LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Raistlin
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:21 pm
--- description ---
Here is a White/Black control deck which I made and I’ve been playing at Magic Online for some months and is going great, especially at Two Headed Giant. It has an average cost of 3.22 with a very sweet mana curve.
--- end description ---

Main (60 cards)

// Lands
14 Plains
6 Swamp
4 Godless Shrine

// Creatures
4 [RAV] Courier Hawk
3 [RAV] Nightguard Patrol
4 [DIS] Guardian of the Guildpact
3 [DIS] Enemy of the Guildpact
3 [RAV] Stinkweed Imp
4 [GP] Order of the Stars

// Spells
4 [RAV] Concerted Effort
4 [RAV] Faith’s Fetters
2 [RAV] Pariah’s Shield
2 [GP] Mortify
2 [9E] Vulshok Morningstar
1 [9E] Loxodon Warhammer

Sideboard (15 cards)

1 [9E] Loxodon Warhammer
4 [9E] Ivory Mask
4 [GP] Ghostway
4 [TSB] Disenchant
2 [GP] Mortify

How it works (Strategy):

It is obvious that the key card here is the Concerted Effort, a card that give to your creatures the bonuses of any one of them at the beginning of any turn. Well, that’s cool, but is even cooler when you run in your deck cards like Guardian of the Guildpact and Order of the Stars. Let’s have a closer look to the creatures of the main list.

Courier Hawk: It’s one of the commons that I love to play. A ½ vigilant flier it’s very useful at your early turns and it works so good with the Effort, giving vigilance and flying to everyone creature of yours.

Nightguard Patrol
: A vigilant 2/1 at round three with first strike, will give second thoughts to your opponent for any early ground attack. And with Effort in play? vigilance and first strike to all.

Guardian of the Guildpact: Well, protection from monocolored is a great bonus even for just this one creature. With Concerted Effort you have it for all of your crits.

Enemy of the Guildpact: Why not and a little protection from multicolor? Just for to be covered. And the 4-power is great for finishing at later game.

Stinkweed Imp: Great blocker in early game, flying giving to all with the Effort in play.

Order of the Stars: You wait for a couple of rounds, you see what colors your opponent plays and you giving it the right protection. And, yeah I might be getting tiring, with the Effort in play the right color protection to all your crits.

That was the creature part of the deck. At the rest of the spells we see the Concerted Effort of course and 4 Faith’s Fetters for dangerous creatures and dangerous activated abilities (another of my favorite commons). We also see 2 Pariah Shield which can save us at hard times, equipping it to a Guardian of the Guildpact. Any damage for a monocolored source doesn’t affect us at all and the Guardian is still alive! Just awesome! And for multicolored sources, equipping it to Enemy of the Guildpact is the solution to our problem.
The 2 of Mortify is a fair answer to any enchantments and to creatures with triggered or continuous abilities (such as Seedborn Muse). I’ve have added 2 Vulshok Morningstar (it was one of the last changes I made to the deck) because it makes it quicker. Equipping it to a vigilant Guardian of the Guildpact is something that can win you the game easily. And the same thing for Loxodon Warhammer, plus the life gain bonus.

Our Sideboard:

I’ve added 1 plus Loxodon Warhammer, 4 Ivory Mask for any spells that are threatening our life total or our deck, 4 Ghostway for an answer to Wrath of God or Damnation, 4 Disenchant for artifacts or enchantments and plus 2 Mortify.

How much it costs:

The thing that is making the cost of the deck quite big is the 4 dual land and some cards in the sideboard. So, anyone who wants to keep his deck cheap can replace the duals with basic lands, and remove the sideboard or replace it with something else. I think it is a very cheap deck according to how much good can be.

Well, that’s it, I’d like to hear any suggestions about that!

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)