LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Extended (Type 1.X)
mr.otto
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:55 pm
Who doesn’t love a combo deck? Who doesn’t like a cheap combo deck? I know that I do. Check this deck out and leave some feedback.

4 Copper Myr
4 Gold Myr
4 Iron Myr
4 Leaden Myr

4 Grinding Station
4 Myr Incubator

4 Netherborn Phalanx
4 Shred Memory

4 Dross Golem

20 Swamp
4 Vault of Whispers

Sideboard
4 Feldon’s Cane
4 Gaea’s Blessing
4 Tormod’s Crypt
4 Words of Wisdom
1 Frogmite

This budget(not counting my crappy sideboard) combolicious deck contains two win conditions. You can either use Myr Incubator alone to create 31 Myr attackers, or you can sacrifice the Incubator with Grinding Station in play to mill out 90 + cards.

The Copper, Gold, Iron, and Leaden Myr can be used for early blockers and for mana production.
The Netherborn and Shred can be used to transmute for the combo pieces(Myr Incubator and Grinding station)
The Dross Golem has affinity for swamps and can be used for damage and protection.

It should be noted that another Budget combo deck can be made using Blue by replacing the swamps with islands, The Netherborn Phalanx with Ethereal Usher, the Shred with Muddle the Mixture, and the Dross Golems to Spire Golems.

This build is probably even better than the black build for a couple of reasons. One- you get a flyer with the Spire Golems as compared to the dross golems with fear. Two - I could see using Muddle the Mixture being used for more than transmuting more than I would Shred (although with Madness and Flashback it’s a tough call)

Whether you love it or hate it, I’d like to hear your ideas about my concept. Also I’m sure there are lots of ideas floating around about concerning adding money to this deck, making it more competitive with the major deck types, or putting your own spin on it.

I’m looking for budget ways of fixing a sideboard. I’m pretty sure that a couple of Feldon’s Cane and Tormod’s Crypt should be put into the main board and a couple of the myr’s should be removed. However, I was trying to make this deck affordable. So the sideboard was added and I don’t own those cards and haven’t playtested it to see if lessening the number of Myr’s would slow it down.

What to expect playing these major deck types:

Control
Shouldn’t be too much of a problem against most control decks. If your combo pieces are countered, it’s fairly easy to tutor up another copy.

Aggro
Since this build requires at least 4 turns to get the myr incubator in play and one to sac. it, you have to survive that long...which can be difficult. An Ensnaring Bridge may or may not help the problem. I’ve never tried it, but since it is an artifact and could slow down an aggro deck, it is prob. worth a try.

Combo
Playing against dragonstorm or the like is a fast loss in most cases, but many combo decks that require finding several pieces can be beaten easily, esp. if you win the coin flip. This deck can build mana quickly and requires only one or two cards and 6 mana to win so it can be fast.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Extended (Type 1.X)