’t die, it was like at rivendell, if the Witch King had enough time, he could have come back.

Okay, this is a statement I disagree with Gagnut on. Did the Witch-King really die? An interesting question...and let’s take a look at some quotes from LOTR.

Gandalf the Grey (FOTR: Book II, Chapter I-Many Meetings) wrote:
"But the Ringwraiths themselves cannot be so easily destroyed."

Here’s the first mention of how easy or hard it is to destroy the Nazgul. Note: Gandalf doesn’t say they are unkillable, but instead says they are difficult to kill.

Now, let’s take a look at the actual account of what happened:
(ROTK: Book V, Chapter VI-The Battle of the Pelennor Fields) wrote:
"Shapeless they [the Witch-King’s mantle and hauberek] lay now on the ground, torn and tumbled; and a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world."

That clear enough? I say he died.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:30 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
humm the question isn’t did he die the question is did eowyn kill him or did he die when the ring was destroyed?

I think eowyn killed him.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:34 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
The Witch-King died, alright, since he and all other Nazgûl were bound to The One Ring. However, so was Sauron, and in FotR, his helm, to, "falls to the ground, shapelles, after a scream", and HE didn’t die then. See, Nazgûls are much like Sauron, but they’re dominated by the Ring, while Sauron dominates it. But it works the same way. They live as long as the Ring lives, so, I agree with SoP, the question is more if Éowyn killed him, which she didn’t. She did, yes, injured him badly, so he wouldn’t be around for a while, but since the Ring DID get destroyed in the end, then he died.
I don't like YOU.
Gagnut
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:09 pm
"Never Heard Again" doesn’t SAY he died, it just said that he wasn’t heard from again. HE died when the ring was destroyed, like Felipe said.
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:15 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
"Never heard again in this age of the world." was the exact quote. Furthermore, I can work up a little bit according to the Prophecy, proving that Gollum, by destroying the Ring, couldn’t possibly have killed him, since he is both considered a "man", as he is male-and he could also be considered a "Man", as hobbits were related to Men.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:55 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
True but I think that eowyn struck the mortal wound that was finshed when the ring was destroyed. So in other word a women struck the mortal blow in other words killing the Witch King, so even though the ring was destroyed by a male the Witch King’s death was already in progress.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Neat topic CG.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
WitchKingBlkCapt
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:29 pm
You guys all forgot when Aragorn was sitting in the Prancing Pony and he said this to the hobbits. "Dead? No, you cannot kill them" Granted Aragorn is not as wise in lore as Gandalf but he still knows quite a bit about the nazgul.

Besides as long as I’m around the Witch King still lives! Twisted Evil
"Do not stand between a nazgul and his prey."
MySpace
Gagnut
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:29 pm
I am struck with fear Mr. Green btw, why was he called the WITCH King? that doesn’t make sense Eh?
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:51 pm
Gagnut wrote:
btw, why was he called the WITCH King? that doesn’t make sense Eh?

Dictionary.com wrote:
2: A being (usually female) imagined to have special powers derived from the devil

The Witch-king was slain by Eowyn, no questions asked. Any Lord of the Rings dictionary or guide will verify this. The remaining Nazgul perished when the One Ring was destroyed.
I had to put something here.
bobtheorc
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:29 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Thank you AP for settling this.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion