LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Tower Block
Mythdracon
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:13 pm
Hey there,

I’m designing a TTT deck and working off of cards that seem to work nicely together. Here’s the decklist of 50 cards:

Sites
1) Eastemnet Gullies OR The Riddermark (recommendations please)
2) Fangorn Forest--play Treebeard
3) Barrows of Edoras--get rid of cards you don’t need (it’s a large deck after all)
4) White Rocks--annoys your probably-Rohan opponent’s fellowship
5) Deep of Helm--play nice Uruks (for which there will be a Shadow side--not yet made though)
6) Caves of Aglarond--Fierce Uruk-Hai so there’s a greater chance of killing off/doing more than 5 wounds to your opponent fellowship before they heal up again
7) Hornburg Causeway--We like minion archery! (have Merry and Pippin take the wounds if need be here)
Cool Wizard’s Vale--ensures you have some minions to launch.
9) Likely a very high twilight no. here to use vs. your opponent if need be

RB+Ring
Frodo, Courteous Halfling
The One Ring, The Ruling Ring

Companions and Allies:
Gimli, Lockbearer (Start)
Pippin, Woolly-Footed Rascal
Merry, Learned Guide
Treebeard, Earthborn
Gandalf, Greyhame
Legolas, Dauntless Hunter x2
Aragorn, Wingfoot x2

Events
Swifty and Softly x4
Severed His Bonds x4
Warmed Up A Bit x2
Quick As May Be x3
Knocked On The Head x4 (not more than 2 needed, perhaps?)
Task Was Not Donex2--remove those nasty surviving minions and move again! =D
Grown Suddenly Tall x2--You don’t have many conditions in this deck (in fact, none). Your opponent will, so this is a nice no-need-to-exert Gandalf alternative to Sleep, Caradhras. Halts opponent fellowship and Shadow both.
Stump and Bramble x2 --Useless if enemy doesn’t have Uruks, but they probably do in TTT, so this will likely help Treebeard. If not, save up to discard and make Legolas stronger when he has his sword.
A Wizard Is Never Late--The only FOTR card in this deck (for the free peoples side at least).
Best Company x4
Valor x4
Feathered

Possessions
Bow of the Galadhrim
Axe of Erebor
Elven Sword
Ranger’s Sword, Sword of Aragorn
Shadowfax
Glamdring, Lightning Brand
Gandalf’s Staff, Walking Stick

Conditions
Dwarven Heart--for use with Axe of Erebor. Gimli is likely to get wounded *somewhere* along the way.

General strategy:
Get Gimli very high on strength so that it doesn’t hurt to assign him to a minion while others are assigned to Merry and Pippin (and discarded while Gimli is in his skirmish if need be, otherwise cancelled with Swifty or Severed). The other companions help discard the hobbits without having too many burdens or exertions going on Frodo.

Treebeard is there to crumple Orcs, same with Gandalf. Legolas is an archer and can help make Shadow conditions more of a nuisance to put into play. He’s also nice because he gets stronger the more wounds there are on the minions left (use archery or Aragorn’s ability, or simply win skirmishes to leave those wounds on minions). Aragorn is the resident Orc-slayer.

ADVICE NEEDED
Obviously, it’s too many cards, and I’ll need advice on what to remove. I want Gimli to be assured of getting his axe or strength bonuses somehow.

I also prefer to cancel hobbit skirmishes rather than discard the hobbits, due to the cost of discarding and the effect it will have upon the Hunters who rely on the presence of unbound hobbits to harrass the Shadow.

Escape was one recommended card for me, and I have one copy. Is it worth playing?

Also, I’m not sure which starting site to use. If I use one, I’ll only need one copy of the companion it allows me to play, and that’ll help cut down the no. of cards. Still, I’m not sure what I prefer: archery and an Elf (there are more things for an Elf in this deck than other stuff) OR Aragorn.

Thanks!
mithrandirmatt
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:16 am
Well this really isn’t a suggestion for your fellowship, but rather a direction that I am taking my fellowship. I am not playing any Treebeard. I am playing Sam, Great Elf Warrior in my starting fellowship. With A promise of course to pump Frodo and Sam, and not to mention Home and Hearth and the shire countryside. Also playing frodo, son of drogo that way if I need can heal him a bunch of times before discarding the hobbits. also playing bilbo, melancholy hobbit with consorting with wizards to choke the twilight pool. with make haste this can be disastrous to your opponent. and since frodo and sam do most of the fighting i have included plenty of strength pumping followers. The only problem with this choice of cards is you must start with Gandalf, Greyhame or else just mulligan. I am playing Sauron trackers that draw cards for me and discard cards from my opponents hand to help disrupt the minion flow towards me and to help cycle my fellowship cards cause this is a large deck. I am using Shadowplay to help with the skirmishes that I do actually win so that the minions will die. It is a risky deck, but I think all unbound hobbit discarding decks can be risky and when it does work it is pretty awesome. But I always find it is hard to double move with this type of deck, so it is important to slow your opponent down.
"If I could be so easily explained, then I would be predictable. Because of my complicated and vastly enriched existence I am cunning, like the weather that changes capriciously without warning."
Mythdracon
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:35 am
Hm. Interesting. Thank you for that insight. Might be a good idea should I ever get another copy of Greyhame.

Still, I’m in love with story-based decks, since the game doesn’t lend itself well normally to actually recapturing the fellowship’s travels in Middle Earth. So...I’ll still be looking for a way to work in the Three hunters.

And A Promise is such a rare card too! Just like Servant of the Secret Fire and Power According To His Stature everyone wants it and few wish to give it away, it seems. Sad
mithrandirmatt
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:12 am
Yea those cards are pretty hard to get hold of, I have been lucky enough to pull 8 promises, all of which are in decks that I am using cause they are just one of those cards that are fun to build a deck around. PATHS and SOTSF are far more rare to get than A Promise though, just cause of the size of FOTR. I am running a rather large deck too, seems like you need a large deck full of many different cards to get things to work the way you want. I just pulled my 4th Gandalf, Greyhame not to long ago and I have been collecting for years...just waiting to fool around with unbound hobbit discarding. It is a cool companion manipulation concept that hopefully in future sets might actually splash into other cultures other than just hobbits. That could prove to be very fun to fiddle with.
"If I could be so easily explained, then I would be predictable. Because of my complicated and vastly enriched existence I am cunning, like the weather that changes capriciously without warning."
Sam-Wise
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:03 pm
[quote="mithrandirmatt"] those cards are pretty hard to get hold of, You come up with really cool stuff.

Sam-Wise Razz
mithrandirmatt
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:36 pm
Sorry, I haven’t been on in a long while, had a lot of things happen in the last couple of months and just haven’t had time to get on here. Thanks for your comment, it is fun to play with the more common/traditional deck arrangements, but sometimes it is more fun to spice things up a little. My email is the same as my user name plus @yahoo if you want to get hold of me that way cause I check it more often, otherwise you prolly won’t see me on here as much, until next year that is, hopefully I will have more time to play around with LOTR by then.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Tower Block