LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
33%
  [ 2 ]  33%

66%
  [ 4 ]  66%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 6
legoles3333
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:12 am
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
--- description ---
An overview of LOTR TCG’s Elven Lords, with a deck idea to match.
--- end description ---

“The elves may fear the Dark Lord, and they may fly before him, but they will never again listen to him or serve him. And here in Rivendell there live still some of his chief foes: the Elven-Wise, Lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the seen and the unseen they have great power.”
Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring

In this Strategy article, I will be discussing the different Elven Lords ex. Elrond, Celeborn, Galadriel, and others. I will talk about the different versions of each one and try to explain them. In the end I will try to put them into a deck that utilizes all or most of them!

Index
Part One, ELROND
Part Two, CELEBORN
Part Three, GALADRIEL
Part Four, OTHER ELVEN LORDS
Part Five, DECK

Part One, ELROND.

“The face of Elrond was ageless, neither old nor young, though in it was written the memory of many things, both glad and sorrowful…Venerable he seemed as a king crowned with many winters, and yet hale as a tired warrior in the fullness of his strength. He was the Lord of Rivendell and mighty among both elves and men.”
The Lord of The Rings, the Fellowship of the Ring.

note Elrond, Lord of Rivendell is restricted, so please take that into account.

I’ll start out with what some people would say is the most important Elf-Lord in the game, Elrond. Elrond is the classic healer of the Elf-Lords and all but one version of him has that ability! I would like to give you an example but I feel it would be confusing, so you must experiment yourself to find the best combination. So with that said, I will do my best to explain and compare different Elronds!

Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
Twilight Cost 4, Ally, Home Site 3, Str 8, Vit 4

This Elrond’s particular ability is relatively good. Although you must spot Gandalf or an elf to play him, his abilities include, healing all allies whose home is site 3, and in the fellowship phase you may exert him to draw a card. I’ve found it’s very useful if you needed to substitute allies in to help companions. It’s best combination however, would be if you were playing a deck that utilizes Shoulder to Shoulder with a dwarf combination side to cycle wounds on to elven allies then heal them, his ability would work well with that kind of deck, because it heals each and every ally whose home is site 3.

Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad

This version of him is okay. His abilities are to heal a single ally with a home of site 3, or exert him twice to heal a companion, although he can heal an ally twice, it might be better to use Elrond, Lord of Rivendell if you want to heal multiple allies at once. He would be most useful if you put him in a solo deck with Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom, you would be able to use Support of the Last Homely House to use an ally to save her, then you could heal that ally twice with this Elrond, but I would still choose Elrond, Lord of Rivendell over this one.

Elrond, Keeper of Vilya

This version of him doesn’t need any other allies, as his traditional ability heals only himself, or you may exert him to discard the top card of your deck and if it’s a elven card, you may take it into hand and heal an elven companion. His ability would be best used with an ally deck that utilizes Horn of Boromir and Support of the Last Homely House, or put it in an elven telepathy deck that would put a elven card on top of your draw deck then you could heal companions.

Elrond, Elven Lord
Twilight Cost 4, Companion, Str 8, Vit 4

This is the first version of Elrond that is a companion! This particular version is not that good, because his only ability is exerting to heal a companion that is bearing an artifact, I would choose another Elrond, unless you were playing, say, a last alliance deck, where you would have cards such as Narsil, Blade of the Faithful, Anduril, Flame of the West and Aiglos.

Elrond, Venerable Lord
Twilight Cost 4, Companion, Str 8, Vit 4

I think this is the best Elrond, but you may differ. It has a good healing/telepathy ability, because you don’t have to exert him at all, just assign him to skirmish! He can look at, not discard, the top card of your draw deck, and if it’s an elven card, you may heal another companion! This would be a good card to play in a deck alongside Gandalf, Manager of Wizards and Legolas, Greenleaf who can deal direct damage, or another companion combination that puts cards on top of your draw deck, then needs healing.

Elrond, Witness to History
Twilight Cost 4, Companion, Str 8, Vit 4, Res 7

This is THE Elrond for Elven Telepathy decks. He can take an elven card from your discard pile and put it on top of your draw deck for other cards to use like, Attunement. He would be best in an Elven Telepathy deck (for obvious reasons) in accordance with Celeborn, Lord of the Galadhrim, or events like Forearmed.

Well, that’s Elrond, let’s move on to Celeborn

Part Two, CELEBORN

“Very tall they were…and they were grave and beautiful. They were clad in wholly in white, the hair of the Lord Celeborn was silver long and bright; but no sign of age was upon them, unless it were in the depth of their eyes; for these were keen as lances in the starlight, and yet profound, the wells of deep memory.”
The Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship of the Ring

In this section, I will be talking about Celeborn, the Lord of Lorien who as been alive since the Eldar days, he is a classic telepathy deck favorite and also nice to splash! Celeborn, the Wise is probably your best splash as he gives elves muster. So with that said I now present to you, the copies of Celeborn and their uses!

Celeborn, Lord of Lorien
Twilight Cost 2, Ally, Home 6, Str 6, Vit 3

Ok, the first Celeborn! This is the only version of him as an ally, and it’s probably the worst. His single ability is to exert himself to heal an elven ally. Although he can heal a wider range of people for healing, I would in all certainty, pick Elrond over Celeborn. This Celeborn would be best in a deck with a strong ally support system, maybe solo Galadriel, to keep your good fighting units alive, and you could even give him add a copy of The Tale of Gil-galad to increase his healing abilities.

Celeborn, Lord of the Galadhrim
Twilight Cost 2, Companion, Str 6, Vit 3

This is probably my favorite Celeborn (he’s probably my favorite because I run an elven telepathy deck). His ability is that at the start of each skirmish involving him, you may reveal the top card of your draw deck, if it’s an elven card, you may discard it to wound each minion he’s skirmishing. He is best used in a telepathy deck (obviously) and if you can somehow get him to be Defender +1 (I haven’t figured out how) he would be great protection against a swarm deck

Celeborn, the Wise
Twilight Cost 2, Companion, Str 6, Vit 3, Res 7

This is the newest and maybe the most popular version of Celeborn, his abilities to bring elven events into hand from your discard pile is nice and his ability to make every elf with resistance 7 or more to gain muster is good if you are preparing for a second move. He is a good solid elven companion that belongs in a telepathy deck with a lot of events, but is also great to splash in any elven deck!

Well, that’s all, let’s face Galadriel

Part Three, GALADRIEL

“Speak no evil of the Lady Galadriel,” said Aragorn sternly, “You not what you say. There is in her and in this land no evil, unless a man brings it hither himself. Then let him beware.”
Aragorn, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring

Just to let you know, since some Galadriels are banned I will put a star (*) by the names of the ones that are.

“Speak no evil of the Lady Galadriel,” HA, as if. When most copies of Galadriel were legal, if you didn’t play an elven deck, you cursed her, because of her unlimited uses, decipher has banned three copies of her (see above) but most are still available in open. So, with that said, I am going to explain about every Galadriel card, and then tell the type of deck they belong in.

*Galadriel, Lady of Light
Twilight Cost 3, Ally, Home 6, Str 3, Vit 3

Now this Galadriel has some good abilities, you have too many companions in your hand? Then use her special ability! This Galadriel exerts to play an elf for free! That means, with no wounds on her, you can play two of them for free! Plus, if you have Nenya out you can play three for free! And four if you have The Tale of Gil-Galad on her!!! Then, at the star of your next turn, you can use her second ability to heal herself (heal each ally whose home is site six) This Galadriel would be best used in a deck that utilizes high cost companions, such as Gil-galad, Elven High King, or any version of Elrond.

*Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood

This Galadriel is pretty good for an ally deck, she can heal an elf (any elf mind you not just allies) and she can exert to play the fellowships next site, now this may not seem like anything, HOWEVER, when the shadows block came out, with the new sites you could play virtually every one with this galadriel, that’s when she became to good and Decipher banned her.

Galadriel, Keeper of Nenya

This Galadriel has a nice deck cycling ability, along with the ability to heal herself at the start of every turn. The first ability mentioned is exerting Galadriel to discard the top card of your draw deck, if it is a shadow card, you may make a minion skirmishing an elf strength -3. She would be best in a deck that uses Gandalf, Manager of Wizards to drop a shadow card on top of your draw deck, and then, use the shadow card with Galadriel.

Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom
Twilight Cost 3 (or 0 if she’s the Ring-Bearer) Str 3, Vit 3, Res 3

This Galadriel is horrible as a companion, trust me I know this from experience, but she is the best Ring-Bearer for elven decks as she is easier to protect then Frodo. Her resistance is pitiful if not paired with other elven companions, which make her resistance plus one for each elf you can spot. This Galadriel was used much more after the banning of Galadriel, Lady Redeemed. She is used best in a high elven companion deck to prevent corruption.

*Galadriel, Lady Redeemed
Twilight Cost 3, Companion, Str 3, Vit 3

This Galadriel was the key for most elven decks when it came to discarding conditions, with her twilight cost of zero in your starting fellowship, she was out immediately. She was especially strong on elven telepathy decks because of all the events that type of decks use. In fact, Emir Delic won the World Championship in 2004 with a deck that heavily relied on this card for condition removal. This Galadriel would be best pared with an elven telepathy deck, one that would use Celeborn, Lord of the Galadhrim and either, Gandalf, Manager of Wizards, or Elrond, Witness to History.

Galadriel, Sorceress of the Hidden Land
Twilight Cost 3, Companion, Str 3, Vit 3, Res 7

This new version of Galadriel is another healing Galadriel. Her single ability is when you move in the regroup phase, reveal a card from the top of your draw deck for each forest site on the adventure path she can then heal an elf for each elven card revealed. This Galadriel relies on sites for her ability; pair her up with a deck that uses Radagast, the Brown, and plenty of forest sites go second and play your sites then use Radagast to move multiple times, and Galadriel to keep people healthy!

Well, Galadriel has been fun to do, but let’s now finish off the other Elven-Lords

Part Three, OTHER ELVEN LORDS

“There live still some of his chief foes: the Elven-Wise, Lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas.”
Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings, The Fellowship Of The Ring

In Lord of the Rings, there are a number of Elven-Lords that are hinted at, told about, and briefly shown. EX Elladan, Elrohir, Gil-galad, and more, this section will cover them and other Elven-Lords that are known!

Gil-Galad, Elven High King
Twilight Cost 5, Companion, Str 9, Vit 4

This is the one and only version of Gil-galad! His ability to exert and wound every wounded minion in the regroup phase is nicely used with elven archery decks when you’re preparing for a big move. Elven archery is the name of the game for Gil-galad, his ability is unmatched for big wounding (except for the broken, stupid, cursed Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien) and is killer to decks that have low health minions, but NOT swarm decks, since they usually won’t be wounded, as most of their minions have one vitality.

Elladan, Son of Elrond
Twilight Cost 3, Companion, Str 7, Vit 3

This is one of the Sons of Elrond (the next is named below) he has good natural strength, but he is much better with Elrohir. His ability heavily relies on events, as each one played on him or Elrohir is Twilight Cost -2. He would be best used in an elvent deck (elven event) that has many events like valor, attunement, forearmed, you get the idea, he is much more potent however if he is paired with Elrohir.

Elrohir, Son of Elrond
Twilight Cost 3, Companion, Str 7, Vit 3

This is the Other Son of Elrond (first is above) as the other, he has good natural strength but he is much better with Elladan. He also heavily relies on events as when one is played on him or Elladan, each minion in that skirmish is strength -2, which makes a possible strength -20 (see Sauron, Lord of the Rings) and is also good with other elven events that drain strength. His best deck match is also an elvent deck, forearmed is a great card with him, (see the 20 strength drain) also attunement and still needed.

Cirdan, The Shipwright
Twilight Cost 4, Companion, Str 7, Vit 4

Now his ability is good, simply exert to make a minion skirmishing him strength -1 for each elven event in your discard pile has a virtually endless ability! I mean, were talking a 432 strength drain at most!!! (It’s simple math, there are 108 elven events in existence, 108 x 4 = 432) that is one of the biggest strength drains you can get, and it only depends on events!!! So obviously, from the above statement, you can tell this card is at home in an elvent deck, lots of strength drain from high strength minions is a great ability, it’s almost like a built in forearmed, but much better!

Glorfindel, Revealed In Wrath
Twilight Cost 4, Companion, Str 9, Vit 3

He, along with Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood are the Nazgul killers of the elven culture, Glorfindel can drop any Nazgul 18 strength at most! he is also great starter, if your opponent has a forestgul deck just switch out another member of your starting fellowship for him. He would be good in a telepathy deck as a Nazgul protection companion, if you don’t want to lose someone to say the Witch-King.

Gildor Inglorion, Of the House of Finrod
Twilight Cost 2, Companion, Str 6, Vit 3

Here is a guy who likes Gandalf men, with Brand, King of Dale he makes a great archery deck that kills swarms. If there are more minions then companions then every companion is an archer! This is literally the end of swarms! This companion is best used paired with Brand, King of Dale and there is an article written about this type of deck here.

Erestor, Chief Advisor of Elrond
Twilight Cost 2, Ally, Home 3, Str 5, Vit 2

This ally is a nice defense against direct wounding from Sauron minions. If you are facing a deck that likes tower assassin to kill important allies, Elrond, Galadriel, and such, you could just use Erestor to keep them alive. He is obviously best used in the Fellowship Block but is ok in other formats he is also great in an extensive ally deck that could require protection, because he can spread wounds.

Golradir, Councilor of Imladris
Twilight Cost 2, Ally, Home 3, Str 4, Vit 3

Now this guy has a good shutdown ability, he can kill beatdown orc decks by killing their strength and bringing it down within range. Best used in an all ally deck, maybe Solo Galadriel to help her win those skirmishes.

Saelbeth, Elven Councilor
Twilight Cost 2, Ally, Home 3, Str 4, Vit 3

This guy will shutdown decks, like Savagery To Match Their Numbers or Savage Throw.
He is probably best used in a Solo Galadriel deck since he will bring down Uruk-Hai’s strength to help Galadriel win crucial skirmishes.

Part Five, DECK LIST

Now obviously, Elven Lords work best in telepathy decks. Since the main ones (Elrond, Celeborn, Galadriel) use lots and lots of events thus saying I have created a deck-list that utilizes most of the main Elven-Lords that are companions, also they use a lot of events to kill companions

Ring-Bearer
Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom
The One Ring, The Ring Of Rings

Companions

Celeborn, Lord of the Galadhrim
Cirdan, the Shipwright
Glorfindel, Revealed in Wrath
Elrond, Witness to History
Gandalf, Manager of Wizards
Elladan, Son of Elrond (starting)
Elrohir, Son of Elrond (starting)
Gil-Galad, Elven High King

Artifacts

Nenya, Ring of Adamant x4

Possessions

Hadafang x2
Glamdring, Foe-Hammer x2

Events

Company of Archers x4
Still Needed x4
Forearmed x4
Attunement x3
Might of the Elf Lords x3
Elf-Song x4

Conditions

Glimpse of Fate x2

This is your Typical Elvent Telepathy deck that includes many Elven Lords, all ones that I have mentioned above. I’m pretty sure that it covers all strategy

Corruption

Elf-Song and Glamdring, Foe-Hammer will cover all corruption and Company of Archers covers auto-corruption (Put Forth His Strength, The Beckoning Shadow).

Condition Shadow

Company of Archers and Hadafang should cover all needed condition removal.

Swarm

Now this is the hardest match-up, this deck has very little protection against the swarm, Celeborn can hurt swarm but only one minion, I guess you could splash Power According To His Stature to protect against the swarm, and maybe take out Might of the Elf Lords or Hadafang.

Rule of 5 Shadow

To protect against this you could probably just not play all your companions preferably Gandalf, Elladan, Elrohir, and either Cirdan or Gil-Galad

Beatdown

Cirdan can drop minion’s strength a lot, Elrohir drops minions strength as well, lots of events to add and subtract strength, and Glimpse of Fate/Gandalf combo helps a lot

Ninja Gollum

Well… that could be a problem, lots of wounding, with no healing, maybe change out Elrond, Witness to History for Elrond, Venerable Lord, or add Farewell to Lorien.

Shadow Archery

Same problem here as with Ninja Gollum, lots of wounding, you should probably take the same steps as above to fix it.

Elven-Lords have always been a personal favorite of mine. They offer so much aspect on the game and have great abilities, as well as being fun to play.

In conclusion, the above deck is one of the thousands of combinations to play Elf-Lords in, their specialties being ally and elvent decks, so you can just play around, maybe try splashing Elrond to heal, maybe Celeborn, The Wise to gain some muster abilities, or Galadriel, Sorceress of the Hidden Land for more healing! Since their abilities are nearly endless, you can do almost anything with them and they will still be good. So a final piece of advice is just play around until you come up with a good idea.
Last edited by legoles3333 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:12 am; edited 10 times in totalHere's My Trade List
I have taken an oath of poverty, to annoy me, send money
I am a trained assassin catcher
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:55 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
with he first galadriel you said "heal each companion whose home..." it should be ally. an overview of elrond was made before, take a look at it. I believe LotGW, you can only play a forest site, and with shadows this made it to good.
otherwise good! unless someone raises something else, you get a 5!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
legoles3333
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:47 pm
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
lol ok missed that Embarassed fixed as well as a couple other things
Last edited by legoles3333 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in totalHere's My Trade List
NBarden
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Mention that Elrond, Lord of Rivendell is restricted and that most of the Galadriel’s are x-listed.

Good article, and a nice deck, but the deck needs a little more work. It doesn’t look all that playable. Mention that the Glamdring you use is Glamdring, Foe-Hammer. Also you need 4x Nenya, Ring of Adamant.

I’m between a 3 and a 4. Pretty good article, needs a little more to make it really good.

GP for the formatting.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
legoles3333
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:26 am
oh lol missed the glamdring and didn’t know Elrond, Lord of Rivendell was banned, and there’s a part about some galadriels being banned, it’s right under her quote
Last edited by legoles3333 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in totalHere's My Trade List
Turin06
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:23 am
Nbarden your a bit harsh, there is no way this article should ever be considered a 3. You should be thinking between a 4 and a 5. Personally I’m giving it a 5.
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
bobtheorc
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:23 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Good article.
Well written and pretty well formatted.
I didn’t really learn much since what you said was kinda obvious but still a 4 for a good but not quite great article.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
gk1964
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:50 am
Good article - nice deck. You might want to drop a couple of Elf-song and replace them with Brooding on Tomorrow.

It will give you greater condition removal coupled with Gandalf MOW which I assume you intend to use to activate Glimpse of Fate.

A solid 4 I think.

gk
legoles3333
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:38 pm
a 4?!?!?!?!?! why????? just cause i dont have any brroding on tomorrow???
NBarden
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:39 pm
Eh? 4 is good. Be happy.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest