LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:54 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Okay, folks. This is it: the last culture in Lasting Alliances. We’re getting so close...the biggest DC set EVER is almost complete! All that stands between us and the finishing touches is a rabble of Orcs and three monstrous trolls. Very Happy So let’s get started...with a Double Duo!

Dáin’s DC Duos #217-218

The Orc culture features a certain "magnificent" Dragon we’ve already covered, so it’s not an entirely new culture to those who have been following the Duos for a while. But as I said above, it is mainly stuffed with (surprise, surprise!) Orcs and three particular Trolls that anyone who has read The Hobbit (and even many who haven’t) know and love. They even made it into the film version of The Fellowship of the Ring...sort of, at least.

But we’ll get to the Trolls last. I gotta keep SOME level of suspense. Twisted Evil

So that means we start with lots of Orcs. They’re a race that’s hardly new in Lasting Alliances to this point: we’ve had many Moria and Green Orcs. Those, however, were usually more of the swarming goblin variety. The Orc culture still has several of those, but they also have some bigger, meaner minions too. Whereas the Moria and Green Orcs in this set are those encountered along the Quest of Erebor, the Orc Orcs are from nearly 3,000 years earlier, during the final years of the Second Age and the War of the Last Alliance. They’re the Orcs that stood up to a siege for seven years and took down countless brave Númenóreans and Elves. They’re also the Orcs that took down Isildur and his sons, and began a new chapter in the War of the Ring.

And here they are...some of them, at least. Razz Enjoy!

5 Keen-Eyed Orcs Orc
Minion • Orc
Strength: 11
Vitality: 3
Site: 6
Archer. Fierce.
“They halted briefly, preparing their assault. First they let fly a hail of arrows....”

2 Morgul Aggressor Orc
Minion • Orc
Strength: 4
Vitality: 2
This minion is strength +1 for each other Orc and Sauron Orc you can spot (limit +5).
Even when seemingly defeated, the minions of Sauron would somehow rally enough to launch an offensive.

2 Morgul Provoker Orc
Minion • Orc
Strength: 7
Assignment: Exert this minion to assign it to an unbound companion. Unless you spot 6 companions, the Free Peoples player may exert a companion to prevent this.
Suicidal Orcs would literally throw themselves at the soldiers of the Last Alliance.

2 Orc of the Mountains Orc
Minion • Orc
While this minion is at a mountain site, it is strength +1.
While this minion is at an underground site, it is strength +1.
“There was not only cunning in the attack, but fierce and relentless hatred.”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri May 25, 2007 11:25 am; edited 26 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:56 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

5 Keen-Eyed Orcs Orc
Minion • Orc
Archer. Fierce.
“They halted briefly, preparing their assault. First they let fly a hail of arrows....”

Cool standard guy not sure if he should cost 6 though for archer...

2 Morgul Aggressor Orc
Minion • Orc
Strength: 5
This minion is strength +1 for each other Orc and Sauron Orc you can spot.
Even when seemingly defeated, the minions of Sauron would somehow rally enough to launch an offensive.

Yay minion mixing, very nice DI.

2 Morgul Provoker Orc
Minion • Orc
Assignment: Exert this minion to assign it to an unbound companion that is not already assigned to a skirmish.
Suicidal Orcs would literally throw themselves at the soldiers of the Last Alliance.

Dont need to specify not already unassigned. Assignment actions are done on a 1 to 1 basis anwyay.

Minion • Orc

Up the strength bonus of both to +2 to make him really useful.

Last edited by lem0nhead on Tue May 15, 2007 9:04 am; edited 1 time in totalBan shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:59 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
5 Keen-Eyed Orcs Orc
Minion • Orc
Archer. Fierce.

Cool! Thumbs Up

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Morgul Aggressor Orc
Minion • Orc

Ouch! That is killer in a swarm deck! I would drop his strength to 4 or put a +3 limit on his strength bonus. Smile

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Morgul Provoker Orc
Minion • Orc
Assignment: Exert this minion to assign it to an unbound companion that is not already assigned to a skirmish.

Works for me! Mr. Green

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Orc

I would drop his strength to 6. Thumbs Up

Neat cards! Very Happy
I had to put something here.
WeyounsLastClone
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:09 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

5 Keen-Eyed Orcs Orc
Minion • Orc
Archer. Fierce.

Cool. Decent card, balanced by the high site number.

DáinIronfoot wrote:

2 Morgul Aggressor Orc
Minion • Orc

Could get out of hand, but I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt.

DáinIronfoot wrote:

2 Morgul Provoker Orc
Minion • Orc

Nice! I like the Sauron feel these cards have. Maybe add a ’buy out’, though. For example ’unless you spot six companions, the free peoples player may exert a companion to prevent this.’

DáinIronfoot wrote:

Minion • Orc

This is more of a Moria Orc, but a great one. Strength of 9 for 2 cost at Mount Doom.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:17 am
Thanks, guys. Made some changes to the middle two, but left Keen-Eyed Orcs (which people generally seem happy with so far) and Orc of the Mountains (where some thought it was too powerful and some thought it was a little too weak) alone. For the latter, differing opinions like that usually means I’ve already struck a pretty good balance. Razz

GP to each of you once I’m able. Thanks again! Thumbs Up
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:20 am
On Morgul Provoker, "six" should be "6". Thumbs Up
I had to put something here.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:23 am
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
On Morgul Provoker, "six" should be "6". Thumbs Up

Right, right. Good catch. Smile
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Eomer3rdMarshal
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:52 am
Joined: 14 Apr 2006 Posts: 163 Location: Riding free in the Westfold
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Okay, folks. This is it: the last culture in Lasting Alliances. We’re getting so close...the biggest DC set EVER is almost complete! All that stands between us and the finishing touches is a rabble of Orcs and three monstrous trolls. Very Happy So let’s get started...with a Double Duo!

Dáin’s DC Duos #217-218

The Orc culture features a certain "magnificent" Dragon we’ve already covered, so it’s not an entirely new culture to those who have been following the Duos for a while. But as I said above, it is mainly stuffed with (surprise, surprise!) Orcs and three particular Trolls that anyone who has read The Hobbit (and even many who haven’t) know and love. They even made it into the film version of The Fellowship of the Ring...sort of, at least.

But we’ll get to the Trolls last. I gotta keep SOME level of suspense. Twisted Evil

So that means we start with lots of Orcs. They’re a race that’s hardly new in Lasting Alliances to this point: we’ve had many Moria and Green Orcs. Those, however, were usually more of the swarming goblin variety. The Orc culture still has several of those, but they also have some bigger, meaner minions too. Whereas the Moria and Green Orcs in this set are those encountered along the Quest of Erebor, the Orc Orcs are from nearly 3,000 years earlier, during the final years of the Second Age and the War of the Last Alliance. They’re the Orcs that stood up to a siege for seven years and took down countless brave Númenóreans and Elves. They’re also the Orcs that took down Isildur and his sons, and began a new chapter in the War of the Ring.

And here they are...some of them, at least. Razz Enjoy!

5 Keen-Eyed Orcs Orc
Minion • Orc
Archer. Fierce.

Sweet!

2 Morgul Aggressor Orc
Minion • Orc
Strength: 4

Good as is, but... maybe limit +5 or so?

2 [b]Morgul Provoker
Orc
Minion • Orc
Assignment: Exert this minion to assign it to an unbound companion. Unless you spot 6 companions, the Free Peoples player may exert a companion to prevent this.

Very good.

Minion • Orc

I love the old-school feel of these!
"Forth Eorlingas!"
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:05 pm
Happy to hear you all like the "feel" of these cards. I was trying to capture both some old-school tactics and some old Sauron Orc feeling with these guys. The fact that folks see and appreciate it makes my heart glad. Very Happy

Dáin’s DC Duos #219

As you’ve already seen hints of, these Orcs may be in the Orc culture, but that hardly means they can only work with other Orc cards. They get benefits from other Orkish cultures, and some of their cards give benefits to those cultures as well; most of the time, text on their cards will refer to Orcs of other cultures or simply just "Orcs" with no culture attached at all. Examples below. Smile Enjoy!

2 Grim Servants of Barad-dûr Orc
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 3 Orcs.
Skirmish: Discard a Sauron, Moria, or Orc skirmish event from hand to make each Orc strength +1 until the regroup phase.
At the start of the regroup phase, discard each Orc or this condition.

5 Orkish War-cries Orc
Event • Assignment
Toil 1.
Remove a threat to make each Orc at a battleground or mountain gain hunter 1 and fierce until the regroup phase.
“Suddenly as the sun plunged into cloud they heard the hideous cries of Orcs, and saw them issuing from the Forest and moving down the slopes....”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue May 15, 2007 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Thranduil
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:12 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Happy to hear you all like the "feel" of these cards. I was trying to capture both some old-school tactics and some old Sauron Orc feeling with these guys. The fact that folks see and appreciate it makes my heart glad. Very Happy

Dáin’s DC Duos #219

As you’ve already seen hints of, these Orcs may be in the Orc culture, but that hardly means they can only work with other Orc cards. They get benefits from other Orkish cultures, and some of their cards give benefits to those cultures as well; most of the time, text on their cards will refer to Orcs of other cultures or simply just "Orcs" with no culture attached at all. Examples below. Smile Enjoy!

3 Grim Servants of Barad-dûr Orc
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 3 Orcs.
Skirmish: Discard a Sauron, Moria, or Orc skirmish event from hand to make each Orc strength +1 until the regroup phase.
At the start of the regroup phase, discard each Orc or this condition.

Very nice. Not sure it needs 3, though.

5 Orcish War-cries Orc
Event • Assignment
Toil 1.
Remove a threat to make each Orc at a battleground or mountain gain hunter 1 and fierce until the regroup phase.
“Suddenly as the sun plunged into cloud they heard the hideous cries of Orcs, and saw them issuing from the Forest and moving down the slopes....”

Isn’t there a besieger card that does something similar? I’m not sure how balanced this card is until I remember what the other one’s called. It seems fine, but maybe too many conditions to satisfy.

I look forward to more orcs.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards