LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

50%
  [ 2 ]  50%

25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
Mordor Madness
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:27 am
Mad Baggins wrote:
I give you a 5 on those merits.

Hooray! A 5 from another newbie, with my same "birthday" even! Applause

I did go ahead and edit my main article as many people had mentioned that they would like a plain card list, so please find that above. Hopefully no one will be upset that I do not immediately take the suggestions of many posters and incorporate cards past set 10, since I don’t have any at this point. I also suspect that there are a lot of Shadow strategies that could give me trouble that I don’t even know about at this point (Forestguls? Scary??) so it’s hard for me to comment on those aspects.

As I mentioned above, the most trouble I have experienced from Shadow decks (in Movie Block) have come from swarms (Moria / Corsairs / etc.), big Orcs, and big Uruks. I try to defend against those by choking the twilight pool, since big nasty minions usually cost a big nasty amount of twilight. With Uruks, for example, wounding is a problem, especially if they are made fierce (such as by one of my favorite Shadow cards, Hunt Them Down!) so a nice Mithril Coat or a Nice Imitation could surely be in order.

I won’t deny that I have lost Pippin and even Merry on a couple of occasions but I can only think of one or two times that I have lost both Sam and Frodo with this deck. Anyway, please keep the feedback coming. Thanks! Very Happy
NBarden
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:29 pm
Forestguls are Nazgul that take control of the site path and replace it with forests, swarm like crazy with Dark Approach, and then finish you off with Lost in the Woods, which is a massive strength pump for everyone skirmishing the ring-bearer. Its the most powerful shadow side out there.

You say that you have troubles with swarms, how so? They seem like a pretty easy match-up, especially with PATHS, Moria-bane. Corsairs? Well...saying that a deck dies vs Corsairs means nothing, every deck (almost) dies to corsairs, geez Ithilien Blade dies to corsairs. Yours would probably die to that 1 twilight Corsair that kills allies...

And if you run into Hunt them down, Mithril-Coat, Dwarf-Mail is a must. Lose fierce and damage?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Mordor Madness
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:17 am
Well, yes, I guess I should clarify... swarms have really only been a major problem for me when the opponent has had the opportunity to decide to swarm Merry (swordless) or Pippin instead of Frodo or Sam, just to cost me companions / threat wounds that can’t then be placed on Pippin, and thereby cost Sam GEW strength later on down the road by reducing # of Shire companions. I was also thinking that if the opponent is able to get a crazy lot of minions out there before Frodo has a sword or before the Bounders have made apperarances that could be a problem too... but then that could be a problem for any deck makeup, I would suppose - just poor luck getting cards out when you need them... d'oh!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:34 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
well I would definitely explore the newer sets, singles for some of the good hobbit cards aren’t horrible expensive, especially if you have some money to burn. I will give you another week and if nothing new has been done give it a 4, if things have been changed I will review it again.
Good job’Thumbs Up
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Mad Baggins
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:36 pm
Quote:
Hooray! A 5 from another newbie, with my same "birthday" even! Applause

While I am a newbie to the forums, I’m really not. I’ve played the game since it first came out, and I frequent these forums. I just never took the time to sign up. I’m thinking of entering an article of my own so decided to get more involved.

I guess what struck me most about your article is that it is Movie Block. I am a JRR Tolkien fan first and foremost, so I’m somewhat of a purist. Even though it’s just a card game, I can’t stomache the idea of an alternate ring bearer. Actually, I like Block play a lot, my favorite being Fellowship Block. Some old classics never die.

Anyways, I guess I’m curious: do you only play movie block because you and your fiancee just don’t have other cards, or do you or your fiancee not like what’s in the other sets?
Mordor Madness
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:01 pm
Mad Baggins wrote:
I guess what struck me most about your article is that it is Movie Block. I am a JRR Tolkien fan first and foremost, so I’m somewhat of a purist. Even though it’s just a card game, I can’t stomache the idea of an alternate ring bearer.

I agree with you on this, the thought of someone other than Frodo or Sam (or possibly Bilbo) carrying the Ring leaves a bad taste in my mouth (kind of like vomit). I don’t recall Tolkien ever writing about, say, Boromir, bearing the Ring. Because I am sure that would have ended well. He would have just tossed it right into the fire without a second thought, right?? Rolling Eyes

Mad Baggins wrote:
Anyways, I guess I’m curious: do you only play movie block because you and your fiancee just don’t have other cards, or do you or your fiancee not like what’s in the other sets?

The reason we only play Movie Block at this point is because that is all we have. When we began playing, we just used what he had, which I think was only through Tower Block. We have expanded since then. I am sure there are fantastic cards in the later sets (I have already had suggestions of some really nice ones, like the new version of Mithril Coat, Daddy Twofoot, etc.) and we are definitely going to get all available sets as funds are available, but I can assure you, we will NOT be using alternate Ring-bearers!
NBarden
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:20 pm
Mordor Madness wrote:
I don’t recall Tolkien ever writing about, say, Boromir, bearing the Ring. Because I am sure that would have ended well. He would have just tossed it right into the fire without a second thought, right?? Rolling Eyes

Well...there is some rationale behind the ARBs. With Boromir, that’s why he’s so easy to corrupt. Very easy to corrupt. Here’s the rationale behind the ARB.

Isildur- Duh. He bore the ring, of course.
Boromir- He also bore the ring for a little while on Caradhras.
Gimli- Kinda, meh. But it was all they could do to bring dwarves into the competitive gameplay area. He hit the ring with an axe?
Gandalf- Held the ring with a pair of tongs at the shire.
Galadriel- Again, meh. Ring was offered to her, what if she accepted?
Sam- Always been a possibility.
Bilbo- Duh.
Smeagol- Duh.

So there’s the logic behind the ARBs. And Isilidur rules!
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
corvus
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:26 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
Your article was good in terms of strategy, but lacked in prologue and epilogue. You should get it a little more expanded, say a paragraph for each? Will way to vote.

Welcome to the boards.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
Mordor Madness
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:33 pm
I guess I interpret the Ring-bearers as the individuals who bore the Ring for any substantial amount of time (and assisted in its demise) in either FOTR, TTT, or ROTK. This amounts to me as Frodo and Sam. However, I can certainly agree with the logic behind the inclusion of Smeagol, Bilbo, and Isildur as Ring-Bearers. I like your logic for the inclusion of the others but, ummmm... I believe that I am still going to have to pass on them. Maybe my mind will change when I investigate them further. But I doubt it. Just my two cents. Very Happy
NBarden
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:39 pm
Yeah...but from a playability stadpoint, you should probably still use ARBs. Gimli made dwarf decks playable, and Isildur is the best RB for the Three hunters...Boromir ROCKS with IB, and Gimli is a must to get Durin III in the starting Fellowship.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest