LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit
Which approach do we take for this card? (see page 3 for details on the voting)

Leave it  
7%
  [ 1 ]  7%

X it  
46%
  [ 6 ]  46%

Change it  
46%
  [ 6 ]  46%

Total Votes : 13
Thranduil
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:10 am
The next card I have on my list is this one:

Let’s remind ourselves of the rules here.

We’ll only deal with cards that are obviously broken or overpowered (though there will clearly be some disagreement on that), and we’ll go about it in the following way:

1) Post any ideas we have for errata (on the card in question) in this thread
2) Then I’ll add a poll with the various different opinions represented, and we’ll vote on them.
3) After a decision has clearly been reached, we’ll move onto the next card (moving in number order).

And yes I know that there are far more broken cards in this set, but I’m just going through them in order.

Thranduil

There are also some general rules to consider:
1) If possible, changing a card is better than X-ing a card
2) That said, changing any more than a few words or a sentence will make it hard for people to remember, and so should be minimised, if we go for that at all
3) We’re not dealing with rubbish or cards worded incorrectly, as the former are too subjective and the latter have obvious solutions that we don’t need to deal with (like the card that gives you a defender bonus in the maneuver phase only).

This one is tough, and there will probably be serious disagreement on whether anything has to be done about it or not.

I would suggest 1 of these two:

’... to prevent a Shadow player from using special abilities on minions...

’... Add 2 threats, spot a Wizard and a Shadow card to prevent Shadow players from using special abilities on that Shadow card...
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu May 31, 2007 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:14 am
Decipher have a good point about errata. It confuses people as they have to find out what it really does. This should never have been made so i would just X it as it just ruins shadow sides full stop. If I HAD to choose errata for it i would go with your second option Thranduil. Choose one card for one threat (not two) to prevent just that one from using special abilities.

P.s. How can i abbreviate your name. I cant keep typing Thranduil, when everyone else can get shortened somewhat or abbreviated. T seems too short and ambiguous. TD? Duil? Thra?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:36 am
lem0nhead wrote:
Decipher have a good point about errata. It confuses people as they have to find out what it really does. This should never have been made so i would just X it as it just ruins shadow sides full stop. If I HAD to choose errata for it i would go with your second option Thranduil. Choose one card for one threat (not two) to prevent just that one from using special abilities.

I understand your point entirely, but it’s even more annoying to have printed cards that you can’t use because Decipher weren’t careful enough when they designed them.

lem0nhead wrote:
P.s. How can i abbreviate your name. I cant keep typing Thranduil, when everyone else can get shortened somewhat or abbreviated. T seems too short and ambiguous. TD? Duil? Thra?

How about Bob? It’s not my name, but it works! Very Happy

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:45 am
Laughing Thats fine but it needs to be CC known and it might confuse people slightly! Get it added to the CC abbreviations thread and ill use it! Any other ideas more related to Legolas’s Dad?
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Apopatos
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:10 am
It’s a powerful card yes but it works during the maneuver while vengeful wild man works at the start of the maneuver phase. The same for sunland skirmisher who can bring back vengeful wild man to add more threats and making this card useless.
I spoke about Men coz they have the greatest problem to discard conditions.

Now, about Orc. They add a lot of threats during the shadow phase and also, they discard conditions so this card isn’t a problem for them. Even the new troll in Age’s End adds 2 threats.
Uruk-hai add threats during the shadow phase as well with White hand taskmaster
and discard conditions pretty easily. So this card isn’t a big deal for them.
Even Raider add threats during the shadow phase and can easily discard conditions...

Conclusion: Perspective seems to be powerful but it’s easy to become useless very quickly!
"...I stomp round and round, / Never lie on the ground, / Not even to die. / Oliphaunt am I..."

Apop's trading list
My references
Your deck is small...
Thranduil
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:32 am
So, you just use threat removal cards in your deck, like citadel to gate, admittedly very expensive, but if you also pack have patience the wounds are taken care of, and the twilight isn’t going to do much to you because they can’t use any of their special abilities.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

lem0nhead
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:40 am
There will always be counters to cards but it relies on a daft amount of factors i.e. you are playing the right style of deck, with the particular card you need in it, that you draw it at just the right time, that the freeps doesnt have a counter for your counter, like Thranduil says, in this case threat removal. But its the fact you have to engineer an entire deck to beat one card that makes it broken.

Yeah adding threats will screw it up. But Citadel to gate or killing a companion removes it all and you get to do it next turn. Regardless of counters the majority of shadow sides get battered by this. You cant make every deck with perspective in mind cos if you face a deck without it youve wasted valueable card slots.
Apopatos
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:43 am
If the free peoples player prefers to add such expensive cards in his deck which will work only if Gandalf has at least 3 vitality and I’m not using rallying call, to exert him twice and to add for my minions 5 twilight tokens during the fellowship then I’m fine with it. I will let him even to pack 5 of this events if he wants...
Come on guys, If he even prefers to kill companions to remove the threats I don’t have problem as well!
"...I stomp round and round, / Never lie on the ground, / Not even to die. / Oliphaunt am I..."

Apop's trading list
My references
Your deck is small...
Queleri
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:26 am
I would just errata this so that the FP player can pick a minion that can’t use it’s special ability until the regroup phase.

Something like this

"Add 2 threats and spot a wizard to make a minion lose all special abilities until the regroup phase."

This offers some protection against Mumak Commander, Mouth of Sauron, etc. But it doesn’t kill a deck.
Have/Wants
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:34 am
Yeah thats the best errata.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit