LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Trading Forum
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:24 am
Just curious what people consider mint and near-mint condition. Here’s how I rank them:

Mint: Black edges, no scuffs, perfect corners with no nicks. Centering doesn’t have to be exact (to me), but it won’t be something that’d make you do a double take. Cards pulled straight from the pack aren’t a guarantee of mint condition.

Near-mint: Cards may have a few tiny nicks (commonly at the bottom corners of the back), or a couple slightly larger ones if the rest of the card is in sharp condition. They may have light wear on the edges as well, although I consider a "white edge" borderline NM-condition and usually note this.

Less than near-mint: Easily noticeable damage, for example a large scuff or deep nicks. Edges may have abrasions, and a "white edge" now has a noticeable width. The card face may also be criss-crossed with scratches, even if they’re not easily seen under a card sleeve. A bent/dented card with a crease mark automatically falls under this category.

I’d say that mint condition cards are an extremely rare sight when receiving orders from online shops. Thankfully most of the cards fall under the near-mint category, but I’ve also received entire packages of less-than-NM cards from a few online stores guaranteeing mint quality. So I’m wondering if my definition of NM is too strict, or if something has to go through the wash and be chewed up by the neighbor’s dog to be downgraded further. Laughing

What about you?
NBarden
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:02 pm
Its to strict. Mint condition may have a couple minor nicks. Near mint is maybe a couple nicks, no scuffs, and minor criss-crosses. Less than mint is obviously scuffed/creased.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
josiah_of_rohan
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:38 am
Joined: 13 Aug 2005 Posts: 723 Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
cobra had a guideline to what M/NM/LTM was and it wasnt that strict
my trade ist is here http://trade.mahasamatman.com/Rings/list_show.pl?user=keltnerj
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Thanks for the input, you guys! That’s actually a relief because I don’t have to fret as much when trading. Razz

Oh, and just to note, my orders from Cobra Cards were always at least NM quality. Never had to worry about creased or faux white-border cards from them. Wink
bunnydaman
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:45 pm
Joined: 11 Jun 2007 Posts: 338 Location: 'hillbilliesville'
Mint condition cards have no visible wear or damage. These cards are usually "fresh from the pack," have been handled as little as possible, and have never been used in gameplay.

Slightly played cards show some wear from gameplay; most often they have minor scratches or scuffs at the edges or corners.

that is the cobra cards definition...
-"He’s like a spamming assasin." ~lem0nhead about SoP
"Yes, I'm a girl. And no, not like elf lvr."
[idea from FM]
josiah_of_rohan
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:51 pm
Joined: 13 Aug 2005 Posts: 723 Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
thanks...

then not mint is like anything that is untraidable

and ive gotten a couple cards that are in this condition...
i got a foil site that was damaged badly from water... it was the worst looking card i ever had
my trade ist is here http://trade.mahasamatman.com/Rings/list_show.pl?user=keltnerj
bunnydaman
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:26 pm
you can trade not mint, you should just specifly if they are in bad condition.
[idea from FM]
NBarden
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:57 pm
Yeah. Depends on if you stick the cards in the binder so people go "oooh" "ahhh" or if you stick ’em in a deck and whup someone.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
bunnydaman
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:59 pm
yeah. people who collect generly want mint, but the people who just care about playing grenerally dont care as much, because they are gonna get scratched anyways...
[idea from FM]
NBarden
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:00 pm
Yep. I don’t want obviously scuffed cards, but I’ll take ’em.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Trading Forum