LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
syndrome
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:39 pm
--- description ---
This deck suspends Greater Gargadon, then uses Rift Elementals ability coupled with tactically sacrificing creatures to remove counters to get your beast out sooner.
--- end description ---

Gargadon Rush (v2) coming soon!

Quote:
Decklist for Mr. FaToL v1 OBSOLETE
Permanents[53]:
Creatures[21]:
x03 Flaring Flame-Kin
x04 Rift Elemental
x01 Greater Gargadon
x02 Torchling
x03 Firefright Mage
x03 Bogardan Lancer
x03 Keldon Halberdier
x02 Bloodshot Trainee
Enchantments[10]:
x04 Taste for Mayhem
x02 Leyline of Lightning
x02 War’s Toll
x02 Pyrohemia
Artifacts[02]:
x02 Magewright’s Stone
Lands[20]:
x20 Mountain
Non-Permanents[07]:
Sorceries[05]:
x01 Rift Bolt (mean to add more)
x04 Arc Blade
Instants[02]:
x02 Fury Charm

Strategy: Rift Elemental is used to remove counters from Keldon Harlberdier, Greater Gargadon, Rift Bolt, and Arc Blade. With 10 mana and 2 suspend counters on Arc Blade you could trigger 4 damage and make your Rift Elemental +10/0. Etc.

Flaring Flame-kin and Bloodshot Trainee both work with Taste for Mayhem wonderfully.

Another interesting combo is Bogardan Lancer + Leyline of Lightning. Seeings how the Leyline triggers first, Bogardan comes in play with his +1/+1 counter.

Rest is fairly obvious to see.

I will be playing this deck in a standard tournament on the 17th of July. I need to make it stronger, suggestions are welcome!
Last edited by syndrome on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:37 pm; edited 9 times in totalhttp://myspace/delicatesituation
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:21 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
My only suggestion would be: don’t go there. For instance, I’m ok with you wanting to play mono-red, but up the land count at least a little, so you can squeeze in Keldon Megaliths, for one. Then, you mess up in some stuff while trying to keep true to the deck’s name, which is not that great. Leyline of Lightning sucks, big time. Bogardan Lancer, well, why not simply going with Blood Knight? It’s as easier to cast as the former, and ALWAYS better...
War’s Toll is... weird. It’s nice with stuff like Wing Shards, but I don’t see it being useful for the deck. Arc Blade costs too much, you CAN use, say, 1-2 copies of it, but that’s it. NEVER assume you’re going to get 10 mana, ’cause you won’t. Ever. If you do, you’ll probably lose due to lack of drawing spells anyway. Also, in monored, pack Browbeat. It’s amazing! If you’re using Greater Gargadon, you might want to use Mogg War Marshal, since you basically get 3 creatures (and, of course, 3 less tokens on Gargadon if you want) for 2 mana. Don’t focus a deck on auras, it’s too dangerous nowadays, what with so many decks packing Lightning Helix, Seal of Fire, Char, Psionic Blast, Tendrils of Corruption, Sudden Death and Sudden Shock, it’s just BEGGING to be 2-for-1ed. Cut Magewright’s Stone, it’s not good. Torchling costs WAY too much, and you won’t get to use it. Control is abundant, and you have a lot of countermagic AND white weenie creatures to worry, so pack AT LEAST 3 Sulfur Elemental maindecked, with a 4th copy sideboarded. If you want to discard cards, get rid of Firefright Mage and add in Sparkspitter, you not only get a better deal, but you also get to remove ANOTHER Gargadon counter. By the way, PLEASE, 4 Gargadons, will ya? Then, you need more burn, and better, so I’d suggest 2-3 copies of Seal of Fire, and 4 Char is mandatory! If someone drops Teferi’s Moat, you’re dead without a reasonable amount of burn.
For now, I’d also suggest, if you’re posting a tournament deck, to post a sideboard to go with it, as well as to inform us of the general meta in your area, makes it much easier.
I don't like YOU.
syndrome
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:25 pm
CC is out of browbeat, greater gargadon, sulfur elemental, seal of fire and char. I have 1 sulfur already as well as 1 gargadon, but otherwise I’m going to need to trade for the rest...

Got any?

Oh and I need more rift bolt.

And what about: keldon marauders? Tap 2, sacrifice for gargadon = 2 damage total, minus a token on Gargadon.
http://myspace/delicatesituation
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:04 pm
Not to mention, you actually get to swing for 3 once! Great idea, I’d forgotten about it...
I don't like YOU.
syndrome
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:57 pm
I’ll trade you my Beta Royal Assassin for all the cards I mentioned I wasn’t buying from CC <_<
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:50 am
Hum... no. Royal Assassin is still lame. Razz
Ok, Char might be hard to get, but seriously, Browbeat shouldn’t be THAT hard, plus Rift Bolt, SUlfur Elemental and Seal of Fire shouldn’t be hard AT ALL to get, and I believe that, with some effort, you can get some Gargadons as well. Just try, and let me know what you DO have/can get your hands on, so I cant ry and work something out for ya. Is monogreen aggro or monogreen haste, or even Black Rack too hard for you to try and assemble? Or Goblinstorm without duals and pains?
I don't like YOU.
syndrome
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:24 pm
I have almost no standard cards. Like, a stack of a couple hundred only.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:58 pm
Take a look at the article I just posted. Combining Arc Blade, Sword of the Meek, Gathan Raiders, Raging Goblin and such stuff should make for a nice deck, being both cheap and "assemble-able" since most cards are in stock or are common/uncommon. Drop the expensive rares, add in stuff like Sparkspitter, Fiery Temper and Reckless Wurm and make yourself a hellbent/madness deck. Rakdos Pit Dragon can come in, too.
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:13 pm
Also, while on the subject of Rift Elemental, if you can afford to make a minor blue splash for some card-drawing and such, Reality Strobe is one annoying spell with Rift Elemental down.
I don't like YOU.
syndrome
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:35 pm
Thanks for the help felipe, got a lot of cool cards to add Smile

I think for now I’m going monored, but I’ll definitely consider going /blue. We’ll see how well it performs on the 17th.

I’m always open for more suggestions!

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)