LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

100%
  [ 3 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:24 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Oh, then by all means, don’t fell offended! As I said, the IDEA was not original TO ME, but I DID say that the list WAS very different, and that this one’s BETTER! Very Happy ABout the haste thing, I don’t know, maybe is the format you use to write, which makes it seems that way, but that does not drag down a grade in my book, unless the article is TERRIBLE, which this one’s far from being.
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:05 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
@ Bandfreak. You start your post with "sorry". Why? There is no need to. I know that you just try to add ideas. I might have been a bit rude about dissing most of your ideas but they just do not seem to fit the decklist and general idea of my deck.

It does quite nice against control. It all depends what kind of control and how competitive of course. I played against a UB mill deck with Damnation, Circu and Shadowmage Infiltrator. It actually won the first 2 out of three games. Last game I got a very bad hand (land + 3x Brute Force) even after mulligan.

Against aggro, it all depends. This deck is pretty fast but it cannot block all creatures. Orzhov aggro is very painful because of the disruption and creature removal. I also played against a competitive WW/r and I got the upper hand a few times. But I did not win it thanks to Paladin En-Vec and Lightning Helix to name a few (the Red knight from PC also ran in my way).

All in all, I’d say it has a chance in a competitive meta. You will not win any prizes with it. mid or last places are reserved for you if you have some playing skills.

Competitive multiplayer. Forget about it. Any casual format will do though.

And to both Felipe and Bandfreak: I apologise if offended any one of you. I am very please that you liked the article and that you have taken an interest. I am a bit disappointed by some remarks about my deck, but on the other hand, I might not have been clear about some points. Let just leave it at that. I did write this article in a hurry. I put most of my time in "pondering" and casual playtesting (multiplayer and VS) and less time in writing the article. I usually do it this way but it was also pretty late and my head might not have been very clear.
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:27 am
Hey, no offense taken here! Very Happy Always glad to have other writers (seriously, this was going the 3rd month in less than one year I’d be running unnoposed...)! And as I said, hurrying an article is not a bad thing, as I (at least) usually give the author time to argue and ponder, and even tweak the article. I just didn’t do it this time so you could run for February still. Should you write an article for March (btw, I’m writing one on Building on a Budget, I think you might enjoy it!) and post it soon enough, I’ll be glad to exchange thoughts on it! Very Happy
And about the competitive part, well, as I said, your decklist is not bad, it’s just not tier1 in my book right now. But who knows, right? SnowWhite made Top 8 in tournaments, and no one believed in it! A guy drove a rogue deck to Top 8 last weekend in Grand Prix Dallas, too. I won 4 FNMs in a row with a budget-ish version of Gruul, playing against fully assembled Gruul, SnowWhite, IzzeTron and Boros Deck Wins! So, it’s as I said, who knows? This right here, after some minor tweaks (seriously, I can see Marauder, but Karplusan Wolverine... I have a playset of those, so I’ll try it out, but I’m STILL not very sold on that idea), could be the next dominating deck in Standard!
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:46 pm
Actually said sorry cause on most Magic forums giving ideas that some one doesn’t like well we’ll just say bad idea

You did not offend me at all because of earlier visits to forums well lets just say being a noob is not a good idea.

But I like the idea it just seemed rushed not that thats a bad thing its just my first thoughts when I read it was "Hey is there anyone besides Felipe in the article contest this month." If you had just spent more time writing it then I would have probably given you a four or maybe five

Felipe if I can get the Natural Affinity + Breath of Fury idea into production before then than you’ll have more than just The First to compete with
Cobra
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:00 pm
Congratulations to The First on taking second place in February’s Magic: The Gathering Strategy Article Contest.

Be sure to write another one for us next month -- the prize pool will be tripling! Cool
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
mr.otto
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:59 pm
I can’t see a better card to use with Wee than Psychotic Fury. For 1R you get at instant speed:

Target multicolored creature gains double strike until end of turn.
Draw a card.

This makes Wee at LEAST a 3/3 that swings for 6 damage that cuts through most flyers with ease, and lets you draw a card....perhaps a Fists of the Anvil 1R - Target creature gets +4/+0 until end of turn.

Then you have a 9/3 flyer dealing 18 damage.....sweet.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:37 pm
Fists of the Anvil is no good, it’s from Mirrodin and the article is Standard (meaning from Ravnica through Planar Chaos, including 9th and Coldsnap). But I like Psychotic Fury, though! Problem is... it’s too narrow, only targetting the Dragonauts. I know, they’re the main beaters of the deck, but perhaps some other "golden" creature could be squeezed in... As it is, I’d rather just stick with Brute Force. It can play on ANY creature, and on Dragonauts it means it’ll swing for 6 as well, WHILE saving him from an eventual burn spell. I’d rather have this versatility than drawing a card. Then again, for 3 mana, you can play BOTH spells on him... Wink
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:31 pm
Hey, I’ve got it, Flying Men! Cut the Wolverines and Slivers, add in another Reckless Wurm and a playset of Flying Men!
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:08 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
I guess Flying Men would be better than the Wolverines - even though the Wolverines look more aggressive than those men, barely able to keep their balance on a piece of flying carpet - but I just love those Slivers. I’m also not sure that an extra Wurm will be a good idea... I do not posses that much discard... I will test it though.

Thanks you for the idea! I have quite a few cards to test now... gr8!
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
omnipotentnoel
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:49 pm
i cant help but think that your deck i a rather poor proformer even at the budget standpoint. You need better creatures that Wolverine and Two headed Sliver. Replace these with Wee Dragonots and Flying Men. Also consider adding Remand, Mana Leak, or Runesnag so you can keep your opponents creature less and to counter their board control such as pyroclasm, WOG, Damnation, or wildfire.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest