LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:34 pm
--- description ---
I created my own subset of standard, designed for cheap decks. This deck relies on blue to stall, green to accelerate, and then fatties for the win.
--- end description ---

Casually Monitored works like this: you start with 20 points to spend.

Commons= 0 pts.
Uncommons= 1 pt.
Rares= 4 pts
Uber rares*= 10 pts

* Uber rares are determined by your playgroup for casual. In my case, standard "uber-rares" are Ravduals, Akroma, Wrath of God, Ohran Viper, Paladin En-vec, Demonfire.

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Mana Leak
4 Coiling Oracle
4 Compulsive research
3 Cancel
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Moldervine Cloak
4 Remand
4 Cytospawn Shambler
3 Simic Sky Swallower

9 Forest
9 Island
4 Simic Growth Chamber

This deck spends it’s points as such: 4 pts (4x moldervine cloak), 4 pts (4x remand), and 12 (3x Simic Sky Swallower)

My theory is that in this casual format, the commons are the key to winning. This is why I selected a counter-heavy G/U deck- Mana leak and cancel are common, therefore costing no points. Also, this gave me access to moldervine cloak, which can just keep coming back. Other important commons include Coiling Oracle, Compulsive research.

Thoughts on this deck?

Thoughts on the format?

Anybody want to write up some more decks for the format?

P.S. I know we can do 5 lists for credit, but that doesn’t mean we can’t do more for fun!!!

EDIT: Do you guys think this should be moved to casual? I can move it, but I always think of casual as whatever cards, not raw standard, and this is casual standard.... sigh. Nothing can be easy.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:46 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I liked the format. I’m still a bit confused about the uber-rare things, but it seems really cool. However, since it’s all about the casual fun, want a cool idea? Extend the concept a little. Assign more points for a team, and have the team build a 2HG deck! They’ll have to sort out point-spending and such, see who gets what, etc. THAT would be REAL cool! I don’t have a very large casual group, so try it out and post feedback on it.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:37 pm
Basically, the uber rare thing is something that limits the amount of amazing cards you play. Saying using 4 akromas is fair just isn’t fair.

As for 2HG... I don’t think my people like doing that much. My "playgroup" is the kids afterschool before I drive home. There’s always a different number of us, with different decks, and we always try to include everybody. So for me, 2HG is a little unlikely. But I’d be happy to try and drum up a little adjustments for the format with you if you want.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:19 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
4 Shamblers? Ouch... What about Utopia Sprawl for uber-acceleration, and Assault Zeppelid? I played a similar version for fun, and it did quite well. And what about Rune Snag? Not worth it?
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:42 am
Felipe Musco wrote:
4 Shamblers? Ouch... What about Utopia Sprawl for uber-acceleration, and Assault Zeppelid? I played a similar version for fun, and it did quite well. And what about Rune Snag? Not worth it?

I could try sprawl, but it’s really hard because stone rain is a popular choice in an almost rare-less format. There’s also more bounce spells. I’ve been not having problems because I’m playing 22 land, 4 of them karoos, and I’m playing llanowar elves as well as coiling oracle.

I disn’t play rune snag because I forgot it was common Razz But also, I usually don’t like relying on luck to pull me two copies of a card to play over mana leak. I like mana leak the least of my counters, so that would be the swap and I’m running 11 counters as is...

Shamblers are in there because it’s hard to find creatures that big at common. I might as well use what I have access to.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats