LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:25 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
elf lvr wrote:

3 *Iluvatar, The One White
Follower
Strength: +2
Resistance: +2
Aid - 3
Bearer must be a White companion.
Shadow cards may not spot or discard your Followers.
Skirmish: Add a threat to heal bearer.
Then Ilúvatar arose, and the Ainur perceived that he smiled; and he lifted up his left hand, and a new theme began amid the storm...
sweet! he doesn’t seem...illuvatary though

4 *Namo, Doomsman White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 9
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 8
Spirit. (To assign this character to skirmish, exert it or add a burden).
While in your starting fellowship, this companion is twilight cost -2.
Skirmish: If Namo is skirmishing, exert him to take a White skirmish event from your discard pile into hand.
He is the keeper of the Houses of the Dead, and the summoner of the spirits of the slain.
cool

2 *Nienna, Lady of Wisdom White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 8
Spirit.
To play, spot a White companion.
At the start of each fellowship phase, you may exert Nienna to heal another companion.
Fellowship: Add two threats to draw a card for each follower in your discard pile.
All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom.

sweet! but the fellowship ability could be 1 threat and 2 twilight
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:32 pm
elf lvr wrote:
I’m adding Simarillion stuff to this set, too. So, that makes for a Morgoth culture, a Blue culture (Noldor), and a White culture (Valar).

Let’s start with the Valar, shall we? Some companions, some followers, a heck lot of fun!

There are, so far 25 or so different versions of the Valar in the set. We ought to get started on them, right?

Follower
Aid - 3
Then Ilúvatar arose, and the Ainur perceived that he smiled; and he lifted up his left hand, and a new theme began amid the storm...

Whoa. And who does Illuvatar follow? I was thinking more along the lines of...

1000 • Illuvatar, the One White
Companion • Valar
Strength: 1000
Vitality: 500
Resistance: Infinity
Defender +1000
Illuvatar cannot die or be discarded.

Anyway, that seems to fit Illuvatar better.

4 *Namo, Doomsman White
Companion * Valar
Skirmish: If Namo is skirmishing, exert him to take a White skirmish event from your discard pile into hand.
He is the keeper of the Houses of the Dead, and the summoner of the spirits of the slain.

Exert to skirmish and exert to take and event into hand, strength 9, nope. Can’t see him being used. Except with mass burden removal. Give him at least 4 vitality.

Are we gonna see a Silmaril bearer?

Since the Ainur, or Valar, are powerful ’spirits’ who must work to take a viewable form on Middle-Earth, they are powerful, but need to constantly work to stick around. Thus, the Spirit keyword. The White culture will have ways of handling burdens and wounds, don’t worry.

Anyways, before the next cards (my mind sure does wander, doesn’t it?) I’d like to explain a bit more of what I’m doing with this culture. Obviously, they’re powerful, but with a major downside. Hopefully, they’ll be able to manage the wounds and burdens, but running a Valar deck would be a delicate balancing act. Playing against corruption could be great or terrible, depending.

I’ll give them an ARB, eventually (still working on ideas), but for now, a frodo, bilbo, sam, isildur, anything, will do.

They’ll also have a really strong follower base, with every Valar companion (except for one) having a follower version. Ways to discard your followers and companions to free up space for others will come later.

Companion * Valar
Spirit.
At the start of each fellowship phase, you may exert Nienna to heal another companion.
Fellowship: Add two threats to draw a card for each follower in your discard pile.
All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom.

Cool. If it wasn’t for the spotting ability, this card would go perfect in AC’s article. But as is, still splashable, just use a White ring-bearer.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:55 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
elf lvr wrote:
Follower
Aid - 3

Suggestion: up the strength boost--and initial cost--quite a bit (like +4 and 5 or something), but make bearer gain spirit. Limit the follower discarding to White followers, too.

elf lvr wrote:
4 *Namo, Doomsman White
Companion * Valar

Perhaps require spotting another White companion (or spirit) for that starting fellowship cost reduction. Maybe not. *shrug*

elf lvr wrote:
Companion * Valar
Spirit.

Again, perhaps limit this to White followers...and if you do, you could probably also include White companions.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
elf lvr
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:28 pm
I’ll tweak Illuvitar, and I’m sorry he isn’t very, well, amazingly broken. But hey, I’m not Decipher!

I was so worried about overpowering that I made one underpowered! I’ll give Namo that extra vitality.

Nienna will be changed to a threat and some twilight. And I will make it White Companions and Followers.

Wow, what she could do in a Refuge deck... anyways, more cards to come!
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:45 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Hey, you MTG-symbol hoggers! Laughing
I don't like YOU.
elf lvr
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:53 pm
5 *Orome, Lord of Forests White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 10
Hunter 2. Spirit.
Each time Orome wins a skirmish, you may remove a threat.
Maneuver: Exert Orome to play a follower and draw a card.
He is a hunter of monsters and fell beasts, and he delights in horses and in hounds; and all trees he loves...

3 *Yavanna, Queen of the Earth White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 7
Vitality: 4
Spirit.
Each time the fellowship moves to a forest site, you may heal Yavanna (limit once per region).
Response: If a Valar wins a skirmish, exert Yavanna to remove a burden.
Some there are who have seen her standing like a tree under heaven, crowned with the Sun; and from all its branches there spilled a golden dew upon the barren earth...

5 *Varda, Lady of the Stars White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 11
Spirit.
To play, spot 2 White companions.
When you play Varda, you may remove 2 burdens.
Skirmish: If Varda bears a follower, exert her to make another White companion strength +2.
Too great is her beauty to be declared in the words of Men or of Elves; for the light of Ilúvatar lives still in her...

6 *Aule, Lord of Earth White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 13
Spirit.
When you play Aule, you may play a White artifact from your draw deck.
Fellowship: Exert Aule to play the fellowship’s next site (replacing opponent’s site if necessary).
His are the gems that lie deep in the Earth and the gold that is fair in the hand, no less than the walls of the mountains and the basins of the sea.

7 *Tulkas, The Valiant White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 15
Spirit.
If you can spot a White companion, you may play Tulkas any time you could play a skirmish event.
When you play Tulkas, you may discard a minion.
If the fellowship has not moved more than once this turn, at the start of the maneuver phase, you may make Tulkas strength +5. If you do, discard him at the start of the regroup phase.
He has little heed for either the past or the future, and is of no avail as a counsellor, but is a hardy friend.

8 *Ulmo, Lord of Waters White
Companion * Valar
Spirit.
Each time the fellowship moves to a river site, you may heal Ulmo (limit once per region).
Skirmish: If Ulmo is not assigned to skirmish, discard him to heal each other White companion.
He dwells nowhere long, but moves as he will in all the deep waters about the Earth or under the Earth.

10 *Manwe, First of All Kings White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 16
Vitality: 5
Spirit.
To play, spot 3 Valar.
Each other White companion is strength +1.
Skirmish: If Manwe is not assigned to skirmish, exert him and add a threat to have him replace an unbound companion in a skirmish.
He was appointed to be, in the fullness of time, the first of all Kings: lord of the realm of Arda and ruler of all that dwell therein.

What do you think? I can already tell I’ll have to make quite a few changes.
Last edited by elf lvr on Thu May 10, 2007 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in totalHappy Hunting! Elf Lvr
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Foresight
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:44 pm
elf lvr wrote:
4 *Orome, Lord of Forests White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 10
Hunter 2. Spirit.
Each time Orome wins a skirmish, you may remove a threat.
Maneuver: Exert Orome to play a follower and draw a card.
He is a hunter of monsters and fell beasts, and he delights in horses and in hounds; and all trees he loves...

Shocked...ok, I’d raise his cost to 5 for all his abilities.

elf lvr wrote:
3 *Yavanna, Queen of the Earth White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 7
Spirit.
Each time the fellowship moves to a forest site, you may heal Yavanna.
Response: If a Valar wins a skirmish, exert Yavanna to remove a burden.
Some there are who have seen her standing like a tree under heaven, crowned with the Sun; and from all its branches there spilled a golden dew upon the barren earth...

Again... Shocked Is this T & D? Laughing just kiddin’ man, let’s take a look at Mr. Yavanna here. Basically if you can control the sitepath or bid to go second, he’ll be healed every site he moves to. Then, if each of his buddies win a skirmish (or himself) you remove burdens easily. I’d tweak his first sentence to say "Each time the fellowship moves to a forest site, you may heal Yavanna (Limit once per region)." And his response action to say: "If a Valar wins a skirmish, exert that Valar to remove a burden. You may only do this once each turn."

elf lvr wrote:
5 *Varda, Lady of the Stars White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 11
Spirit.
When you play Varda, you may remove 2 burdens.
Skirmish: If Varda bears a follower, exert her to make another White companion strength +2.
Too great is her beauty to be declared in the words of Men or of Elves; for the light of Ilúvatar lives still in her...

I don’t understand what these characters represent (but I’m starting to get the feeling that they’re gods or superhumans or something) so I’m just taking an objectional non-storyline perspective on your cards. Don’t know if that’s what you’re looking for, but that’s what you’ll get. I like her spotting requirement and second sentence. The skirmish action should be "strength +1" instead of 2.

elf lvr wrote:
6 *Aule, Lord of Earth White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 13
Spirit.
When you play Aule, you may play an artifact from your draw deck.
Fellowship: Exert Aule to play the fellowship’s next site (replacing opponent’s site if necessary).
His are the gems that lie deep in the Earth and the gold that is fair in the hand, no less than the walls of the mountains and the basins of the sea.

I’d make the second sentence say "White artifact". Fellowship ability is ok.

elf lvr wrote:
7 *Tulkas, The Valiant White
Companion * Valar
Spirit.
If you can spot a White companion, you may play Tulkas any time you could play a skirmish event.
When you play Tulkas, you may discard a minion.
If the fellowship has not moved more than once this turn, at the start of the maneuver phase, you may make Tulkas strength +5. If you do, discard him at the start of the regroup phase.
He has little heed for either the past or the future, and is of no avail as a counsellor, but is a hardy friend.

I’d make him say he’s placed in the dead pile instead of discarded. Might drop his strength to 13. Otherwise good.

elf lvr wrote:
8 *Ulmo, Lord of Waters White
Companion * Valar
Spirit.
Each time the fellowship moves to a river site, you may heal Ulmo.
Skirmish: If Ulmo is not assigned to skirmish, discard him to heal each other White companion.
He dwells nowhere long, but moves as he will in all the deep waters about the Earth or under the Earth.

I’d limit his second sentence to be the same as Yavanna’s. (Limit it to once per region) Rest looks good.

elf lvr wrote:
10 *Manwe, First of All Kings White
Companion * Valar
Strength: 16
Vitality: 5
Spirit.
To play, spot 3 Valar.
Each other White companion is strength +1.
Skirmish: If Manwe is not assigned to skirmish, exert him and add a threat to have him replace an unbound companion in a skirmish.
He was appointed to be, in the fullness of time, the first of all Kings: lord of the realm of Arda and ruler of all that dwell therein.

Powerful cards which are for the most part costed. Thumbs Up Edited.
Last edited by Foresight on Thu May 10, 2007 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in totalIn his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
elf lvr
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:57 pm
Before you call these cards as overpowered, I’d like to make sure you’re familiar with my new Spirit keyword, which forces you to add a burden or exert the companion at the start of their skirmishes.

If you were aware of that, and they’re still overpowered, well... I’ll absolutely rush to make changes.

And by the way, when you say ’gods’... you’re basically correct. Mr. Green
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Foresight
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:02 pm
Oop! Hang on, let me go through my review again. I thought it was a keyword like knight or ranger. You’ll see "Edited" at the bottom of my post when I’m done.
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
elf lvr
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:10 pm
Well... I’ll change a few things, and wait for other opinions before I change others.

Thanks for dropping by, I’ll give you a nice, shiny GP!
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards