LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

50%
  [ 2 ]  50%

25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
david_robertson
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:28 pm
--- description ---
A brief history of cards from the Elven culture, and of the Elves’ role in LOTR TCG.
--- end description ---

This Nikolay’s old feature article, which is being added to the forum database to help us keep our strategy section more organized. This article is NOT eligible for the contest, but feel free to rate and review it!

This article is addressed to all who are interested in the Elves of LOTR TCG. Its goal is not only to serve as a guide through the Elven game tactics -- I hope it will also prove useful for the less experienced players and collectors to learn something more about the beautiful and very effective Elven culture. I am a player and collector myself and I’ve dedicated much of my time to exploring and collecting LOTR TCG cards, so I hope my work here will be appreciated – it’s written by a fan for the fans!

So, since the first edition of the Lord of the Rings TCG was released in 2001, Elves have taken an important place in the game. The Fellowship Block introduced some really great cards that are still valued amongst both players and collectors. Please note that the whole Fellowship Block is added to Decipher’s Standard Format X-list, but if you intend to play for fun or to collect the beautiful Elven cards from that Block, you won’t regret!

At first the Elves were not as powerful as some might think – few companions, a few good events and conditions like Double Shot and The Tale of Gil-Galad, but one crucial advantage – the allies! This type of character really was created for the Elven culture. The archer and non-archer allies were very useful – Galadriel, Lady of Light with Elrond, Lord of Rivendell were my favorite cards – both added to the X-list a long time ago. Lorien archer allies were very effective with a few helping cards and were a big threat to many Shadow Decks.

In the beginning Elves didn’t rely much on companions – Legolas, Greenleaf and Arwen, Daughter of Elrond were more likely to participate in multicultural decks, like the famous ’Aragorn and Arwen’ deck or the early versions of the ’Dwarven-Elven’ Deck. The next two sets, Mines of Moria and Realms of the Elf-Lords, just added more good cards to strengthen the Elves as supporters. Secret Sentinels, new archer and non-archer allies, a fantastic new Galadriel (also added quickly to the X-list) and the brilliant Arwen, Lady Undomiel and Elrond, Herald to Gil-Galad were used in many good decks.

Unfortunately the two strong Elven companions (Legolas and Arwen), despite becoming stronger and stronger (equipped with Gwemegil, Asfaloth, Long-knives of Legolas, etc.), were still not strong enough. It was very difficult for them to survive as a separate Free Peoples culture in a simple Frodo + Elves Deck.

This status quo was totally changed after the release of the Two Towers Block – the Helm’s Deep Battle Elves entered the game! The 47 new cards in the block added many new opportunities, including a powerful opportunity to choke your opponent – the Dauntless Hunter deck was a nightmare for any Shadow Player. (Later this card was added to the X-list too – it had become way too powerful!) And there was of course a whole new game strategy – to create a well-functioning battle deck with the Naith Warriors such as Thonnas and Pengedhel. These characters could be very impressive when equipped with Elven Swords and Naith Longbows. Supported by Legolas, Archer of Mirkwood with his Sword and other Naith Elves, the deck was more than a match for the deadly Uruks and the fierce Evil Men cultures (Raider and Dunland), especially when the Free Peoples player had a Company of Archers in hand.

The Two Towers Block also introduced Elven telepathy, with new versions of the Keepers of the Great Rings (Elrond and Galadriel) and new cards like Gift of Foresight and Forearmed. These cards made the first telepathy decks possible.

The Return of the King Block made the Elves even more powerful. There were two great Arwen cards (Fair Elf Maiden and Queen of Elves and Men), Elrond as a companion, and endless options to use the new game rules, threats and initiative. Glimpse of Fate with Legolas, Fearless Marksman is just one example of these new possibilities. One of the greatest Elven companions was also introduced in the ROTK block -- Cirdan, the Shipwright. This card is a war machine and I love it! The new telepathy cards like Celeborn, Lord of the Galadhrim and Elrond, Venerable Lord were not very effective in my opinion, but are still powerful and deserve attention.

And now to mention my all-time favorite set, released some time before Mount Doom, but without being a part of the ROTK Block – Reflections! The Elven cards made for this set are simply the best! The Elven Ring-bearer, Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom, made this culture totally independent from our good friend Frodo. Reflections also introduced the greatest Elven card ever – Gil-galad, Elven High King. With his spear Aiglos, he became a main companion for nearly every Elven Deck. Glorfindel, Revealed in Wrath and Knife of the Galadhrim are also good cards to remember from the Reflections set.

The War of the Ring Block introduced new cultures, new game tactics, and a few good Elven cards, including a nice new non-archer Legolas with his Bow. The Elven version of Gondor Bowmen, Elven Marksmanship, is also a great card. The Black Rider set added more good cards, including Hadafang and Elrond, Witness to History, which fit well in many decks built with cards from other sets.

The Bloodlines Elves look really promising, and I can’t wait to get and use them in play! I will not write much about them here because they’ve already been explained in a recent article by Conor Brace (LOTR TCG Culture Spotlight: Elves).

Best regards, and good luck in the game!
East Stirling FC RULES!!!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest