LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:57 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
For those who were around when I was last active in DC-making, you remember my infamous Duos. For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, here’s how this works:

I used to do this daily, but my schedule is a bit busier now, so I’ll just say that I’ll post Duos at least a couple times a week. I’ll try to keep to Tuesdays and Thursdays, but no promises. Shhh

A DC Duo is just that: a pair of dream cards. I’ll usually try and have some theme for each Duo, sometimes a theme that lasts a week or more. Unless I specifically say otherwise, these DCs will all be from one of the five related sets I’m working on:

- Lasting Alliances, based mainly on The Hobbit and events around the time of Sauron’s first defeat during the Last Alliance of Elves and Men
- The Road Ahead, based around The Fellowship of the Ring
- The Way Into Mordor, based around The Two Towers
- The End Of All Things, based around The Return of the King
- The Third Age (tentative title), my newest set which is sort of like a new Reflections

These sets, collectively, are refered to as Wars of the Ring.

For most DCs, I’ll probably indicate which set the cards are from. All I ask is that you read and enjoy, but please feel free to comment if you have suggestions for corrections, improvements, or just want to say something along the lines of "nice card!". Such comments are ALWAYS welcome. Very Happy

So, without further ado, let’s get this show on the road!

For our first Duo, I thought I’d start with the second versions of two characters I already posted. Both companions (and both versions of each) are found in Lasting Alliances. Enjoy!

4Thorin, King of Durin’s Folk Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 7
Vitality: 4
Signet: Thorin
While you can spot a Dwarf, Thorin’s twilight cost is -1 (or -2 if that Dwarf has the Thorin signet).
All other companions with the Thorin signet are twilight cost -1.
Skirmish: Exert Thorin twice to make all Dwarves damage +1 until the regroup phase.
“‘The king is come unto his hall / Under the Mountain dark and tall.’”

Though this version costs the same as Oakenshield and has the same stats, this version lacks a starting damage +1. That might make him seem less desirable, especially considering Oakenshield’s text that makes him easier to get for only 2.

But King of Durin’s Folk makes up for this in ways that pay off over time. He might not come as cheap up front (though really, getting him at 2 isn’t that hard; having a Dwarf with his signet is pretty easy in Lasting Alliances), but he more than makes up for that by making OTHER Dwarves cheaper. Virtually all Dwarves in Lasting Alliances and several from later sets in Wars of the Ring have the Thorin signet, so you’re looking at saving a lot of twilight in a Dwarf-heavy fellowship.

And while King of Durin’s Folk may not come with damage +1, the fact that he can make ALL Dwarves damage +1 without too much trouble also balances this out in the long run. If you have a way to heal Thorin easily, even if it’s just by keeping several copies of him in your deck for that purpose, your Dwarves can virtually always be running around with an extra damage bonus.

2Bilbo, Excitable Little Fellow Shire
Companion • Hobbit
Strength: 3
Ring-bound.
At the end of each fellowship phase, you may exert Bilbo and add 1 to stack a pipeweed possession or a Shire, Dwarven, or Gandalf tale from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
“‘We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!’”

The obvious contrast with the other version, Expert Burglar, is that this version is not a Ring-bearer. Beyond that they’re rather similar. Expert Burglar takes events and conditions from your discard pile; Excitable Little Fellow does the same with pipeweed and tales. The pipeweed limits his usefulness to a couple specific decks, but as many tales as Lasting Alliances alone has (currently, that set has seven powerful tales that fit the criteria), he’s pretty easy to splash in to most decks.

That’s all for now. Let me know what you think!

EDIT: Fixed Thorin, as recommended. "All companions..." changed to "All OTHER companions...".
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
thonnas7
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:15 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
4Thorin, King of Durin’s Folk Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 7
While you can spot a Dwarf, Thorin’s twilight cost is -1 (or -2 if that Dwarf has the Thorin signet).
All companions with the Thorin signet are twilight cost -1.
Skirmish: Exert Thorin twice to make all Dwarves damage +1 until the regroup phase.
“‘The king is come unto his hall / Under the Mountain dark and tall.’”

I like it. It’s balanced and simple.

2Bilbo, Excitable Little Fellow Shire
Companion • Hobbit
Strength: 3
Ring-bound.
At the end of each fellowship phase, you may exert Bilbo and add 1 to stack a pipeweed possession or a Shire, Dwarven, or Gandalf tale from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.
“‘We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!’”

I think it would work better at the start of the regroup phase, but...actually on second thought this is good. Smile
Turin06
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:11 pm
Well doesn’t this take me back Very Happy
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:40 pm
Great cards; no complaints.

One question though: does Thorin’s twilight reduction for all companions with the Thorin signet apply to himself when he is played? I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t, since it doesn’t name himself (I think that’s how the rules work).
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
NBarden
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:35 pm
It would spot himself. I think. Maybe, "all other companions"?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:01 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Yah, should be "All other companions." Otherwise, that would be insane...

I like these cards, especially the FOTR flavor of them.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:01 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
lets say you spot a dwarf with the Thorin signet and play him for 2. Then since you could spot him his twilight cost would be 1, but that wouldn’t effect the fact that there would be 2 twilight in the pool. Its like that with the Elven twins.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:57 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thanks for all the positive comments, guys. I fixed Thorin as you suggested.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards