LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
menace64
Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:03 am
Just got the trilogy soundtrack for good ’ole LotR. Felt like doing something new with it.

Here is a 55-card mini-set, simply called The Soundtrack Set. There are a few cards in this set that share titles with older cards (like The Bridge of Khazad-dum), but since I don’t care, you don’t care!

This set does not utilize the newer Shadow cultures. Why? Because they just aren’t as flavorful as the old ones.

Here’s the cardlist, followed by a few new card ideas I’ve cooked up.

Dwarven Culture (2 Cards):
1. Foundations of Stone
2. A Journey in the Dark

Elven Culture (8 Cards):
3. Breath of Life
4. The Council of Elrond
5. Evenstar
6. The Grey Havens
7. Into the West
8. The Leave Taking
9. Lothlorien
10. Many Meetings

Gandalf Culture (6 Cards):
11. At the Sign of the Prancing Pony
12. Hope and Memory
13. The Prophecy
14. The Ring Goes South
15. Treebeard, Marching to War
16. The White Rider

Gollum Culture (5 Cards):
17. Cirith Ungol
18. Gollum’s Song
19. The Passage of the Marshes
20. Shelob’s Lair
21. The Taming of Smeagol

Gondor Culture (6 Cards):
22. Anduril, Sheathed No More
23. The Forbidden Pool
24. The Great River
25. Minas Tirith
26. The Return of the King
27. The Steward of Gondor

Isengard Culture (5 Cards):
28. Amon Hen
29. The Breaking of the Fellowship
30. Isengard Unleashed
31. The Treason of Isengard
32. The Uruk-hai

Moria Culture (1 Card):
33. The Bridge of Khazad-dum

Raider Culture (2 Cards):
34. The Fields of the Pelennor
35. Hope Fails

Rohan Culture (6 Cards):
36. Forth Eorlingas
37. Helm’s Deep
38. The Hornburg
39. The King of the Golden Hall
40. The Ride of the Rohirrim
41. The Riders of Rohan

Sauron Culture (5 Cards):
42. Ash and Smoke
43. The Black Gate is Closed
44. The Black Gate Opens
45. The Shadow of the Past
46. A Storm is Coming

Shire Culture (5 Cards):
47. Concerning Hobbits
48. The End of All Things
49. Flight to the Ford
50. May It Be
51. Samwise the Brave

Wraith Culture (4 Cards):
52. The Black Rider
53. A Knife in the Dark
54. Minas Morgul
55. Twilight and Shadow

The first of my new card ideas is a location card - a revamp of my old design for ’unkillable’ conditions (but not quite). All of these locations work by transferring to a specific site number. Once on the site, the locations become easier to use. You’ll see!

Oh, yeah. I haven’t given most of these cards twilight costs yet. It’s a pretty new kind of card, so I wanted your input on how much to put them at.

0 ∙Shelob’s Lair Gollum
Condition ∙ Support Area
Location (This condition may not be discarded by an opponent’s card). When the fellowship moves to site 8 (or site 8[K]), transfer this condition to that site.
At the start of your shadow phase, you may play a Gollum minion from your draw deck. If you do this, unless this condition is transferred to a site, discard your hand.
SP20

0 ∙Minas Tirith Gondor
Condition ∙ Support Area
Location (This condition may not be discarded by an opponent’s card). When the fellowship moves to site 5 (or site 3[K]), transfer this condition to that site.
Skirmish: If this condition is transferred to a site, make an unbound companion strength +1 for each Gondor fortification you can spot (limit once per turn).
SP25

And, no, these locations aren’t invincible. If you change the site, the location goes bye-bye. And I’ve got a few cards that can get rid of locations anyhow.

Here’s one card in a big cycle I’ve got written up, based around companions who aren’t exhausted.

2 ∙Samwise the Brave Shire
Condition
Bearer must be Sam.
While Sam is not exhausted, he is defender +1.
While Sam is not exhausted, for each wound on Frodo, Sam is strength +1.
SP51

Let me know what you think!
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:51 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Sweet deal, all around. Love the idea of using songs.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:33 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Sweet deal, all around. Love the idea of using songs.

I’ll second that! Thumbs Up
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
menace64
Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:08 am
Well thanks for the positive responses, fellas.

But I’m still looking for input on how much the location conditions should cost. lol.

Here’s two more.

0 ∙Amon Hen Isengard
Condition ∙ Support Area
Location (This condition may not be discarded by an opponent’s card). When the fellowship moves to site 3 (or site 7[F]), transfer this condition to that site.
While this condition is transferred to a site, the first Uruk-hai you play each shadow phase gains:
“Until the regroup phase, characters skirmishing this minion lose all strength bonuses from weapons.”
SP28

2 ∙The King of the Golden Hall Rohan
Condition
Bearer must be Theoden.
While Theoden is not exhausted, he is damage +1.
Assignment:
If Theoden is not exhausted, assign him to a minion of higher strength to exert that minion twice.
SP39
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:38 pm
menace64 wrote:
0 ∙Shelob’s Lair Gollum
Condition ∙ Support Area
Location (This condition may not be discarded by an opponent’s card). When the fellowship moves to site 8 (or site 8[K]), transfer this condition to that site.
At the start of your shadow phase, you may play a Gollum minion from your draw deck. If you do this, unless this condition is transferred to a site, discard your hand.
SP20

Just make it ’any site 8’ and be done with it. So you get to play a Gollum minion from your draw deck, but then have to discard your hand if you’re not at site 8? Could it not be worded more clearly?

menace64 wrote:
0 ∙Minas Tirith Gondor
Condition ∙ Support Area
Location (This condition may not be discarded by an opponent’s card). When the fellowship moves to site 5 (or site 3[K]), transfer this condition to that site.
Skirmish: If this condition is transferred to a site, make an unbound companion strength +1 for each Gondor fortification you can spot (limit once per turn).
SP25

Again, ’any site 5’. You should assume people use the Shadows site path just because it’s more fun and more interesting. Could you just make it something which only happens once per turn like at the start of the maneuver or assignment phases? Just don’t like limits much.

menace64 wrote:
0 ∙Amon Hen Isengard
Condition ∙ Support Area
Location (This condition may not be discarded by an opponent’s card). When the fellowship moves to site 3 (or site 7[F]), transfer this condition to that site.
While this condition is transferred to a site, the first Uruk-hai you play each shadow phase gains:
“Until the regroup phase, characters skirmishing this minion lose all strength bonuses from weapons.”
SP28

’Site 3’ automatically means fellowship block. I think I may have therefore misunderstood you on the last 2 cards. Just saying a site number makes it by default Fellowship. If you want it to work on Shadows, it needs to say any. Couldn’t you make this ability the same format as Minas Tirith above? Just makes a lot more sense rather than giving someone an ability in this manner. So:

Skirmish: Make a companion skirmishing an Uruk-hai lose all strength bonuses from weapons until the regroup phase (limit once per turn).’

Or without the limit like I said above. I know they’re slightly different, but I think this one is clearer.

I reckon your locations are costed appropriately, but I think they’re just a bit unnecessary. D did quite a few on the line of a similar concept without creating a keyword and making weird conditions forcing you into strange wordings. If you don’t like that approach, why not just make them sites?

menace64 wrote:
2 ∙Samwise the Brave Shire
Condition
Bearer must be Sam.
While Sam is not exhausted, he is defender +1.
While Sam is not exhausted, for each wound on Frodo, Sam is strength +1.
SP51

Can’t complain. Good use of the title.

menace64 wrote:
Condition
Bearer must be Theoden.
Assignment:
If Theoden is not exhausted, assign him to a minion of higher strength to exert that minion twice.
SP39

Again, excellent title and good theme.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:12 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
menace64 wrote:
Well thanks for the positive responses, fellas.

But I’m still looking for input on how much the location conditions should cost. lol.

Here’s two more.

0 ∙Amon Hen Isengard
Condition ∙ Support Area
SP28
I think each should be each uruk-hai...

Condition
Bearer must be Theoden.
Assignment:
SP39

coolio. make the first ability just he is damage +1 though IMSO
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards