LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
macheteman
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:04 am
--- description ---
Making a deck that becomes that nebulous fear of all decks that rely too much on possessions and conditions.
--- end description ---

One thing that has intrigued me for some time is the fact that when a player designs a deck that depends on conditions or possessions, the people who review the deck faithfully point out that weakness. But the funny thing to me was that I barely ever saw a deck with very significant possession/condition discarding (though some definitely had more than others). Rather, they seem to focus on their own strengths, and how to further their own strategies.

So I thought to myself, what if I could make a deck that did what all condition/possession decks fear having done to them, having all their possessions and conditions discarded away. Even if a deck does not depend on conditions or possessions, it usually can be taken down a notch or two by a deck that discards those cards.

In this article, i will try to present a very effective condition/possession discarding strategy for the shadow, to stomp those free-peoples decks that depend too much on them.

Many free peoples depend fairly significantly on conditions or possessions, and often both. Ithilian blade is probably the most known (and feared) possession deck that is in play, but lesser possessions are still a pivotal part of Lord of the Rings TCG. Conditions possibly have an even greater impact on the game. Many conditions like goblin swarms, have become staples in decks across the board. It is hard to find a deck that doesn’t feature at least a few key possessions or conditions.

So what does a free-peoples player fear? Often, it is this nebulous deck that is waiting to gobble all their conditions and possessions away. (especially when their decks depend too much on them.) This can be effectively and efficiently done in several ways, but, in my opinion, is best done with a combination of Isengard orcs and Raider Southrons. This deck also begins to change the rule of five, to the rule of four, by giving very significant effects to fellowships that play more than 4 companions.

So let’s start looking at the cards. The obvious condition-killer card is Saruman’s power, it is a wicked card. Think, with one exertion and two twilight tokens, all your conditions are gone; All your G for grand, home and hearth, endurance of dwarves, Elven Marksmanship, everything. The drawback to Saruman’s Power is that it discards every condition including shadow conditions. So this deck will not feature any. The possession removal is a bit harder to make effective, but with a little work, we can do it. Let’s take a closer look at the cards.

Saruman’s power: the big killer this deck packs, it removes all your opponents conditions with one exertion. (Since )

Fierce in despair: this is an extremely powerful card that can do a ton of damage when used right, but the problem is, you have to toil, without the toil keyword, to make it work. A hefty 7 and spotting two Raider men, makes this eat a lot of twilight. But, the game texts of some of the Southrons make the chances of this card working a lot more probable. What it does is discard a companion, and also discarding everything he bears. It is best to discard a companion that cannot be brought back, such as a starting companion.

Isengard Axe: a simple hand-weapon that gives an orc strength +2 and adds 1 to the twilight pool.

Scaffolding: This card gives another use for those regroup phase orcs. After you discard orcs to wound your opponents fellowship, you can stack them on this card to prevent more wounds to your orcs, and in turn, letting your orcs survive to the regroup phase to continue the cycle.

Isengard Smith: this is the real possession discarding part of the deck. If he makes it to the regroup phase, he can exert to discard a weapon, but if you can spot 5 companions, you get to discard all free peoples possessions. Every last one of them.

Isengard Shaman: this minion is a really nasty guy for your opponent. He only costs 1, and with a little extra twilight you can save a bunch of wounds from hitting your orcs.

Isengard Journeyman: here is a cheap Isengard orc that uses those extra orcs in the regroup phase, and turns them into wounds for your opponent’s fellowship.

Isengard Tinker: another really cheap minion that discards orcs to wound companions.

Isengard Forger: a cheap orc who can add some twilight if needed.

Orc Overseer: this is the one big orc of the deck. If he gets through with one wound or less, a companion is getting exhausted. That’s really powerful against decks with high vitality companions like Gandalf with narya and Gandalf’s staff, or Cirdan, or any other high vitality companion.

Far Harad Mercenaries: while this deck doesn’t have Enquea, it still packs some hate to those big fellowships. If you can spot the six companions, and another Raider man, you can discard an un-bound companion he is skirmishing.

Southron Troop: against really big fellowships this minion can be a brute since he can assign to the ring-bearer, and with 14 strength, you stand a good chance of winning. If the free peoples player doesn’t want you to assign to the ring-bearer, he is going to have to let you discard a companion.

Southron Wanderer: a fairly cheap minion that can assign to the ring-bearer if you can spot 5 companions. (unless the free peoples player adds 4)

Southron Commander: another minion who can assign to the ring-bearer, when you can spot 6 companions, but they can discard an un-bound companion to prevent that.

Saruman, master of foul folk: Saruman is a deadly minion, because he brings back isengard axe for your orcs.

Another good card that could be added is:
Isengard warrior. it can have a powerful effect on archery fellowships.

The final deck looks like this:

(36)
Events:
3x Saruman’s Power
2x Fierce in despair

Possessions:
4x Isengard Axe
2x scaffolding

Minions:
4x Isengard Smith
3x Isengard Shaman
4x Isengard Journeyman
2x Isengard Forger
2x Isengard Tinker
2x Orc Overseer
1x Far Harad Mercenaries
1x Southron Troop
2x Southron Wanderer
2x Southron Commander
2x saruman, master of foul folk

Strategy: This deck has a very simple strategy, discard all your opponent’s conditions and possessions as you swarm them with cheap orcs, and crush them with more powerful Southrons. The great thing about the way this deck works is that it brings the fellowship down to its own level. With many orc minions and Saruman’s power, swarming and condition removal shouldn’t be a problem, and in the regroup phase you can discard all the orcs to wound companions, provided you have at least one copy of isengard tinker or isengard journeyman on the table. when you discard them, stack them on Scaffolding to prevent wounds. The Southrons give you some more power than the orcs, and also give companion discarding, and some enforcement of the rule of 5. But with Isengard smith and southron wanderer, your opponent might be better off only playing 4. Cycling this large deck shouldn’t be a problem, since there are so many cheap orcs, it should be easy to play them all out of your hand. This shadow deck should effectively rid your opponent of all their conditions, and most (if not all) of their possessions.

Bring your opponent down a notch, and do what they fear having done to them.

I appreciate you all, your time, your votes, and any constructive criticism.
Thank you.

-macheteman
Last edited by macheteman on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:43 pm; edited 3 times in totalCheck out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
NBarden
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:40 am
Not to sound harsh or anything, but I had to read the article 3 times to figure out what you were doing. Your intro is confusing. Good shadow deck, I like it, but Iron Fist of the Orc and Saruman’s Power definitely don’t belong in the same deck. I know you explained how to use it, but its still kinda...ugh.

And the free people’s side doesn’t look like it would work at all. Maybe use Merry, from o’er the brandywine or Merry, Loyal Companion. And what is the Pippin Engine doing in there?

Why not run 4x Measure of Comfort, and use Deep in thought instead of Grown Suddenly Tall. Then you can use Crouched Down to keep your hobbits alive, instead of a small strength +3 pump.

Oh, and if you want your fellowship to survive, yes its antique, but play a Bounder or two and Filibert Bolger, Wily Rascal. Especially with the Green Dragon Inn as the first site or something.

I won’t vote now, but, no insult intended, you’re really getting a 2 or 3 from me. Not to be harsh, but this article could see a lot of improvement. I’m not voting now because I might just be too tired to get it, but it seems to be a little lacking.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:28 pm
It looks like the Shadow side would crash against a choke deck; also, a swarm deck would crush the Free Peoples side. Good article, but is seems like these decks only work well if facing the right kind of deck. Any solo deck and Dwarves would thrive against the Shadow side.
I have to agree with NBarden on this point as well; your introduction is rather confusing. A few grammatical errors were made in the article, and you would have done better to break up your paragraphs so that they aren’t in one huge chunk; it makes for easier reading. I give it a 3.
I had to put something here.
NBarden
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:04 pm
One other thing, you make such a big deal out of Blood Runs Chill as your primary card discarder, but you only include to copies. Why?

And APs right, any well constructed swarm would anhilate this deck. I run a condition light Moria deck that I would love to play against this deck. (3 twilight = 8 minions Twisted Evil)
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
macheteman
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:19 pm
alright, i’ll try to make some adjustments, some major, some not-so major.

just curious NBarden, do you run goblin swarms?

thanks for the advice guys.

-macheteman
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
ROLF!!!
NBarden
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:55 pm
Yeah, but that’s not my primary swarm engine. I’ve run the deck without it.

My primary engine is to play Goblin Scavengers, which allow you to play a Goblin Scimitar, and consequently draw cards. That’s how I throw out tons of minions.

And with Host of Thousands, you basically have 8 Goblin Scavengers, so your pretty well set up with your shadow. Then you couple it with a FP that cycles like crazy, and its easy to get 8 minions out.

However, with Goblin Swarms, I’ve thrown out 14 minions Smile

My point being, its possible to run a powerful swarm without conditions.
NBarden
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:49 pm
Hm...I didn’t notice that many changes, have you made them yet?
macheteman
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:48 pm
no, i have not been able to get on until now. so i’m working on it. that’s cool with your swarm deck!

-macheteman
ROLF!!!
macheteman
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:49 pm
ok, here is what i did: i removed iron fist of the orc, and added a few minions, like saruman. i switched grown suddenly tall for deep in thought, and merry, friend to sam for Merry, From O’er The Brandywine. i also added a couple home and hearth to keep the fellowship very healthy. i also added one more blood runs chill.

i’m not sure that you are right about the shadow not working against choke decks, because most of the minions are extremely cheap. and they will have no conditions to remove twilight. obviously any deck (except hard-core swarm) will have more trouble against choke than not.

so if you could read it through again, to give a just rating, i would be very grateful.

-macheteman
ROLF!!!
NBarden
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:55 pm
Couple points. Hobbit Intuition does not cancel skirmishes, unless you play with fellowship sites. Scaffolding would go well in your shadow, as it would keep your orcs alive until the regroup phase, where you use all their texts.

My 2 cents.

BTW, improved enough for me not to give a 2, but I’m going to have to give a 3. Its just not a top-notch article.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest