LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:40 am
--- description ---
A basic Thallid deck made from my limited card pool. If it isn’t standard legal, please help!
--- end description ---

Lands: (22)
Simic Growth Chamber (who doesn’t like extra mana?)
Pendelhaven
Forest x14
Swamp x6

Creatures: (27)
Fungal Behemoth (the beatstick)
Kavu Primarch (easy tokens for Behemoth)
Sporeback Troll (tokens...)
Aquastrand Spider x3 (token, token, token)
Skarrgan Pit-Skulk (good place to PUT tokens)
Sporoloth Ancient (makes each thallid only need two tokens)
Sporesower Thallid x2 (good combo with the Ancient, and even adds tokens on the Behemoth)
Thelon of Havenwood (Good pump, with the Sporesower, gives more power to Behemoth)
Deathspore Thallid x3 (Creature destruction)
Savage Thallid x2
Thallid Germinator x3 (good finisher if one attack goes through)
Thallid Shell-Dweller (good defense)
Thallid x2
Utopia Mycon (mmm... mana)
Herd Gnarr (good with all those saporlings...)

Enchantments: (2)
Verdant Embrace
Utopia Sprawl

Sorceries: (3)
Thrive x3 (good tokens...)

Instants: (6)
Healing Leaves
Sprout x2
Summoner’s Pact
Strength In Numbers x2 (lots of tokens, lots of trample damage)

Yeah, noob deck, lots of one-ofs, but hey, that’s what I"ve got. What sets could I buy to make it better? Could I bring it to a small local tourney and not get crunched?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:14 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
NOpe, you WOULD get crushed as it is now, sorry. But that doesn’t mean Thallids can’t work! First thing, you need at least one more Behemoth if he’s your finisher, but keep in mind that the spore counters DO NOT count for the Behemoth, and that a 1/1 creature with a +1/+1 counter is essentially a 2/2 creature, not subject to Pendelhaven, which makes the dekc a little bit sloppy as it is now, too much going on at once. I’d stick with either Thallids, or +1/+1 counters, so let’s stick with thallids for now, as their more fun. So, you need a way to stall the ground to make a bunch of saprolings, in order to crush them. I’d suggest upping the Thallids count as much as possible, and paying attention to white as it has some pretty good answers to stuff, relegating black to a mere splash for the Deathspore Thallid.
So, here is where you could start from, to get the deck running:

4 Terramorphic Expanse
2 Vitu-Ghazi, the City Tree
3 Orzhov Basilica
7 Forest
4 Plains
2 Swamp
4 Thallid
4 Thallid Shell-Dweller
3 Utopia Mycon
2 Mycologist
4 Deathspore Thallid
2 Thallid Germinator
4 Psychotrope Thallid
4 Sporesower Thallid
4 Sporoloth Ancient
3 Sprout
4 Harmonize

Sideboard:
2 Ghostway
3 Glare of Subdual
4 Temporal Isolation
3 Krosan Grip
3 Tormod’s Crypt

The deck is slow, and then explosive. Sporesower Thallid + Sporoloth Ancient means that all your thallids can suddenly make 1 saproling a turn! Then, you can burst out an army of saprolings at the end of your opponent’s turn, and overrun them in your turn, by attackign with everything, and sacrificing whatever gets blocked to pump whatever does not. Deathspore Thallid will not only help clear a path, but also get rid of utility creatures like llanowar elves, birds of paradise, dark confidant, etc. If your opponent wrathes the board, you can make and sac your saprolings for some cool effects like gaining a ton of life or drawing a bunch of cards to refill your hand. Also, Harmonize helps you get back to the game. THe bounce lands should help ensure you won’t miss a lando drop early, and expanses ensure you’ll have your colors.
Then, sideboard presents some answers to specific threats. Krosan Grip helps punish decks dependant on artifacts (like signets?), or get rid of annoying Teferi’s Moat or Worship. Ghostway is here to help save your army to fight another day, but be careful, since it won’t save tokens, and spore counters will be lost, remember to get the most out of the tokens, like gaining a ton of life to drag the game on (it helps you), or to refill your hand. Then, the rest of the sideboard is dedicated to 1 of your biggest problems, big creatures. Tormod’s Crypt stops dredge combos, as well as reanimator decks, ’cause let’s face it, if they pop out an early Akroma, angel of wrath, you’re doomed. Then, you have Glare of Subdual to stall even more (it stops Akroma, btw), or to stop an army of bigger creatures (say, slivers) long enough to launch a devastating alpha strike. Last, but not least, you have Temporal Isolation, which is VERY cool to drop on top of a Bogardan Hellkite in response of it coming into play to fry your creatures! It’ll stop the damage, prevent it from blocking, well, pretty much make playing him a misuse of mana!
So, anyway, here’s where I’d start from. The deck is still pretty much budget, and it’s fun to play, although it’s not a top tier deck, mind you. But can be really fun to pilot!
I don't like YOU.
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:19 pm
Wow... I’m a bit overwhelmed. The response will be similar for the rest of my decks, I’m guessing, but hey, I’m new, I can’t expect to just throw out something amazing at first. If Cobra wasn’t going down, I could order some of the stuff I need... Thanks for the advice, I’ll see if I can’t pick up some of the suggested cards somewhere. Thumbs Up
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
NBarden
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:29 pm
F_M, that looks like cool deck. But...for a complete noob (even more than EL), what would you recommend for maybe a just Green deck?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
corvus
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:42 am
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
I’d say some nice cheap elves. Here goes a nice decklist:

Heedless One
Taunting Elf x2
Wellwisher x2
Timberwatch Elf x4
Llanowar Elves x4
Elvish Pioneer x4
Wood Elves x3
Defiant Elf x4

Blanchwood armor x4

Giant Growth x4
(an instant that gives +X/+X to target creature for each elf in play) x4
Overrun x3

Forest x21
Pendelhaven

As for sideboard, you can use huricane, naturalize et
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 am
For a Standard, monogreen Thallids build (mind you, monocolored decks are usually the simplest to start your own deckbuilding process, and are easier to play with, but they’re ALWAYS more vulnerable, even though every now and then a really explosive monocolored deck arises), I’d go with Thallids and Saprolings, something like:

4 Terramorphic Expanse
3 Plains
2 Vitu-Ghazi, the City Tree
12 Forest
1 Pendelhaven
4 Thallid
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Thallid Shell-Dweller
2 Thallid Germinator
4 Psychotrope Thallid
4 Sporesower Thallid
4 Sporoloth Ancient
4 Harmonize
3 Sprout Swarm (the Sprout in the deck suggested above IS supposed to be Sprout Swarm, btw)
3 Coat of Arms
2 Primordial Rage (released in 10th edition)

I’d go from something like this. Notice that, even though it has Plains in it, it’s solely for the purpose of paying for the ability in Vitu-Ghazi (or to fit Glare of Subdual in the sideboard).
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:54 pm
Thanks! WHOA! That Sporesower Thallid is pretty powerful.

Oh, and on Terramorphic Expanse, wouldn’t it be better to just put an additional 4 forests in the deck? Cause it seems all it does is grab a basic land.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 pm
It IS all it does. However, in order to activate Vitu-Ghazi’s ability, you need white mana, thus, you need a Plains. I could simply switch them with plains, but then, you can open a hand with, say, 2 plains and nothing else, while if you happen to open a hand with 1 plains and 1 terramorphic, you can keep it. Most of the time, of course, Terramorphic Expanse fetches you Plains, but you see, it COULD happen that you’d need to fetch a Forest, it IS a card game after all, so there’s the luck factor involved...
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:41 pm
I see.

Oh, and I saw this awesome card that provides an even bigger swarm of creatures. Orochi Hatchery. Not a Thallid, but I was talking to a guy who plays a Snake/Thallid deck. Orochi Hatchery is at least worth a shot in any deck that throws out tons of creatures.
elf lvr
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:42 am
NBarden wrote:
I see.

Oh, and I saw this awesome card that provides an even bigger swarm of creatures. Orochi Hatchery. Not a Thallid, but I was talking to a guy who plays a Snake/Thallid deck. Orochi Hatchery is at least worth a shot in any deck that throws out tons of creatures.

Well, it’s not standard-legal, but unless that bothers you... snakes seem like a really fun deck.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)