LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

50%
  [ 2 ]  50%

25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:41 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I think since he offered the ring to aragorn(kinda) gandalf and galadriel, all of them deserved to be ring-bearers. Gimli and Boromir are a little fuzzier.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:43 pm
Boromir actually carried the ring! Geez.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:47 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
fine by that way Speak to the hand yeah but if he had tried to take it, aragorn would have probably stabbed him as legolas shot him, and gimli chopped of his head, and little hobbits started kicking him, then gandalf would come it and hit him with lightning or something Very Happy unless he had put it on and moved fast.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:51 pm
If Tokien planned it that way...

Oh yeah, he tried to take it from Frodo at Amon Hen.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Mad Baggins
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:20 pm
NBarden wrote:

Well...there is some rationale behind the ARBs. With Boromir, that’s why he’s so easy to corrupt. Very easy to corrupt. Here’s the rationale behind the ARB.

Isildur- Duh. He bore the ring, of course.
Boromir- He also bore the ring for a little while on Caradhras.
Gimli- Kinda, meh. But it was all they could do to bring dwarves into the competitive gameplay area. He hit the ring with an axe?
Gandalf- Held the ring with a pair of tongs at the shire.
Galadriel- Again, meh. Ring was offered to her, what if she accepted?
Sam- Always been a possibility.
Bilbo- Duh.
Smeagol- Duh.

So there’s the logic behind the ARBs. And Isilidur rules!

First off, I guess I’d like to point out that somebody could make a rationale for just about any card you can imagine. However, for myself, being a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien first, the enjoyment of the game is the way it represents the story I love. I feel like, in a way, I’m jumping into the books with the game. That’s how I got into it. ARB’s don’t fit in with the story.

Ok, you can consider potential turns in the story, after all, if we stayed completely true to the storyline, Boromir would have to die in site 9. Gandalf would have to fall in Khazad Dum.

As far as Ring Bearers go, however, the main reason Frodo was chosen to bear the ring was because Gandalf had noted that hobbits had an almost uncanny strength and resilience in their nature which he felt contributed to high resistance to the ring’s evil. It is expressed often and clearly that men are easily corrupted. In my opinion, for anyone other than a hobbit to carry the ring (perhaps excluding Gandalf or Elrond), their resistance would have to be remarkably low. Specifically Boromir, who fell to the ring’s power without even having had touched the ring (except in that movie moment when he briefly holds the chain the ring is on). And Smeagol? Come on now. He’s already corrupt. Isildur and anybody from the Second Age certainly doesn’t belong, as they are long dead at the time of the story on which this game is based.

I will say again: I understand that this is a game. Most people out there that play this game enjoy the new cards and concepts. And Decipher needs to come up with new things to keep selling the products. I understand that and even encourage it. Most people out there are card game players. They like card games, and when LOTRTCG came around, they found it and embraced it. I’m glad they did. There probably aren’t enough people out there like me to support the game past the Movie Block. So I am not judging or putting anybody down for using ARB’s, and I’m sure our friend Mordor Madness isn’t either. I just like the story and that’s how I came to the game. As the game strays from the story (as in the 3 main LOTR books), I stray from the game.

I do understand how the ARB’s create more diversified and powerful fellowships (Isildur does rock!). The game mechanics are pretty cool on some of them. That keeps people buying Decipher’s products. It’s purely a personal thing that I don’t like using ARB’s.

Party on.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest