LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
syndrome
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:15 pm
My first DCI sanctioned event. We played 4 swiss rounds with a total of 8 players.

I began drafting a rather weird deck, and ended with a less than perfect deck. Although it had some nice combos and a very cool card, Torchling. I went mono red, and happened to get a full red deck. Intending to do direct damage, I managed to only get 2 creature damage cards, and 2 direct damage ones and so the gameplay came down to my creatures.

My favorite combo of the deck was Firefright Mage + Torchling, and another was Flowstone Embrace + Bloodshot Trainee. However, I lost my first match up versus a white/blue deck (had a bunch of strats in it...) 0-2. I also lost my second match up versus a sliver/counter deck. Finally wining my third matchup against a mixed strat green deck and also taking my last matchup against a creature kill monoblack deck.

2-2 was my overall score and I ended up in 5th or 6th place overall (I don’t recall)

A buddy of mine (sliver/counter deck) ended up taking 2nd though.

Sorry for lack of details, I’ll pay more attention next tournament. Very Happy
http://myspace/delicatesituation
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:59 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Most of the time, Draft IS all about your creatures, so don’t bother trying to set out for a burn deck. Burn is welcome when you can get it, as is basically any form of removal, but creatures are the main beatsticks. In my last Draft, I went RB, with Torchling, Tombstalker, 2 Deepcavern Imp, Reckless Wurm, 2 Grave Scrabbler, Call to the Netherworld, Urborg Syphon-Mage, Sudden Death and some others, and finished in second, losing only due to manascrew against a VERY good sliver deck. Torchling is great because you get to pick out their annoying creatures, or even draw out ALL their defenses to one creature coming through with the others, NOT because he’s a possible 5/1. A good combo was, while on the defensive, my 2 Grave Scrabblers and my Syphon-Mage (look out for it, might be easy to get since no one really wants the first ones). I blocked with a scrabbler, and it ended up in the graveyard. Then, every time he tried an attack, I’d activate Syphon-Mage discarding the second one, drain 2 life, madness it out and get the first one back, and then block and let it die, thus repeating. I actually won a game only doing this and defending. Of course, if you have other sacrifice outlets, like Greater Gargaon or Fallen Ideal, it becomes really cool to have the combo in the deck.
I don't like YOU.
syndrome
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:31 pm
I hope you’ve made a standard deck with that combo. That seems like a nice deck basis ^^
http://myspace/delicatesituation
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:43 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Not really, it’s actually too weak a combo to survive Standard, These nice little 2-card interactions only show up in Limited.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion