LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Extended (Type 1.X)
NBarden
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:40 pm
--- description ---
Stalking Vengeance mayhem.
--- end description ---

I don’t have a clue how the formats work, but here’s an idea on a deck. I don’t have any actual cards, but here’s my idea.

Mountain x 20
Molten Slagheap x 4

Browbeat x 4
Shock x 3
Pyroclasm x 4

Spark Elemental x 4
Blistering Firecat x 4
Lightning Elemental x 3
Sparkspitter x 2
Stalking Vengeance x 4
Phyrexian Soulgorger x 2
Glass Golem x 2
Greater Gargadon x 4

This deck forces your opponent into a dilemna, block and kill the creature, to get killed by Stalking Vengeance, or don’t block and get dealt damage from the creature. Or wait until you pull a Pyroclasm, or Greater Gargadon.

Blocking is easy. Block, get killed, deal damage with Stalking Vengeance.

Whatever you do, don’t let Stalking Vengeance fight.

Any thoughts?

WOW the only expensive card in the deck is browbeat! I think I may actually build this deck.
Last edited by NBarden on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:40 am; edited 7 times in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:13 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
The deck runs an ABSURD amount of lands, heavy control builds run around 24-26 and it’s already a lot. Then, again, it’s a bit slow. If you want to keep the strategy flowing, you may consider dropping a few lands and playing some cards like Rite of Flame, Seething Song, and even up the Black count a bit (by replacing some mountains with Bloodstained Mire, Blood Crypt and Sulfurous Spring) to fit in Cabal Ritual, too (this deck would qualify for Extended). Also, you play too many suboptimal creatures for the sake of abusing their power, and have no real way to get them killed unless combat happens AND the defending player blocks as you’dlike them too. I’d try out Phyrexian Arena, too (draws more cards), use cards like Raise Dead and Call to the Netherworld, and run 4x Greater Gargadon. This way, you can sac creatures to a suspended Gargadon and have them deal damage. If a Gargadon comes online, you sac him to another one, and Raise Dead and such let you get the original back to hand to suspend them again if need be. It also lets you get Stalking Vengeance back in case it gets killed. Last, it gives you another game plan (Gargadon beatdown) in case they foil the vengeance one. Oh, and GET Vengenace into combat, otherwise, what good is it to play an overly expensive hast creature? Just play Pandemonium and abuse things like Force of Savagery.
You could also try out a few copies of Simian Spirit Guide (for even more acceleration), Rakdos Signet and Zombify / Dread Return. These last two are not good to target Gargadon (as you want him suspended), but can get a Vengeance back to the table, AND attacking, as it has haste. You could even fit in Gathan Raiders. Play them as a morph, discard the Vengeance to unmorph them, reanimate the Vengeance the following turn. If you’ve reached hellbent, you can even sac Raiders to gargadon, and they’ll deal 5 damage!
I don't like YOU.
corvus
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:17 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
I looooooove the way you think!!!! Here goes an improved version of such a deck:

Mountain x20
Lotus Bloom x3
Seething Song x3
Rite of Flame x3

Browbeat x4
Shock x3
Pyroclasm x4

Spark Elemental x4
Blistering Firecat x4
Lightning Elemental x2
Needlepeak Spider x2
Stalking Vengeance x4
Glass Golem x4

You need to set up your mana base pretty quick and then use cheap cards like shock (instants are much better!!!) to use Stalking Vengeance at maximum.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:37 pm
Lose Shock and Pyroclasm, up the count to 4 Lotus, 4 Songs and 4 Rites and pack 4 Gargadons. 1 Gargadon lets you sac a whole bunch of creatures. Also, drop Needlepeak Spider and Spark Elemental for Sparkspitter (lets you make park Elementals each turn) and Squee, Goblin Nabob (discard him to Sparkspitter, he’ll be back in your hand the following turn to be tossed again). You can also think about dropping Glass Golem in favor of better sac outlets. However, I still like the BR version better, specially since BR happens to be the letters that represent Brazil! Razz
I don't like YOU.
corvus
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:52 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
LOL let’s keep this rare-away friendly as possible shall we? Laughing

Next you’ll tell him to pack 4 BR painlands, 4 BR shocklands, 4 BR fetchlands, 4 extirpate, 4 damnation, 4 Lotus Bloom and 4 Chrome Mox

For the name of Arcanis, give the guy a break Laughing
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:06 pm
Well, for keeping monored, the only rare I suggested was ONE more Bloom, and the Gargadons, which are not that expensive.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:21 pm
I want to keep it mono-red, because I’m just starting, but if I ran Black, damnation would be nice. (Like I could afford it). Lotus bloom is out of the question, price wise.

I like Greater Gargadon, once it gets suspended, I can start sacrificng galore to deal damage and get Gargadon into play.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:50 pm
Yep. Also, NBarden, if you’re just starting, then I’ll assume you’ll be playing most casual, or Extended (more sets available), so there’s always ways around. Can’t afford Damnation? Go ahead and play Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth (really good with stuff like Korlash, heir to Blackblade and such), and Mutilate. Wink
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:18 pm
Hey, NBarden, I’ve been thinking... If you want to start playing competitively, you’ll probably need a Standard deck, so, would you like me to go through building some mono-colored, rare-free standard decks? I could call corvus, and we could brainstorm on doing so. Same goes for elf lvr.
Btw, I wrote an article a while back called Budget 101, I think you could take a quick look through them. They’re a bit out of date (no Future Sight, and 9th edition instead of 10th, which becomes the standard core set next saturday), but then again, Cobra’s prices are now HALF what they were back then, so there will be some dirty cheap decks now for placing a final order tomorrow.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:48 pm
Sure. What do you think of the revisions to my deck now? I was invited to a MtG night tomorrow and a TCG shop here, and I’d like to start mooching. Wink

Erm, I mean buying cards. Anxious
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Extended (Type 1.X)