LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
syndrome
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:29 pm
I would be all for creating a free version of lotr online... but you’d get mutilated by decipher. Something about those stupid copyrights or something.

tOO: what happens if... say a year from now decipher decides to end lotr and closes down the online site... you just payed hundreds of dollars for something you can no longer use.
http://myspace/delicatesituation
Bilbo, Retired Adventurer
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:45 pm
Phazanzar wrote:
what happens if... say a year from now decipher decides to end lotr and closes down the online site... you just payed hundreds of dollars for something you can no longer use.

Blasphemy !!! How can you even say a thing like that. That can never happen. Shocked
There is sda for playing online lotr,it isn’t that pretty,but it works.I guess online play needs to exist especially because there may be few players where you live.
There used to be up to 40 people on bigger tournaments where I live,and now it’s hard to get 10. Half of them are playing WOW now.It doesn’t help that Lotr is getting out of fashion also.Still I think the game is better than ever.So many playable and interesting tactics to choose from that are viable.
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:11 am
Phazanzar wrote:
tOO: what happens if... say a year from now decipher decides to end lotr and closes down the online site... you just payed hundreds of dollars for something you can no longer use.

Decipher is not in enought financial trouble to stop the online version anytime withing the next year, or even YEARS. If they close anything down, it’d be the physical game and the online game would still be chugging away...
Grashopper
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:25 am
Joined: 20 Jul 2005 Posts: 44 Location: Schalbruch, Germany
Phazanzar wrote:

Like tOO said, that’s not terribly likely. Additionally, Scott, President of Worlds Apart, has stated that they have an agreement with Decipher to continue hosting the game indefinitely, even if Decipher folds. WA is even more unlikely to fold, as they host 2 other successful tcgs, Star Trek & Star Chamber and are about to branch into two more: Anachronism and The Auto Assault. Their business model seems sound and I have confidence they’ll stay around for a while. My guess is that the online version significantly helps keep Decipher afloat.

So.. For long-term stability, Online is the way to go.

A litle bit of my history:

I actually started playing LOTR Online after playing Star Chamber (and before Star Chamber was added to Worlds Apart). Star Chamber is completely online, there isn’t a physical component to the cards at all. It’s also one of the most pure strategy games I’ve ever played. I played LOTR Online for nearly a year before I played my first LOTR TCG game offline. Because of my knowledge of the cards already, I knew what cards to buy and have been able to just buy the cards I needed to build decks offline. I’m not a terribly organized person, so when I bought a few boxes offline for dirt cheap (at Speil Essen), having to go through them and organize them just frustrated the heck out of me and seemed incredibly tedious. So now I have stacks and stacks of physical cards that are just collecting dust. The online card management system is MUCH better for someone like me. Smile

Should anyone decide to branch into Online play, send me a PM, I have extra commons and stuff I can hook ya up with.
Check out this Online Strategy TCG:
StarChamber
Pipsqueak
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:13 pm
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 Posts: 331 Location: A northerner down south
So, um, is there any chance you might want to get those physical cards off your hands Razz Rolling Eyes
Long live the southern bros. Homage
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:51 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Phazanzar wrote:
I would be all for creating a free version of lotr online... but you’d get mutilated by decipher. Something about those stupid copyrights or something.

Well...there is a demo-style mode, where you can log in as a guest and play with one of the ROTK starter decks. Not the real thing, but...

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion