LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

66%
  [ 4 ]  66%

16%
  [ 1 ]  16%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 6
Glamdring
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:34 pm
--- description ---
An Overview on Site Manipulation cards, and how it adds another dimension to the LOTR TCG game.
--- end description ---

“Strider can take you by paths that are seldom trodden. Will you have him?” In many LOTR games, sites are very important for both the Shadow and Free Peoples sides. For the Shadow player, sites have a huge impact, such as playing Anduin Banks at the right time for an archery bomb, or playing Buckland Homestead for discarding annoying conditions. The same goes for the Free Peoples player, when in need of protection, such as playing North Undeep at the right time when needed. In this article, I will explain what cards are generally used for site manipulation (Not site control. Site Control is a term for the Shadow player controlling the sites in his support area. Thanks AC for showing us the correct term!) and I will go through each of the cards explaining their abilities as far as I am able, and I will show an example deck build around the idea of site manipulation and how it credits to both the Free Peoples and the Shadow sides.

Site Manipulation Cards:
There are a few Site Manipulation cards, but they are separated into the Companions/Events/Possessions/Conditions/Allies/Minions categories. There are commonly more Events that play the next site, but Possessions, Companions, and conditions add a completely new dimension on the Site Manipulation idea.
Companions:
Companions have few roles in Site Manipulation, but there are a couple that do help with the idea. In addition, they give an extra companion boost as far as sacrificing them when other important companions are needed, and you do not want to exterminate those specific companions.
Madril, Ranger of Ithilien: An appealing Free Peoples card, in which he combined with pathfinder can virtually manipulate the whole site path if you are using Forest Sites in your Adventure Path. Even though you do have to exert this chap to play the Fellowship’s next site, he is a Ranger, and can bonus from Ranger cards in the Gondor culture.
Ranger of Westernesse: This particular companion has the ability to play the next site right when he is played in your Fellowship Phase, and he also has the Ranger keyword. He can be splashed into almost any Free peoples build, and can be used for a fodder companion when needed. In addition, he is non-unique, which is why he is so splashable in many builds (like [Rohan]Rohan builds that rely on their plains sites).
Sméagol, Scout and Guide: Whoa! This Sméagol definitely has to be thought of when using Gollum/evil-smelling fens, or some other marsh based Shadow sides (like Tentacle decks). Sméagol also plays the Fellowship’s next site when he wins a skirmish, and he also has four vitality. A very nice card!

Possessions:
Possessions have a very tiny part in Site Manipulation, but, they do help tremendously in the basic idea. If Rise of Saruman ever did come out with some basic Site Manipulation with Possessions, I think it would be very cool, and unique.

Andúril, Flame of the West: This possession once (and still is) had an immense craze over its unique ability, and its cool ability of playing the Fellowship’s next site. Andúril gives Aragorn a +1 vitality, gives him a strength +2 boost, and also states that you may play the Fellowship’s second, or fifth site. A pretty wondrous card!

Events:
Probably the most common of Site Manipulation, these events have been used quite often, and if Rise of Saruman has not created any Site Manipulation cards, Standard players will cry at the loss of pathfinder. (Of course, there is always well-traveled, but pathfinder might be a tad better in some ways.)

Get on and get away: Once popular, this card had been R-listed in a couple of formats because of its unique ability of adding two burdens to play the Fellowship’s next two sites. Not quite the same as well-traveled, but since it can be splashed into all builds, this card has become a somewhat broken card for most formats.
Pathfinder: Probably the most Commonly seen Site Manipulation card, and is quite popular among many Ranger builds. It requires to spot a Ranger to activate its game text, but with no side effects, and can be used to cycle through your hand quicker compared to Possessions and Companions.
Well-Traveled: Another commonly used card for Ranger decks, but it has one unique ability which many LOTR players have savored over. One of its unique abilities is that it can play the Fellowship’s next two sites when played in Region 1. The bad effect is that you do have to exert a Ranger to use the card’s game text, but Rangers generally handle that effect easily.
Speak Friend and Enter: This card, as you can see, works with Gandalf, and the cool idea behind this card, is that you may draw a card if the next site is Underground. It would most likely work with Underground Dwarves/Gandalf splash.
Very Nice Friends: An interesting card If you ask me, yet there is a harsh penalty for not moving again, which makes it sometimes not very useful, and more harmful. As far as playing Sméagol from your discard pile, and if you want to get rid of some extra annoying cards in your hand, this is a card for your choice. I would personally not recommend it for Sméagol builds.
Still Far Ahead: Probably one of the more useful events, and works wonders with choke builds. I definitely recommend sticking it in a Solo Sméagol build.
One Good Turn Deserves Another: A very cool card! You can keep on recycling this by adding a burden to take it into your hand after you have played it. A very sweet card! (of course, you do have to have at least some burden removal to keep the cycle going. Also, it may clog your hand)

Conditions:
Conditions are very helpful in many ways, because of their ability to play on specific (or general companions) companions, or in the support area, in which they can be saved until needed.

Follow Sméagol: This individual card has the ability to almost control the whole site path, and is non-unique. Despite the fact that the bearer must be Sméagol, it still is a card to be reckoned with.
Thror’s Map: A hobbit site replacement card which works well with Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish, and The Gaffer, Master Gardener. A must have for Hobbits who rely on their own sites.
Pressing On: Adding threats is the negative side of this card, but if used right, you can prevent many exertions as Thror’s map uses instead. Note that you have to add a threat each time the Fellowship Side moves, and if you cannot add any more threats, you have to discard this condition.

Allies:
Allies are moderately playable, and since they are not companions, they can not be killed by Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul, or can not be assigned to a skirmish (usually) unless some other card enables it. In the Standard Format, allies (I don’t think) will not be allowed from the Fellowship Block, and Two Towers Block. (The Return of the King has allies that a Standard player may use, yet, none of them have to do with Replacing Sites.)

Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood: This is the only ally that may play the Fellowship’s next site if it is a forest, and she heals at the start of your turn. She is playable, yet the sites you want to play, have to be Forests.
Shadow Cards:
Now it is time to review the Shadow Side Strategy of Playing the next site. Generally, you always play the next site if your opponent Is ahead of you, so there is not many Shadow cards that do this (in fact, there is only one I could find!). (There is one exception though, there are many Shadow card that replace the Fellowship’s current site with their game text, but I will not go into much detail about that, until I show a sample deck.)
Ulaire Toldea, eighth of the Nine Riders: This Nazgul is and interesting card, but, when playing against a Site Manipulation Free Peoples, this little chap could come in handy.
The Most Splashable Site Manipulation cards:
I would probably say the most splashable site manipulation cards are the following in case you would like to splash them into your deck:
Madril, ranger of Ithilien
Ranger of Westernesse
get on and get away
Galadriel, lady of the golden wood
ulaire Toldea, eighth of the nine riders

Ranger Site Manipulation/Forestguls:
There are many version of Site Manipulation, but Rangers and Nazguls have been my interest for many a time. So below is a version of how Sites really brings in a different strategy in the LOTR TCG card game.

Ringbearer and Ring:
Boromir, Bearer of Council
the one ring, the ring of rings
Starting Fellowship:
Faramir, captain of Gondor
Aragorn, Strider
Denethor, lord of Minas Tirith
Free Peoples: (34 cards)
Faramir, captain of Gondor (Starting Fellowship)
Aragorn, Strider (Starting Fellowship)
Denethor, lord of Minas Tirith (Starting Fellowship)
ranger of Westernesse x2
Madril, ranger of Ithilien
Anarion
Faramir’s sword
Ithilien blade x2
sapling of the white tree x3
scroll of Isildur
Faramir’s bow
invigorated x3
hard choice
well-traveled
pathfinder x2
pledge of loyalty x4
war and valor x3
concealment x3
noble leaders
Aragorn’s bow

Shadow: (34 cards)
ulaire Attea, second of the nine riders
ulaire Attea, black predator
the witch-king, captain of the nine riders
black rider x3
ulaire Cantea, black assassin
ulaire Toldea, black shadow x3
ulaire lemenya, assailing minion
ulaire Nelya, third of the nine riders x3
ulaire Enquea, lieutenant of Morgul x2
ulaire Enquea, sixth of the nine riders
ulaire Nertea, servant of the shadow x3
lost in the woods x4
Sauron’s gaze x2
out of sight and shot
hatred stirred x2
flung into the fray

Suggested Sites:
[3]Trollshaw Forest
[3]North Undeep
[2]Caras Galadhon
[1]Hill of Sight
[1]Neekerbreekers’ bog
[0]the angle
[0]Buckland homestead
[0]woody-end

Strategy:
Free Peoples:
Bid around 1-2, and try not to bid more; some of your cards (like pledge of loyalty) bonus around resistance. Play as many possessions as you can, and play the Fellowship’s next site whenever possible or convenient; double move to site 3 as fast as you can. (If it is suicide, don’t double move; it is very important to make sure Denethor gets there to set up fast) When at site 3 make sure you accomplish these key ideas:
• Heal at the start of your turn.
• Exert Denethor to play out faramir’s sword, then hard choice, and play Aragorn’s bow, and Anarion.
Then as you move to the rest of the sites, use the skirmish events to win skirmishes with Anarion, Faramir, and Aragorn. Occasionally you can win skirmishes with Boromir, by preventing a wound with sapling of the white tree, and healing him off again with invigorated. (even better, you can heal two Gondor men instead if you are at a forest site combined with faramir’s sword.) Then, double move as much as possible, and sack the Ranger of Westernesse when needed. Madril, ranger of Ithilien, also plays the Fellowship’s next site, and he can also used as a fodder companion when needed. Ithilien blade is splashed in there, since most people think that is a wondrous idea; sometimes Gondorian blade might be more useful in the idea of killing minions with the extra Damage bonus.
Matchups for the Free Peoples:
Corruption Builds: Probably the worst match up for this build, since there is not any burden removal in the Gondor culture. When playing against this strategy, you may want to include in Caves of aglarond, or Osgiliath reclaimed. If your opponent with this corruption strategy pulls out Úlairë Enquëa, lieutenant of Morgul, you can prevent a couple wounds with sapling of the white tree, and you can hope that your Forest Nazgul will destroy your opponent before they destroy you.
Ninja Gollum: Beatdown: Ninja Gollum beatdown is pretty easy; you have invigorated, sapling of the white tree, and can win many skirmishes, so this is probably one easy match up. Corruption: Like I stated above in the Corruption Builds, this may be a lot harder, but stay in there as long as you can to give you shadow a chance.
Forest Nazgul: This Shadow Side may or may not be easy to defend against. Just make sure that you can strengthen your Rangers with the strength events, and try to win most skirmishes. In addition, Anarion can win many skirmishes, so you really don’t have to worry about lost in the woods, unless they pull Sauron’s gaze on him.
Moria Swarm: Pretty easy. Pull Aragorn’s bow with Denethor as soon as possible to snipe off the one-vitality minions, and heal him again with invigorated during the Skirmish Phase.
Uruk-hai Culture: When playing these brutes, you do not really need to pull Aragorn’s bow out with Denethor because of their unique wound-prevention ability. You can win most skirmishes, and heal your Rangers pretty fast. It may be hard to double move....
Evil Men: When playing against a Stragglers [evil man] build, it may be hard to win skirmishes. All you have to do is play carefully, and prevent/heal your wounds when needed.
Troll Swarm: I have never played these nor have I seen them, but they do seem hard. To defend yourself, try to use as little twilight as possible, and when needed, burn you Ranger of Westernesse, and Madril, ranger of ithilien.
Free People’s Overview:
Basically, this build is designed to withstand much beatdown, and in order to survive that, you need your possessions. Faramir’s sword Is a very important possession as far as making minions roaming, and winning more skirmishes with his game text. Since this deck has Denethor in it, this build has the ability to set your shadow side up quickly, and with Forest Nazgul, you can swarm pretty easily.
Shadow Strategy:
When paired with the Ranger build, your Forest sick Nazgûl will have a fun time destroying your opponents Fellowship with their Forests on the Adventure Path. ulaire Attëa, second of the nine riders adds burdens for ulaire Nertëa, servant of the shadow, and so Neekerbreekers’ bog will come into action. Ulaire Enquëa, sixth of the nine riders will show some devastating power to your opponent (unless he has under 6 companions, and he has all ringbound companions) by exerting them to death. Flung into the Fray adds even more exertions, and when combined with a neekerbreekers’ bog/Ulaire Enquëa, sixth of the nine riders stack on Flung in to the Fray; it will definitely be a threat. Hatred Stirred is a very important card in this deck as it recycles needed card into your draw deck, and the rest of the cards are pretty self-explanatory.
Matchups for the Shadow Side:
Elves: Archery based Elves are extremely effortless to destroy, and your terrifying Nazgûl will crush them to pieces. Against Elvents, win as many skirmishes as possible with lost in the woods, and wound their companions crazily.
Rohan: Fairly easy. Get out flung into the fray, and Sauron’s gaze, to obliterate that pesky Eowyn, lady of Ithilien, win skirmishes, and kill, kill, kill.
Dwarves: Dwarves do have a ton of choke cards that do kind of hurt your Shadow, but with ulaire Nelya, third of the nine riders, you can replace the current sites, and swarm with dark approach. (and that gets really dangerous for your opponent, when your opponent is using Gimli, bearer of grudges)
Ents: May be a tad harder, but ulaire Enquëa, lieutenant of Morgul can kill 1-2 companions, and the Nazgûl will win most skirmishes.
Hobbit Choke: Just be patient...... With these Halflings, you have to be somewhat patient in order to swarm on them, or beat them down, because of their wound removal, and canceling skirmishes. Once you are set up with your Shadow, play dark approach and recycle it with ulaire Toldëa, black shadow; recycle your minions over with hatred stirred, and wound, wound....
Shadow Side Overview:
Mainly, this Shadow side is designed to win most skirmishes, and swarm on your opponent’s companions as they are exerted to death. Ulaire Nertëa, servant of the shadow, works really well when combined with hill of sight, and Ulaire Attëa, second of the nine riders. This build has been designed to withstand quite a bit of archery (by being able to play many minions out), prevent some special abilities, and overwhelm companions with lost in the woods, and Ulaire Attëa, black predator. I think it is a very universal build.

Conclusion:
As you can see, Sites do put a whole new dimension on the LOTR cards. Just remember, whatever build your are working with, site manipulation can be an option if your cards really rely around them. Thanks for reading, reviewing, and making comments on this article! Special thanks to:
Nbarden, SickofPalantirs, Matcheteman, and Pipeweed: Thanks very much for showing me many tips on how to write strategy articles, and for giving examples.
Anxious Chieftain: Thanks for showing me the correct term, “Site Manipulation”! That gave me an idea, so thanks!

Thanks again!

-Glamdring-

“Rangers were particularly useful in scouting out unfamiliar territories....”
Last edited by Glamdring on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in totalGreat minds think alike.~CarpeGuitarrem
Rangers will rule the World!! (CC's Official Ranger Lover)
My Haves/Wants Please look!!

...much debate much hard feelings. ~SOP
legoles3333
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:57 am
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
good article, but there are several things, first you put 2 events under Conditions, (still far ahead, one good turn deserves another) i will wait to vote but right now between a 3 and 4
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:14 am
I briefly skimmed through the article, and it looks well-written and worthy of around a 4. I will read it in its entirety and vote later. Smile
I had to put something here.
Anvar
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:51 pm
I think the article needs slightly better formatting, with more space between paragraphs and different cards. You should probably mention that the Galadriel you mention is on the x-list.

You also don’t pay enough attention to the Shadow cards that don’t allow you to play the next site but switch the site you’re on. Any discussion of this sort simply can’t ignore Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders or the various Orc and Gollum cards that do similar things.

Anvar
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:32 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
you need to mention X-listed cards(get on and get away galadriel) or is GoaGA R-listed? I skimmed it, and definitely looks like a 4 article. but will read it later.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Glamdring
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:54 pm
Switching is called replacing a site. I am discussing site Manipulation.
Great minds think alike.~CarpeGuitarrem

Glamdring
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:58 pm
legoles3333 wrote:
good article, but there are several things, first you put 2 events under Conditions, (still far ahead, one good turn deserves another) i will wait to vote but right now between a 3 and 4

I fixed the bloopers!
Great minds think alike.~CarpeGuitarrem

NBarden
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:32 pm
Good article. Needs a whole lot of work on formatting and getting the hyperlinks to work. I won’t vote until I have time to read it completely, but it looks pretty good.

EDIT: Okay, I read through it. Anduril is an artifact, not a possession. Also, it plays sites 3 and 6, the sanctuaries. Also, a Shadow section mentioning Nelya and some other cards like that would be nice.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
bobtheorc
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:25 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
good job.
It would have been nice if you would have mentioned more about Neyla, 11S.
, but still a 4 article.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:38 pm
Breaking up your paragraphs would make the article more reader-friendly; plus, a few sentences need to be added on Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders. Good article, and a 4 from me! Applause
I had to put something here.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest