LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
100%
  [ 17 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 17
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:53 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
Back to Basics: Learn the secrets of building a Block deck where it all started!
--- end description ---

Welcome to Block format! I’ll run the basics on what it is, how it works, and then take you down a more specific road to understand the format by discussing Fellowship of the Ring Block, the one I played for the most time. This is going to be a fairly long read (actually, an absurdly long one), so I suggest you stop if you don’t have time right now, but PLEASE come back later, with more spare time! If you want to skip certain sections, just check the Table of Contents below, and use the Find tool (ctrl+F) to get to where you want faster.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Introduction
2. Why should I play Block?
3. Fellowship Block
3.1. Banned/Restricted cards
3.1.1. Fellowship Block’s list of banned/restricted cards
3.2. Adventure Path
4. So, what should I play in Fellowship Block?
4.1. Free Peoples
4.1.1. Choking Archers
4.1.1.1. How to beat it
4.1.2. Dwarven Massacre
4.1.2.1. How to beat it
4.1.3. The One of a Kind
4.1.3.1. How to beat it
4.1.4. Toolbox
4.1.4.1. How to beat it
4.1.5. Gandalf and Frodo for the run
4.1.5.1. How to beat it
4.2. Shadow
4.2.1. Killer Nazguls
4.2.1.1. How to beat it
4.2.2. Fierce Uruks
4.2.2.1. How to beat it
4.2.3. Orc Wounding
4.2.3.1. How to beat it
4.2.4. Evil Archery
4.2.4.1. How to beat it

4.2.5. Swarms
4.2.5.1. How to beat it
4.2.6. The first Troll deck
4.2.6.1. How to beat it
4.2.7. Twilight Nazgul Corruption
4.2.7.1. How to beat it
4.2.8. Sneak Bomb
4.2.8.1. How to beat it
5. Building a block deck
5.1. Optimize strategy
5.1.1. Spot the weaknesses
5.2. It’s all about synergy
5.3. Don’t be afraid to splash

5.3.1. Free Peoples splash
5.3.2. Shadow splash
5.3.3. Broken cards
5.4. Playtesting

1. Introduction
Blocks are what you call the group of 3 sets that Decipher releases, which generally interact greatly with each other. So far, we have 5 Block formats, 4 of them being complete (meaning all three sets were released). We have Fellowship Block (Fellowship of the Ring, Mines of Moria and Realms of the Elf Lords), Tower Block (The Two Towers, Battle of Helm’s Deep and Ents of Fangorn), King Block (Return of the King, Siege of Gondor and Mount Doom), Shadow Block (Shadows, Black Rider and Bloodlines) and Hunter Block (so far, only Hunters has been released).

2. Why should I play Block?
Block format is not the most popular one out there, nor is it the one with the best prize pool in tournaments. However, it’s the format with the least number of banned/restricted cards, so pretty much anything goes. Also, since the card pool is somewhat limited, Block is perfect for newer players to get the hang of the game, while learning to combine cards that interact well together, and it’s also cool for more experienced players, since there are not so much broken combos available, and that usually benefits the best deck-builder/strategist. For these reasons, “splashes” (see below) are more commonly seen in this formats.
Another nice reason to play block is budget. Block has a rather limited card pool, so you won’t need to spend so much on it. Fellowship Block is NICER because its cards are not that expensive anymore, and let’s face it: Decipher only encourages Standard-play in the bigger tournaments so that players will have to keep on buying new cards. If you check out Magic: the Gathering, for instance, you’ll see A LOT of cards get re-printed (specially good ones), so older players have a shot at building a Standard deck without spending too much, but how many cards have Decipher re-printed? The few rare cards they actually DID reprint, they only did so because those turned out to be worse than they thought, so they became commons and/or uncommons, like Nobody Tosses a Dwarf, Betrayal of Isengard and In the Ringwraith’s Wake.

3. Fellowship Block
As I said before, I will walk you down the path of the very first tournament format ever: Fellowship Block! It’s fun, exciting and requires some level of skill to play, so what’s not to like? Also, this Block was rather limited on companions, so it was almost impossible to make a Free Peoples side with a single culture, so that’s where experience came in: you practically HAD to splash to build a competitive deck. By the way, “splashing” means adding another culture to the deck, to complement it. The Gandalf culture is the most common one to splash in any format, and Fellowship Block is no exception. In fact, since Gandalf is the only companion of that culture in the format, you pretty much either used his as a splash, or you were doomed, since the Shadow sides didn’t have this need for splashing (although some were cool to use). You can learn a good bit about splashing here.

3.1. Banned/Restricted cards
Almost all the formats have at least some cards that are either banned (meaning you can’t use it) or restricted (meaning you can only use some copies of it, usually one), so that broken combos have a stopper, and that decks are more balanced. You can check the lists for each format by clicking on the following links: Fellowship Block, Tower Block, King Block, Shadow Block, Hunter Block, Standard, Expanded and Open.

3.1.1. Fellowship Block’s list of banned/restricted cards
So far, the only card that is restricted in the format is the card Forces of Mordor, which you can only use one copy in any given deck. There are no banned cards, so as I said before, pretty much anything goes in this format.

3.2. Adventure Path
Until the release of Shadows, the site path wasn’t so manipulative. Regions didn’t exist, so each site came with a fixed site number (meaning, for instance, that The Prancing Pony had to be site 1, while Caras Galadhon had to be site 6, so there were no such thing as having the same site over and over on the adventure path) and a twilight number ranging from 0 to 9. Due to cards like A Talent for not Being Seen, No Stranger to the Shadows and Gimli, Dwarf of the Mountain-Race, Decipher decided to change the rules, so that it was more difficult for the Free Peoples player to “choke” (meaning, giving very little twilight) the Shadow Player.
These rules required some level of expertise from the players, but were in fact easier to deal with, since they had to be prepared for a specific site they knew was coming, so there was no need to worry it might be put in the Adventure Path earlier than they expected.

4. So, what should I play in Fellowship Block?
Now, this question has a very simple answer: it depends. It depends on the meta in your region (meaning, what will crush decks easier in your area) and on what you’re more comfortable playing with. I’ll show you some of the most common builds (and some of my own), so you can decide to whether use one of those, tweak them to your liking/needs or create an entirely new one.
Note that some decks may have slightly different variations from one player to another, to better fit the needs on the area its owner is playing, so these are MY versions of them. Also, the Adventure Path suggested will only contain the relevant sites for the side I’m discussing at the moment. All the deck costs below used Cobra Cards’ prices, and included the sites I suggested.

4.1. Free Peoples
Free Peoples in Fellowship Block are rather limited, due to the low count (or low usefulness) of different companions. Almost every deck was multi-cultured (not considering the only Ring-bearer available was Frodo), or featured at least a splash.
So, I’ll now give you the most commonly seen (and stronger) Free Peoples in a Fellowship Block deck, and also give you three of my builds, which were fully original by the time I made them.

4.1.1. Choking Archers, 40 cards (Cost: U$ 93.85)

Starting Fellowship:
Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer bearing The One Ring, Isildur’s Bane
Legolas, Greenleaf
Arwen, Daughter of Elrond

7 Companions:
1 Legolas, Greenleaf (starting)
1 Arwen, Daughter of Elrond (starting)
2 Aragorn, Heir to the White City
3 Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith

2 Allies:
1 Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
1 Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood

14 Conditions:
1 The Saga of Elendil
1 The Tale of Gil-Galad
3 The Last Alliance of Elves and Men
3 No Stranger to the Shadows
1 The Splendor of Their Banners
4 Gondor Bowmen
1 O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!

11 Possessions:
2 Ranger’s Sword
2 Flaming Brand
2 Armor
2 Aragorn’s Bow
1 Elven Bow
1 Mithril-coat
1 Sting

5 Events:
3 Double Shot
2 Might of Numenor

Suggested Adventure Path:
1 - The Prancing Pony
3 - Council Courtyard
6 - Caras Galadhon

This deck chokes other decks a lot, so anything that gets by is killed in the archery phase. If something still manages to survive it, a huge Aragorn can take care of it. Boromir can also get pretty big, and has a great healing ability, so use Gondor Bowmen with him.
This deck pairs up nicely with a fast cycling shadow, like Swarms.

4.1.1.1. How to beat it
Archer-wounding can screw this deck pretty bad, so Moria with Bitter Hatred can be a bit of a surprise and turn the tide in your favor, although the majority of the wounding will still be made by Gondor. However, since most Swarms deck use either (or both) Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul and Ulaire Nertea, Keeper of Dol Guldur, consider splashing in Wreathed in Shadow.
Nazgul decks can splash Relentless charge to take care of the damnable archers, as well as Wreathed in Shadow, although this one is not that great, since it does not prevent directed archery.
Twilight Nazgul can benefit from His Terrible Servants, although the twilight hogging will cripple it pretty bad.

4.1.2. Dwarven Massacre, 43 cards (Cost: U$ 21.40)

Starting Fellowship:
Gimli, Son of Gloin
Gloin, Friend to Thorin

6 Companions:
1 Gimli, Son of Gloin (starting)
1 Gloin, Friend to Thorin (starting)
2 Farin, Dwarven Emissary
2 Fror, Gimli’s Kinsman

2 Allies:
1 Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
1 Grimir, Dwarven Elder

11 Conditions:
4 Endurance of Dwarves
1 Make Light of Burdens
1 Greatest Kingdom of My People
2 Song of Durin
2 Till Durin Wakes Again

18 Possessions:
2 Gimli’s Battle Axe
4 Dwarven Bracers
4 Hand Axe
3 Dwarven Axe
2 Gimli’s Helm
1 Book of Mazarbul
1 Sting
1 Mithril-coat

6 Events:
2 Flurry of Blows
2 Here Lies Balin, Son of Fundin
2 Disquiet of Our People

2 - Trollshaw Forest
4 - Balin’s Tomb
6 - Caras Galadhon

This deck was as much aggressive as a Dwarven deck could get back then. It gives away very little twilight, and has two very strong companions to hold enemies off enough.
This deck pairs up nicely with a powerful shadow, typically Uruk-hais or Nazguls.

4.1.2.1. How to beat it
This deck lacks condition removal, so any deck with powerful conditions can kill it, like Uruk-hais (some builds) and Nazguls. Swarms can be a problem, too, since the deck is heavily dependant on events to survive them.

4.1.3. The One of a Kind, 42 cards (Cost: U$ 57.45)

Starting Fellowship:
Gimli, Son of Gloin
Arwen, Daughter of Elrond

7 Companions:
1 Gimli, Son of Gloin (starting)
1 Arwen, Daughter of Elrond (starting)
1 Aragorn, King in Exile
1 Legolas, Greenleaf
1 Sam, son of Hamfast
1 Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk
1 Boromir, Son of Denethor

1 Ally:
1 Thrarin, Dwarven Smith

6 Conditions:
1 The Tale of Gil-Galad
1 The Saga of Elendil
1 Betrayal of Isengard
3 Endurance of Dwarves

26 Possessions:
2 Ranger’s Sword
2 Flaming Brand
2 Aragorn’s Bow
2 Armor
4 Athelas
2 Gwemegil
2 Asfaloth
2 Gimli’s Battle Axe
1 Hand Axe
1 Dwarven Bracers
2 Gandalf’s Cart
1 Glamdring
1 Mithril-coat
2 Sting

2 Events:
2 A Wizard Is Never Late

1 - The Prancing Pony
3 - Rivendell Waterfall
6 - Caras Galadhon
8 - Pillars of the Kings

This deck is pretty straightforward: play everything you can, as fast as possible, and hack away any minion who crosses your path. It’s got 4 “war-tanks” and room for a utility companion, without activating Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul. It survives pretty much anything you can throw at it, since almost every minion is likely to lose the skirmishes they are in.
This deck is better when paired with a really fast-cycling Shadow, although I designed it (and played it) paired up with Killer Nazguls, and I still won almost every match (although I must admit, my Shadow used to kill my opponents before my Free Peoples had a chance to walk to site 9 most of the time).

4.1.3.1. How to beat it
Since I haven’t really been defeated a lot with this deck, it’s hard to say what could beat this deck. A well played Moria Swarm might cause you trouble if you get some bad hands, and Uruk-hai Savagery-Worry decks can surely give you quite a headache.

4.1.4. Toolbox, 39 cards (Cost: U$ 29.35)

Starting Fellowship:
Merry, Friend to Sam
Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence
Legolas, Greenleaf

8 Companions:
1 Merry, Friend to Sam (starting)
1 Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence (starting)
1 Gandalf, the Grey Pilgrim
1 Aragorn, Ranger of the North
1 Boromir, Son of Denethor
1 Gimli, Son of Gloin
1 Sam, Proper Poet

13 Allies:
2 Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
2 Galadriel, Lady of Light
2 Celeborn, Lord of Lorien
1 Rumil, Elven Protector
1 Orophin, Lorien Bowman
1 Calaglin, Elf of Lorien
2 Bilbo Baggins, Retired Adventurer
1 Filibert Bolger, Wily Rascal
1 Thrarin, Dwarven Smith

3 Conditions:
2 Not Feared in Sunlight

4 Possessions:
1 Mithril-coat
2 Sting
1 Thror’s Map

10 Events:
4 Hobbit Stealth
4 Hobbit Intuition
2 Secret Sentinels

1 - Green Dragon Inn
3 - Rivendell Valley
6 - Caras Galadhon OR Valley of the Silverlode

This deck is the most fun deck I’ve ever built. It has answers to almost everything, it really screwed people’s deck around (by playing Green Dragon Inn as site 1, thus denying them The Prancing Pony), the Starting Fellowship would change depending on which deck I was facing, and it had so many abilities and combos! Really cool for rushing to site 9 (Forests of Lothlorien could be added for this purpose).

4.1.4.1. How to beat it
Since the only really big companion (if you can call that big) is Frodo, Nazguls posed a threat (thus, 2 copies of Not Feared in Sunlight) over time. Also, Uruk-hai swarms would be really annoying, specially when fierce.

4.1.5. Gandalf and Frodo for the run, 42 cards (Cost: U$ 65.40)

Starting Fellowship:
Frodo, Old Bilbo’s Heir bearing The One Ring, Isildur’s Bane
Merry, Friend to Sam
Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence
Legolas, Greenleaf

6 Companions:
1 Merry, Friend to Sam (starting)
1 Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence (starting)
1 Gandalf, the Grey Pilgrim
1 Aragorn, Ranger of the North
1 Sam, Proper Poet

9 Allies:
2 Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
2 Bilbo Baggins, Retired Adventurer
1 Filibert Bolger, Wily Rascal
1 Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
1 Ottar, Man of Laketown
1 Hugin, Emissary from Laketown
1 Bounder

1 Condition:

8 Possessions:
1 Mithril-coat
2 Sting
1 Glamdring
2 Gandalf’s Staff
1 Narya
1 Hobbit Sword

21 Events:
3 Hobbit Stealth
3 Hobbit Intuition
4 Servant of the Secret Fire
2 Sleep, Caradhras
4 A Wizard is Never Late
3 Power According to His Stature
2 Fireworks

1 - Green Dragon Inn
2 - Trollshaw Forest
3 - Rivendell Waterfall
6 - Caras Galadhon

This deck is all about the run, although it might be beneficial to force an opponent to go first, so you can Swarm him (once you outrun him, he’ll have to run too) with your Shadow while making him walk through YOUR site path. Pippin can take some wounds from archery, then be sacrificed to a big minion (maybe using Filibert Bolger once or twice, if he’s out), while Legolas stops early swarms (if your Fellowship’s not set out yet) and Sam is a beast on early sites as well (also, playing Green Dragon Inn as site 1 screwed all those Aragorn decks out there), being able to cancel a skirmish involving two minions. Aragorn is a game-winner, and the card-drawing ability and cycling of the deck is just crazy! If you pair it up with a Moria Swarms Shadow, like I did, the number of cards won’t be an issue, and you’ll be able to dish out some serious damage with it (the Relics of Moria + Goblin Armory + Goblin Scimitar combo with Ottar is just evil!), as well as run for the win, if the need arises, with ease!

4.1.5.1. How to beat it
This deck lacks healing, and deals with most skirmishes by canceling them, so a well-built Isengard Orcs Shadow will be a real pain! Same is for Archery, either a hybrid Moria and Isengard build or a Moria and Sauron build.
Corruption can also have a shot, since burden-removal is not that great. However, the deck generates very few twilight, once it’s set up, so it might get harder as the game goes on to add those last burdens.
Condition-heavy Nazgul are just plain bad, since Sleep, Caradhras will screw it over.

4.2. Shadow
The Shadow side in Fellowship Block is better served than the Free Peoples side, with a lot more options, ranging from beatdown to corruption, to archery and then splashed wounding. For this reason, this part will be a bit larger than the above one (already large enough, if you ask me), but it will contain some very cool pieces of info, even for building non-block decks.

4.2.1. Killer Nazguls, 43 cards (Cost: U$ 45.85)

18 Minions:
4 The Witch-King, Lord of Angmar
3 Ulaire Toldea, Messenger of Morgul
4 Ulaire Nelya, Ringwraith in Twilight
2 Ulaire Attea, Keeper of Dol Guldur
2 Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
2 Ulaire Cantea, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
1 Tower Assassin

9 Possessions:
2 The Pale Blade
4 Nazgul Sword
3 Morgul Blade

12 Conditions:
1 Wreathed in Shadow
3 Drawn to Its Power
4 Blade Tip
4 Black Breath

4 Events:
2 Stricken Dumb
2 Relentless Charge

2 - Weatherhills
3 - Ford of Bruinen
4 - Eregion Hills
6 - Caras Galadhon
7 - Anduin Confluence
9 - Summit of Amon Hen

This build (by yours truly) has won countless games and tournaments. It’s absurdly powerful, and it gets the job done by playing about 1 minion per site. Blade Tip + Black Breath is good-bye, and once the burden count reaches two (usually at site 4, tops), the fun begins, with a powerful Nelya. Then, it eventually reaches 3, and the Swords start to get dangerous. When you get to four, Toldea becomes a killer minion, if bearing a Sword, so the burden count can rise to 5 in a pinch, and Enquea can finish the job.
Tower Assassin is there to get rid of annoying Bounders, Filibert Bolgers and Elronds, mostly.

4.2.1.1. How to beat it
The deck relies heavily on conditions and twilight, so a Gandalf choke deck, packing Sleep, Caradhras can be deadly for this build.

4.2.2. Fierce Uruks, 40 cards (Cost: U$ 35.45)

18 Minions:
4 Troop of Uruk-hai
4 Uruk Lieutenant
2 Uruk Captain
2 Orthanc Berserker
3 Saruman, Keeper of Isengard
3 Uruk Ravager

8 Conditions:
4 Saruman’s Ambition
2 Worry
2 Tower of Orthanc

14 Events:
2 Beyond the Height of Men
2 Can You Protect Me From Yourself?
2 Evil Afoot
4 Lurtz’s Battle Cry
4 Savagery to Match Their Numbers

2 - Ettenmoors
4 - Hollin
6 - Caras Galadhon
7 - Anduin Confluence
9 - Summit of Amon Hen

This build is aggressive, and hurt a lot once Worry’s out (also designed by yours truly, and has also won quite a few matches and tourneys). Evil Afoot and Uruk Captain make sure you never run out of fuel, so you can continually beat your opponent until his Fellowship crumbles. Lurtz’s Battle Cry and Savagery to Match Their Numbers come without notice, wreaking havoc on any strategy you opponent might be planning.

4.2.2.1. How to beat it
This deck completely lacks condition removal, so Betrayal of Isengard can cripple it for life when paired with Archery, so either a Gondor and Gandalf deck, or a Elven and Gandalf deck might have a shot. Splashing Gandalf for Betrayal of Isengard in the Choking Archers build works wonders. Other than that, really hard to beat.

4.2.3. Orc Wounding, 37 cards (Cost: U$ 29.15)

22 Minions:
4 Orc Ambusher
3 Orc Assassin
3 Orc Scouting Band
2 Orc Pillager
1 Tower Assassin
3 Orc Overseer
2 Isengard Smith
2 Saruman, Servant of the Eye

11 Conditions:
4 Under the Watching Eye
4 Orc Bowmen
3 You Bring Great Evil

4 Events:
4 Hate

2 - Midgewater Marshes
4 - Moria Lake
6 - Caras Galadhon
7 - Silverlode Banks

This build is cruel, setting up through the game without the Free Peoples player being able to do much since, most of the time, he will be wounding himself! You will just “wrap things up” with a Hate here and there. Over the time, you’ll eventually get to the Ring-bearer, and then it’s bye-bye, wounds pile up too fast.

4.2.3.1. How to beat it
This deck rolls over and dies to choke decks, as minions require a ton of twilight early game, being difficult to set up quickly.
Also, companion-filled decks might have a shot, since most of the minions are weak, and a swarm is almost impossible, unless you happen to have only about 2-3 companions out, and no possessions on Frodo.

4.2.4. Evil Archery, 40 cards (Cost: U$ 23.30)

22 Minions:
4 Goblin Bowman
4 Goblin Marksman
1 Archer Commander
3 Orc Ambusher
4 Orc Scouting Band
1 Morgul Hunter
1 Tower Assassin
2 Orc Overseer

8 Conditions:
1 They Are Coming
4 Orc Bowmen
1 Goblin Domain
2 You Bring Great Evil

10 Events:
4 Host of Thousands
4 Hate
2 Bitter Hatred

2 - Midgewater Marsh
4 - Great Chasm
6 - Dimrill Dale
7 - Anduin Confluence OR Silverlode Banks
8 - Brown Lands

This bizarre build is actually pretty strong, as it can wipe out an entire Fellowship, specially when it gets to Brown Lands. Either the Free Peoples player is packing The One Ring, Isildur’s Bane, or he may not even have a shot.

4.2.4.1. How to beat it
Directed archery can cripple this deck pretty bad, so the Toolbox build I suggested is simply perfect for dealing with it. However, if you are not careful enough, a couple of Hates and Bitter Hatreds can kill you fast.

4.2.5. Swarms, 40 cards (Cost: U$ 37.60)

21 Minions:
1 The Balrog, Flame of Udun
4 Goblin Runner
4 Goblin Scavengers
4 Moria Scout
2 Goblin Flankers
1 Goblin Scrabbler
1 Goblin Warrior
2 Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur

4 Possessions:
4 Goblin Scimitar

8 Conditions:
1 They Are Coming
2 Goblin Swarms
4 Goblin Armory
1 Relics of Moria

6 Events:
4 Host of Thousands
2 Threat of the Unknown

4 - Mithril Mine
6 - Dimrill Dale
7 - Anduin Confluence
8 - Shores of Nen Hithoel

This build is made so that you can generate tons of twilight, thus playing tons of minions (you can actually play 12-13 minions in a single site for the win, with an average hand), while Ulaire Enquea lurking around keeps Fellowships small enough so that you can get to the Ring-bearer. It’s difficult to stop, and deadly when played right. It’s also the easiest Shadow to assemble a version of, requiring only a few rares (although some expensive ones).

4.2.5.1. How to beat it
Targeted archery can be a problem, since it’ll make the deck discard its precious Goblin Armories, so Elven is a good bet. Also, Secret Sentinels is TERRIBLE to this build.
A Gandalf Splash for Sleep, Caradhras might be good against it, too.
My “One of a kind” build can also make things really difficult, since no Orcs will be winning any skirmishes against it.

4.2.6. The first Troll deck, 41 cards (Cost: U$ 61.95)

18 Minions:
4 Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit
4 Goblin Runner
3 Moria Scout
1 Goblin Patrol Troop
3 Troll’s Keyward

12 Possessions:
4 Goblin Scimitar
3 Moria Axe
2 Cave Troll’s Hammer
2 Cave Troll’s Chain
1 The Balrog’s Sword

7 Conditions:
4 Goblin Armory
2 Relics of Moria
1 They Are Coming

4 Events:
2 Threat of the Unknown
2 Foul Things

4 - Mithril Mine
6 - Dimrill Dale

This build was originally designed by my friend Tito, who shared cards with me, and it won some serious games because of its sheer, brute force (people would almost cry when they saw a Cave-Troll bearing a Hammer, alongside a Balrog bearing a Sword), before people would think of an answer to it, since no one expected something like it when playing Moria. They would expect an occasional Cave Troll, but not a deck revolving around it! This deck actually has the power to build a twilight pool, so that it can play a Troll at every single site after 4, even when playing The Balrog on site 5, being a force to be reckoned! Also, it pounds heavy archery decks badly (with Cave-Troll’s Chain), and that was the meta around here when he made it.
He also designed Toolbox’s first sketches, that we tweaked together, later.

4.2.6.1. How to beat it
Since this deck is all about brute force, and damage bonuses, any build with a strong enough (so they won’t be overwhelmed) Gondor companion or Gimli bearing, respectively, Armor and Gimli’s Helm, can disrupt this build. Being Armor and Ranger’s Sword both common and uncommon, it’s very easy to build around it.

4.2.7. Twilight Nazgul Corruption, 40 cards (Cost: U$ 47.50)

18 Minions:
4 The Witch-King, Lord of the Nazgul
2 Ulaire Toldea, Messenger of Morgul
4 Ulaire Nelya, Ringwraith in Twilight
1 Ulaire Attea, The Easterling
2 Ulaire Otsea, Lieutenant of Morgul
3 Morgul Skulker

4 Possessions:
4 Nazgul Sword

7 Conditions:
2 His Terrible Servants
1 Helpless
4 Drawn to Its Power

11 Events:
4 It Wants to be Found
4 Resistance Becomes Unbearable
1 Return to its Master
2 Wraith-world

2 - Weathertop
3 - Ford of Bruinen
4 - Eregion Hills
6 - Caras Galadhon
7 - Anduin Confluence
9 - Summit of Amon Hen

This deck is a great corruption engine, concentrating in exerting the Ring-bearer and adding burdens until you can play a fully loaded Toldea bearing a Nazgul Sword. Once that happens, having Drawn to Its Power just makes things a breeze. There’s also the Witch-King + Wraith-World combo, or the Resistance Becomes Unbearable + Return to Its Master combo, making this deck versatile enough to resist almost everything thrown in your path, piling up burdens on the way. Helpless is just to get rid of Sam, Son of Hamfast, since he can be a real pain if overly abused (and believe me, the Free Peoples player WILL overabuse him if he sees twilight nazgul).

4.2.7.1. How to beat it
This deck relies heavily on exerting/wounding the Ring-bearer, so if you’re not using The One Ring, Isildur’s Bane, you’re pretty much doomed.
However, choking can make things really hard for the Shadow player, since the Witch-King combo (although deadly) requires about 12-14 twilight to pull off.
Also, canceling skirmishes can often serve this purpose well enough, as can The Shire Countryside, since it means burden removal AND healing the Ring-bearer.
Elven archery, as long as packing up Secret Sentinels, so you can discard His Terrible Servants, can also spell trouble to the overexerted, low vitality nazgul.

4.2.8. Sneak Bomb, 40 cards (Cost: U$ 39.00)

19 Minions:
4 Goblin Runner
4 Goblin Scavengers
4 Goblin Sneak
1 Ancient Chieftain
3 Moria Scout
1 Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur
1 Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul

4 Possessions:
4 Goblin Scimitar

8 Conditions:
2 Goblin Swarms
4 Goblin Armory
1 Relics of Moria
1 The Underdeeps of Moria

9 Events:
4 Host of Thousands
1 Drums in the Deep
2 Unfamiliar Territory
2 Threat of the Unknown

4 - Mithril Mine
6 - Dimrill Dale
7 - Anduin Confluence
8 - Shores of Nen Hithoel

This rather different Swarms build revolved around using Goblin Sneak to get those precious Runners (or Scouts, if playing against elves, so you can use Threat of the Unknown) to the bottom of your draw deck, as well as any other useful minions that didn’t make it to the Goblin Swarms, until The Underdeeps of Moria was played. Once that happened, you could play a huge chunk of minions, generating tons of twilight in the process and drawing a significant amount of cards with the scimitars, while cycling minions with Goblin Sneaks to the bottom of your deck, being very possible to play out 17 minions at a time. If nothing else, it was usually enough to provide the Shores of Nen Hithoel lock, so you could double-move for the win.
This build also features Ancient Chieftain, since he is really big with lots of Orcs out, and some copies of Drums in the Deep and Unfamiliar Territory, so you could take the Free Peoples player by surprise, either stacking additional minions in your Swarms or pulling off an unexpected overwhelm.

4.2.8.1. How to beat it
Since this build plays differently, packing only one copy of Ulaire Nertea, it’s more vulnerable to condition-discarding, so an Elven archery deck, packing Secret Sentinels, is pretty much enough to destroy it. Add in Curse Their Foul Feet, and things can get really ugly!

5. Building a block deck
Building a Block deck is slightly different from building a Standard deck, and IMMENSELY different from building an Expanded or Open one. Since you card pool is rather limited, usually only the best deck-builders will be able to fully take advantage of the format, and guessing what you may be playing against becomes much more important. In Open, it’s hard to be prepared for everything, but in Block, it’s almost na obligation, because you have a good shot at guessing the common builds, since options tend to be a tad narrower.

5.1. Optimize strategy
All decks have a strategy, as simple as “just surviving”, even though some people claim theirs doesn’t. However, the goal to win is to optimize that strategy, to the point that you can pull off anything your deck tries to accomplish constantly, overcoming any counter-strategy you might face.
You can win a match with your Free Peoples side in only one way: surviving until the end of the regroup phase on site 9. So, your Fellowship has to be strong enough to survive, even though the way this is accomplished may differ from one build to another.
The Shadow side, however, is much more versatile, being able to win by either corrupting the Ring-bearer, wounding him until he’s dead or overwhelming him. So, to build your shadow side, you have to choose in advance in which way will you try to win. Decks that try to do all those things at once are hard to build and ineffective. “But that Killer Nazgul Shadow side can do all of those!”, you might be saying, and that’s true. However, the strategy is straightforward: kill companions until you can get to the Ring-bearer. The fact that some burden-adding cards help that strategy doesn’t make it a corruption deck. Twilight Nazgul is a good example of what a corruption deck should look like, and they’re quite different builds.

5.1.1. Spot the weaknesses
No one cares how strong a deck fares against a given build, if it rolls over and dies when facing a different one. Find out the most common builds in your area, and BE PREPARED for them. Pack defenses against powerful builds, or either splash or add a random card or two with enough power to wreck an annoying build.
If a card can totally destroy your strategy, even if it’s not being played right now, BE READY FOR IT, for other players are not stupid, and will do the same, trying to figure out a way of beating your deck, so have answers.

5.2. It’s all about synergy
Your Free Peoples side and Shadow side have to have the same number of cards, so decks can get pretty big. The key thing is synergy between those two “aspects”. If you play a Shadow side that heavily depends on getting a set of cards in hand to play them all at once, you should use a Free Peoples side that either provided you with cycling, or at least didn’t clog your hand. The opposite is also true: if you are playing an archer Fellowship, which needs to set up fast to survive, then you will need a fast-cycling Shadow side to help it. However, mind that BOTH sides of your deck ALSO have to be strong and competitive, since you may have to depend on either one of them to win a match.

5.3. Don’t be afraid to splash
As I exhaustively said before, Block’s pool of cards is very limited, so if you have a strategy, and a card from another culture fits that strategy well without disrupting it, use it. Cards that go well together belong together.

5.3.1. Free Peoples splash
This is the side where you get to be most creative on splashing, since pretty much anything goes. Different cards will usually do the same things, making them work well together, like Legolas, Greenleaf and Aragorn’s Bow. However, be careful with spotting requirements. Ex: If you have only one copy of Gandalf lost through your deck and no elves, then don’t play Elrond, Lord of Rivendell.

5.3.2. Shadow splash
Shadow splashes are a bit harder to do. You can usually splash a subtype (like berserkers in a Tower Block uruk-hai deck) without too much trouble (spotting is generally by culture rather than subtype), but splashing a different culture can be troublesome. As a rule, if you’re packing lots of events with spotting requirements, you shouldn’t splash more than 4 cards, if they’re minions.
Never try to splash minions + events in another culture, unless you want to split your Shadow side in about half, making it a multi-cultural Shadow rather than a splashed Shadow.

5.3.3. Broken cards
Every Block has its broken cards, like Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul on Fellowship Block; or Grima, Chief Counselor on Tower Block. Don’t be afraid to splash so you can use a card if it’s just plain good by itself, just don’t overdo it. Balance is the key to tell a good deck-builder from a bad one.

5.4. Playtesting
The best way to see if a deck works (and to learn how to play it) is by playing. Play as many different people as you can, because different people will play different decks (even if only slightly different) in different ways. This will help you figure out the most played builds around your area, as well as giving you experience and sharpening your instincts.

Well, that was all I had to share, I believe. I’m sorry to have kept you all for so absurdly long, and I sincerely thank you for your time and patience, for reading my work through.
Reviews and critics, as usual, are always welcome!
Last edited by Felipe Musco on Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:23 pm; edited 3 times in totalI don't like YOU.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:26 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
this looks like an extremely long but very detailed article it may take me a couple days to read it.(oh this is the longest article in CC history)

good work.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:29 pm
Holy crap! The longest article on CC ever recorded!

I skimmed over this article, and it looks very good. Once I get the time to read it all, I’ll vote (and let you know what my opinion of it is).
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:53 pm
Thanks guys! Take your time, I know this thing’s huge, I mean, it took me about 1-2 months to put it together, and then tweak it day by day, look through my old binder, sort through cards, remember decklists and even playtest some of them, to see if they were ok.
And am I really a record holder now? On my very first article?
Sweet! Dancing
I don't like YOU.
taipan
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:05 pm
Seems very good to me. I don’t read it at all, but as soon as I get, I’ll vote.

I was thinking ’bout my old Moria/archery deck...good times.

Great work anyway. Applause Applause
elf lvr
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm
Okay first off... WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

NICE ONE! I haven’t read it all the way through yet, but I will!

Does decipher not have sample decklists for some of these stratagies, like Wizards does for Magic, which you used in your MTG article? I’d like to know for my standard article, which, btw, I will definately not be entering this month. (I’d like to have a CHANCE of winning).

Good job.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:05 pm
Decipher used to have a board dedicated to deck designs, but entwined with articles they submited, so decks were budget, or trying to break a card, etc... I don’t remember it featuring decklists for "most payed decks" or something, but I think you could find the World Champion’s deck ’round there somewhere, not sure. Think
But I must say, it was fun rebuilding all this decks, I’ve played most of them at least at one tournament, except for Archery, which I didn’t like back then, but I faced it, like, A LOT, since it used to screw my Killer Nazgul Shadow over, until I tweaked it accordingly. Wink
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:09 pm
Oh, and by the way, thanks for all the compliments so far, you guys! I hope the article itself lives up to the preliminary compliments, though! Wink
I’d hate to see people having to take stuff back.
I don't like YOU.
PorterTroll
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:16 pm
This is possible the greatest CC article ever written, you are a true master Applause Applause Applause 5 from me!
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:28 pm
Embarassed
Thanks a lot! Very Happy
Who knows, if I get some positive feedback on this one (ok, I’ve already got it, but I’m still trying to convince myself to go through so much work yet again), I may be writing one on "casual" formats (all those I listed in the Open Discussion, since I tested those, as well as some you guys listed there, after I ask for permission from the submiters), INCLUDING decklists for them (although only a sample one, one Free Peoples and one Shadow, two tops)... Think
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest