LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:55 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
22 Lands:
2 Godless Shrine
4 Orzhov Basilica
1 Gemstone Mine
8 Swamp
7 Plains

7 Creatures:
3 Angel of Despair
1 Adarkar Valkyrie
3 Dimir Houseguard

7 Enchantments:
3 Phyrexian Arena
2 Faith’s Fetters
2 Debtors’ Knell

12 Sorceries:
4 Castigate
2 Diabolic Tutor
2 Persecute
4 Wrath of God

8 Instants:
4 Sudden Death
4 Mortify

4 Artifacts:
4 Orzhov Signet

Sideboard:
4 Blackmail
3 Zombify
1 Underworld Dreams
1 Culling Sun
2 Faith’s Fetters
2 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Leyline of the Void
1 Cruel Edict

I’m sure the strategy is pretty clear, and for the rare/timeshifted numbers (as well as Cruel Edict), I’m using that number ’cause I don’t have more of those. What I wanna ask is this: how could I alter the "strategy" (rather than the decklist), that is, if I should do it at all, I’m having a pretty positive record so far, my only concern is with the sideboard, I’m not sure how to board for the new meta... I’m considering some Disenchants and Shred to Memory, since Graveyards are being so manipulated nowadays, not to mention Shred transmutes for Disenchant, Castigate AND my sole Cruel Edict. Zombify is there against counter-happy decks, as well as Underworld Dreams (these decks usually draw a lot of cards), AND Leyline is fetchable via House Guard, as are Tutor, Persecute, Wrath, Zombify and Fetters, thus, the main-deck packages is still pretty useful, I’m liking it a lot more than simply adding in 2 more Tutors (oh, which, btw, I don’t have).
Ideas? Thoughts?
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:14 pm
Bump?
Changed the SB a little bit, I’m now packing Sunscour and 3 Souls of the Faultless, in place of Underworld Dreams and the Zombifys. Thinking of adding 2 Tormod’s Crypt.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:31 pm
I would swap out house guards for something else.. maybe zombify? You’ll need some defense against pox.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:25 am
Not really, as I can simply side in Shred memory to prevent Reanimator-like strategies. Also, this list is kinda half-baked, int he process of fine-tuning it, I turned it into an article. The list there looks a wholelot better, in case you wanna check. Also, in this area, there’s a disenchant in the sideboard of it, but I AM considering a swap if I can find a more useful card. Also, House Guards make the body and soul of the deck, they’re what keep me alive against aggro AND control long enough to win, by either fetching memy fourth-turn Persecute or my fourth-turn Wrath of God. And, late game, they can fetch me my Diabolic Tutors, so I can get whatever piece of the ock I’m missing. But do check the article. As I said, looks a lot better there.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:58 pm
I didn’t mean AGAINST Pox exactly, I meant you’ll be facing pox so you might as well get something out of discarding.

I guess for my money, I just like having the best cards in the deck... I think even if a card is slightly off purpose, it’s better to play the better card (not completely off purpose, but as long as it’s close). I think fetters is better against agro or control, and you should be playing four of them instead of just two. Also, perhaps some sort of Ghost Council action? I know you won’t be using the warp very often, but even without warp, he’s much bigger than House guard and gives you a life swing, as well as a chance to sac anything of yours they’ve fettered.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:41 pm
I considered that, but I’m usually busy by turns 4-6, either Wrathing, Persecuting, playing signets, etc... So, since I’ll have time to play a creature only by turns 6-7 anyway, I decided to go with the Angels, since they give me a better edge. Also, in the article Iwrote, I explain another way of dodging Fetters and the like, and creating a small lock (except against VERY cheap decks, who can go land, creature easily), which is Debtors’ Knell, Angel of Despair and Dimir House Guard. Once Knell comes down, if I don’t have anything sexy to get from my opponent’s graveyard, I just get a House Guard, and if I WANT to, I can keep locking them sacrificing the Angel and getting it back. I also wrecked an R/G LD apart by doing this with Avalanche Riders, and I’ve found out that this can play nicely against A BUNCH of creatures out there, so House Guard has grown in importance after that.
Also, I’m using 2 Fetters in the Sb as well, in case I need the lifegain, but I’d rather stick with the houseguards. They get me: Wrath of God, Persecute, Faith’s Fetters, Ivory Mask (using two in the SB), and basically anything else I might want/need, although a turn later, since they also get me Diabolic Tutor. He’s just SO fullof potential in this build! Oh, yeah, against Pox, I also forgot. I posted this list as my deck was, the first time I made it. Now that it’s tweaked, I’m packing a playset of Flagstones of Trokair, too, not to mention discard doesnot hurt me THAT bad, and I ALSO pack a full playset of Signets against LDs and such, and as a means of speeding things up. And I dropped Sudden Death (there are 3 in the SB, but I’m thinking on going to 2) in favor of Blackmail, so I’m disrupting builds more easily with turn one Blackmail, turn two Castigate. I dropped Zombify COMPLETLY, even from the SB, since, as I said, the deck is usually busy at turns 4-6, and if one of my Angels and Valkyries (on a 2-2 basis now, with an extra Angel in the SB) end up in the graveyard, they’ll be back 1-2 turns later via Knell anyway. As I said, DO check the build in the article to give me tips there, since THAT’S the one I’m running now, and it looks quite different than this one. Also, try a few hands on MagicWorkstation or Apprentice, you’ll see how fun this deck is! And howmuch House Guard is fun to have in there! Very Happy But thanks for the tips anyway, they were accurate, as you can see, since I DID tweak the build on those directions. Oh, yes, I’m packing 4 Persecutes, 2 on the SB, against control! I wanted to play this deck against a traditional Snow White (mono-white) build, it LAUGHS at it! That damned life gain... Evil or Very Mad
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:33 pm
If you have house guard, angel, and D-Knell down, you’ve already won, so I wouldn’t think that lock means much.

If a G/R landkiller deck let you get enough lands for an angel or a knell, it’s a bad deck and not worth testing against.

Isn’t this deck a little bit slow to be transmuting for stuff?

I like the call of blackmail over death- that will help against control.

I’m not sure on anti-agro, though. Boros could beat Pox, and that looks like more powerful anti-agro than this deck here.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:01 am
Well, a typical opening hand for Boros would be 2 lands, 2 one-drops, 2 two-drops and a burn. Blackmail will get rid of an annoying two-drop. Then, castigate can get rid of the burn. And Wrath gets me back in the game...
Also, the RG LD was not slow, but couldn’t compete with Flagstones of Trokair AND 4 signets. Not to mention, I wrecked his hand earlier, and got rid of the Wildfires that came my way. It DID take me a while, but I managed to slap down Knell of thetable, and kept recurring his Avalanche Rider for awhile, until I was back in the game.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:26 pm
By sheer numbers, you shouldn’t be able to get 7 land down... they should be playing about 16 landkilling spells, and you have about 26 mana sources. That means you’d need to draw approx. 7/10 of your deck before getting 7 land in play. Wrath, maybe... but boros decks were beating pox in the last major tourneys. I must say I hate playing boros agro so I never really looked into it, but there were like 5 in the last T8 of a major tourney. It was dominated by those and D-storm with gigadrowse.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:27 pm
Yeah, I followed worlds, and I’m familiar with Wily Edel and Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa. See, I tried to play Boros, but didn’t like it, lacks card-drawing and sheer power-per-card (like a Burning-Tree Shaman, etc...).
The thing is, due to Blackmail and Castigate, you effectively cripple their start, giving you time to get back on track, either by a Wrath followed by Persecute, a Faith’s Fetters, some Mortify, etc. As for the landkill, goes the same way, I drew more cards than them due to Arena, and I ALSO crippled their hand with discard. Also, who said anything about 7 lands? I said seven MANA. Wink Seriously, after my signets kicked in the first Persecute, things looked a whole lot easier.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)