LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
50%
  [ 4 ]  50%

37%
  [ 3 ]  37%

12%
  [ 1 ]  12%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 8
Gillian
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:19 pm
--- description ---
Four versions of standard Rohan after releasing Rise of Saruman.
--- end description ---

This is the article that tells story about new Rohan.Rise of Saruman brings us new cards, and new cards brings us new tactic. I have done four versions of Fellowship, three with Frodo Ring-bearer, and one with Isildur. All four fellowships are standard.

Companions:

Very important companion is Aragorn Defender of Rohan, 8 strength, 4 vitality, Valiant and all Companion, are hunters if ring-bearer fights. In this Freeps he bears new Anduril, horse, and Rider’s Bow. Completely equipped he has 11 strength and 5 vitality, if ring-bearer is assigned he gets hunter 1, and Theoden, Northman, King of Rohan gives him one strength more.

Eomer, Northman has 7 strength, but if ring-bearer fights he has 10 strength, with Theoden and Aragorn in play he has 11 strength and hunter. It is like Third Marshal against minion with 2 wounds + hunter 1. His possessions are Eomer’s Spear, Trusty Weapon, horse, Rider’s Bow, Sturdy Shield and maybe Coif. Usually he will bear follower Rohirrim Doorwarden which will make his strength 15 without Coif and ring-bearer in fight, with fighting ring-bearer, Coif his strength is 20 and hunter 1.

Theoden, Northman, King of Rohan is another companion who makes fellowship stronger if ring-bearer fights. He might bear Rohirim spear or maybe Herugrim, Sword of the Mark.

Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien is another valuable companion she gives wounds to minions, she is also starter companion. Her wounding could even kill ring-bearer opponent before he fights. Her possessions are horse, Spear of the Mark or Eowyn’s Sword, Dernhelm’s Blade, and maybe Coif. Dilemma is which hand weapon I should use on Eowyn. Spear of the Mark gives her one strength, one resistance and she is defender + 1, on Rohirrim Mount she can be defender + 2. With her wounding abilities, defender + 2 is fantastic. Resistance bonus could be useful on Neekerbreekers’ Bog. Eowyn’s Sword, Dernhelm’s Blade is also excellent weapon, you can play it in skirmish and then it wounds all minions skirmishing Eowyn. 3 strength makes Eowyn strong enough to win some skirmish with her own strength, if ring-bearer fights, her strength is bigger. Against shadow which can’t discard possessions, Coif is hers, against others is too risky if she get exhausted with Coif.

Eowyns starter partner is Gamling. New dilemma is Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg or Gamling, The Old. First one is great filter; he gives possessions for your companions. Second is strong when there is lot of hunters, if ring-bearer fights he has 9 strength + 2 hunter. My choice is Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg, because deck is big, and it is better to have more filters.

Merry, Swordthain found his place in two versions of my Rohan. He can do many good things: play discarded possessions, exert minion, remove burdens, and take archery or threat wounds. He is also potential weakness of fellowship. His strength is low, and shadow with assigning ability can take advantage of that. Good thing is that most of the shadow minion with assigning abilities needs vitality for assigning, and Merry can exert them in maneuver.

Riders of the Mark is good card. He can come to play in skirmish, and then he can exhaust one minion. His basic strength is 8, and his high twilight is no problem, unless you want to run. His spotting requirement is also not problem in large fellowship.

Rohirrim Army is not so valuable, without Theoden, Tall and Proud, but 9 strength companions which can be played in regroup is good enough to be in fellowship.

Haethen, Veteran Fighter could also be played, no wound in fierce skirmish is good especially against damage bonus.

Possessions and Artifacts:

Most of equipment is already mentioned. Fellowship needs 3 horses, for Eomer, Aragorn and Eowyn. Six hand weapons: Eomer’s Spear, Trusty Weapon, Eowyn sword/Spear of the Mark, Anduril, Merry’s Sword, Sting/Narsil and Rohirim spear for companion who will need it most.

Rider’s Bow was mentioned earlier. This Rohan doesn’t really need archery, this Rohan fights face to face. Rider’s Bow ads one strength to bearer if he is mounted, and if bearer wins skirmish it gives wound to minion. Eomer and Aragorn are both mounted with damage bonus. That means exert at start skirmish + 2 wound, what is enough for killing most minion, after that bow wounds another minion. That wounding may save other companion. Eowyn can also bare that bow.

There are also two support area artifacts, Throne of Golden Hall, and Scroll of Isildur if Isildur is Ring-bearer. Throne prevents wounds, and scroll gives strength and resistance bonus to Isildur.

Conditions:

There are not many conditions in this Fellowship: Sword Rack, Home and Hearth and King’s Legacy. Use of Sword Rack is obvious. Home and hearth removes burdens when Merry is played, and that could be over and over. King’s Legacy is for Isildurs version of Freeps.

Allies and Followers:

Leowyn is only Ally, if companion need to be heeled he is there.
Rohirrim Doorwarden is necessary, most of the time he will be on Eomer, but if necessary he can pump other companions.
There is 3 other follower that can be considered:
Rohan Stable Master gives one strength for one twilight nothing special, but it can make difference. With new Theoden two followers are needed for liberating site, but site can also be liberated with Anduril.
Hobbiton Farmer, Lover of Pipeweed could be played instead of Rohan Stable Master. Both give one strength, but Hobbiton Farmer can give much more strength, also aid for Farmer is one burden. This is risky fellowship, but sometimes you have to draw the line where risk stops.
Last follower is Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor, he is important for drawing Shire event (Second Breakfast or maybe No Visitors) from discard.

Events:

Last Days of our House is bad version of Simbelmyne, but better bad version of Simbelmyne, than nothing.

Grim Trophy – potential +7 pump, maybe more if minion are hunters two.
Second Breakfast – wounds minion Frodo is skirmishing.

Where Now The Horse – 5 strength to Frodo is good, discarding companion can be compensate.

No Visitors – maybe for saving Merry

Freeps versions:

Versions of freeps have different way of protecting ring-bearer. Tactic is simple. Try to end skirmish with least damage, or even better left none minion alive.

1. Wound protection:

Ring-bearer is Frodo, and minion skirmishing him have to die by getting wounds from Second Breakfast or (and) Rider’s Bow, Eowyn. Task is to make minion exhausted when he need to get death wound.

How to do that?

Riders of the Mark can do it once, but there are 7 other sites for skirmish.

What else?

Frodo don’t have to fight on all sites, in first region that will not be necessary. Maybe sometimes minion skirmishing him will not be very strong, so he will get only a wound, or even win.

Ok, what else?

In maneuver with Merry’s Sword least one minion should be exhausted. This will give exerts to minion, and Second Breakfast will do the rest, Daddy Twofoot will be in charge to return that event. Last possibility is described few times before, Rider’s Bow and wounds from Eowyn.

Example of Fellowship:

Starters:

Frodo, Weary from the Journey
The One Ring, The Ring of Doom
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien
Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg

Eomer, Northman x1
Aragorn, Defender of Rohan x1
Theoden, Northman, King of Rohan x1
Merry, Swordthain x1
Riders of the Mark x1
Rohirrim Army x1
Rider’s Mount x2
Rohirrim Mount x1
Anduril, Sword That Was Broken x1
Spear of the Mark/Eowyn’s Sword, Dernhelm’s Blade x1
Eomer’s Spear, Trusty Weapon x1
Rider’s Spear x1
Merry’s Sword x1
Sting, Weapon of Heritage x1
Rider’s Bow x2
Last Days of My House x4
Grim Trophy x4
Sword Rack x1
Second Breakfast x1
Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor x1
Home and Hearth x1
Léowyn x1
Rohirrim Doorwarden x1
Coif x1
Sturdy Shield x1
Throne of the Golden Hall x1

2. Isildur Ring-bearer

Isildur is my favorite alternate ring-bearer. Good strength, fair resistance, his skirmish penalty is not very ugly, and he has very good toys. Narsil is excellent hand weapon, both versions can be played. Old Narsil have lesser twilight cost, gives one vitality, and with spotting Anduril and Scroll of Isildur gives same strength. New Narsil gives 3 strength always, damage bonus, and possibility of discarding possession. It is sweet dilemma.

Scroll gives resistance bonus, with Anduril and Narsil that will have higher resistance. There is also Footman’s Armor against overwhelm. With all artifacts Isildur is 10 strength, 3 or 4 vitality, and resistance 9 Ringbarer. Give him ring from Shadows, and his resistance is 11.

With Rohan Stable Master or Hobbiton Farmer, Lover of Pipeweed his strength is higher. With his high strength, he is well protected against overwhelming, but there is question how to reduce skirmish penalty.

Against some shadows he can add two burdens without any Fear, but usually he will pay 3 companions exerting penalty. While most of companions have 3 vitality, 3 companions exerting is big deal.

How to reduce this penalty?

One exert must go on Merry, he has 4 vitality, but he can also return to hand in Skirmish, and lose all wounds.

Two exertions are much better, but still not good as one exertion. King’s Legacy could be solution for another exertion. Isildur with 11 Strength can win skirmish against many minions. King’s Legacy says each time Isildur wins Skirmish heal a man, that mean man also, even Eowyn.

So combination of adding burdens, exerting and sites without ring-bearer fighting can keep this freeps going.

Example of Fellowship:

Starters:
Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien

Eomer, Northman x1
Merry, Swordthain x1
Riders of the Mark x1
Rohirrim Army x1
Rider’s Mount x2
Rohirrim Mount x1
Rider’s Spear x1
King’s Legacy x1
Narsil, Blade of the Faithful/Narsil, Forged by Telchar x1
Rider’s Bow x2
Last Days of My House x4
Grim Trophy x4
Throne of the Golden Hall x1
Scroll of Isildur x1
Rohan Stable Master/Hobbiton Farmer, Lover of Pipeweed x1
Home and Hearth x1
Léowyn x1
Rohirrim Doorwarden x1
Coif x1
Sturdy Shield x1

3. Where Now the Horse

This version is based on + 5 strength pump on Frodo. Weakness of this pump is that if Frodo lose Skirmish you have to discard spotted companion. Many times weakness can be turned into strength.

One way to do it is by using Riddermark Soldier. When you play Riddermark Soldier all companion are strength + 2 until regroup. So there is not big deal if he is discarded, another one will come, and give strength bonus again.

Strongest minion can be assigned on him, and after discarding there is not damage from minion.

Example of Fellowship:

Starters:
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien

Eomer, Northman x1
Riders of the Mark x1
Rohirrim Army x1
Riddermark Soldier x4
Rider’s Mount x2
Rohirrim Mount x1
Rider’s Spear x1
Sting, Weapon of Heritage x1
Last Days of My House x4
Grim Trophy x4
Where Now The Horse x4
Léowyn x1
Rohirrim Doorwarden x1
Coif x1
Sturdy Shield x1

4. Where Now The Horse-wounding combination

This is combination of first and third version, this time Where Now The Horse spots Riders of the Mark.

Tactic is simple Frodo fights, one time you pump him and spot Riders of the Mark, next time he aid Daddy Twofoot draw Second Breakfast from discard. In skirmish new Riders From The Mark come exhaust minion skirmishing ring-bearer, and Second Breakfast ends situation.

Example of Fellowship:

Starters:
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien

Eomer, Northman x1
Riders of the Mark x4
Rohirrim Army x1
Rider’s Mount x2
Rohirrim Mount x1
Rider’s Spear x1
Where Now The Horse x4
Last Days of My House x4
Grim Trophy x4
Sword Rack x1
Second Breakfast x1
Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor x1
Léowyn x1
Rohirrim Doorwarden x1
Coif x1
Sturdy Shield x1

Disatvantages:

1. Risk – ring-bearer fights more often, there is bigger possibility he will die.

2. Large fellowship – big possibility you won’t get cards you need early enough. have good filtering which can help to deal with it, but it doesn’t have to work always.

3. You can’t play Rohan with 5 companions or less and that can be very dangerous.

4. Many of new cards are rare, and it will take time to get them all for many players.

5. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan looks much better in ring foil version. To get him will be much harder.

I know that here is one other article about Rohan fighting Ring-bearer strategy, but I think that both article and Fellowships are different enough. We are using at least 3 different companions, and our starting fellowship is much different. If difference is not big enough, than this article will be deleted and no big deal.
Last edited by Gillian on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:00 pm; edited 8 times in total
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:04 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
OK I just read the first paragraph and spelling errors are rampant. Fix those, and I will read the rest. the most common ones,
ringbarer should be ringbearer or ring-bearer

also biger should be bigger

strenght should be strength

I think you said you were not American, but please go through it on a document that has spell-check, and fix these errors.
Also I think it is fine vs. EL’s.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:44 pm
I can’t read this right now. Sorry. Please fix all the formatting and spelling errors and I will try to review it.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Gillian
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:12 am
I fixed much spelling.
Is it better now, or should I give up from writting articles?
NBarden
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:15 am
Better, maybe run a spellcheck, double space the paragraphs, and embolden some of the subtitles. See any of FM’s articles for the best way to format. I use a slightly more relaxed style, check out the solo-strategies article. But you need some format and headings, otherwise you don’t know what’s going on. It seems like you might have some good stuff, but I can’t read it...Confused

Check out this article for the best formatting. It has won a 5.0 rating, and is the highest ranked article in CC. Out of 16 votes, every single person voted for a 5.

http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2242
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:08 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
NBarden wrote:
See any of FM’s articles for the best way to format. Check out this article for the best formatting. It has won a 5.0 rating, and is the highest ranked article in CC. Out of 16 votes, every single person voted for a 5.
http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2242

Hey, thanks! I’ve been remembered! Homage Yeah, I was goona say, this article is lacking some formatting. Also, seems like it was written in a hurry, for instance:
You mention that "there will be 4 fellowships", mandatory. Not true. YOU chose those 4, for a reason. State your reasons. Also, you say that "all three are standard", where of course you mean the ones without Isildur Ring-bearer, but needs clarification. Maybe "Aside from the one with Isuldur as Ring-bearer, all other three fellowhips are meant for Standard format".
And so on. However, NEVER give up writing. I’m more of a MTG writer, so drop by any time, and check my articles there. You’ll see how they were at the beggining, and how they are now. Practice, my friend, always practice! Wink
I don't like YOU.
Gillian
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:06 pm
Text repaired with help of Word spellcheck. I think It is much better now. Thanks on sugestions. I would use relaxed also, but english is foreign language for me. Ten years ago while I was still at scoll, I should pay more attention on my English classes, all classes actually. Unfortunalely those days girls, and fooling around with frends were much more interesting to me than studying.
Gillian
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:21 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:

Hey, thanks! I’ve been remembered! Homage Yeah, I was goona say, this article is lacking some formatting. Also, seems like it was written in a hurry, for instance:
You mention that "there will be 4 fellowships", mandatory. Not true. YOU chose those 4, for a reason. State your reasons. Also, you say that "all three are standard", where of course you mean the ones without Isildur Ring-bearer, but needs clarification. Maybe "Aside from the one with Isuldur as Ring-bearer, all other three fellowhips are meant for Standard format".
And so on. However, NEVER give up writing. I’m more of a MTG writer, so drop by any time, and check my articles there. You’ll see how they were at the beggining, and how they are now. Practice, my friend, always practice! Wink

Actually I was Writting this article for about 20 days, and when I saw another Rohan article I went crazy and finished it in hurry.
First I was writting about 3 fellowships, and after I made fourth. That is the reason of "all three are standard" part. All four are standard, I don’t see any non standard card in Isildurs freeps.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:57 pm
Nice article. Now for the strategy.

Where’s Sam? Suppose by some freak accident Frodo gets killed (Which is very likely). There has to be a Sam to take the ring. Sam, Needer of Vittles is perfect for this, because Merry’s going to be constantly thrown into play, so you can also peel off Daddy Twofoot’s Burdens.

Another idea you may think of is adding Long Live the Halflings. This is an awesome card for this strategy and it would be cool to see it used. Of course, you would need to use Measure of Comfort or the like...

I’m still witholding my vote.
bobtheorc
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:54 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Hey gillian nice article for a someone who doesn’t know English as their first language.
I feel that your article is pretty interesting, but could use a little more wok.
a high 3 from me, and an extra GP for effort.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest