LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:52 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
The red carpet is out at the Cobra Cards forums. Even as hammers and drills signal renovations as the shop is closed down, the criss-crossing spotlights slicing through the night sky, the well-dressed guests, and the flashing bulbs of cameras grab all the attention. The Free Peoples Choice Awards have returned!

Many are milling about outside, posing for pictures and signing autographs giving comments to reporters that will come back to haunt them like The Nine themselves in the papers tomorrow. Cobra himself is yucking it up with a gaggle of reporters, and the rest swarm around forumers like AnxiousChieftain, sickofpalantirs, Anonymous Prodigy, Felipe Musco, corvus, menace64, elf lvr, and WitchKingBlkCapt and other CobraCards legends as they arrive. Newer blood like NBarden, Thranduil, macheteman, and BattleWarg garner plenty of attention as they arrive and strut their stuff down the red carpet past the "old-timers", who just shake their heads and smile.

Loud, boisterous conversation in the main hall turns to hushed whispers as the lights dim and everyone takes their seats. Swelling music from the "Lord of the Rings" films blare over the speakers, and the audience obeys as the APPLAUSE sign begins to flash. Out onto the stage walks the host of this grand event, a Dwarf dressed to the gills and smiling wide. He takes the podium, clears his throat, and politely motions for silence.

"Good evening, everyone! I’m Dáin Ironfoot, and welcome to the 2007 Free Peoples Choice Awards!"

Another round of applause, and then the host is able to quiet the crowd enough to continue.

"I know you’ve been waiting a long time for this. It’s been three long years since the last awards show, and I don’t have to remind you of all that’s happened to the LOTR TCG community in that time! We’ve seen Decipher wane and CobraCards rise, we’ve seen many new developments to the game, both good and bad, and now we’ve seen our beloved card game finally come to an end. Or perhaps not, if this player council thing works out!"

Another cheer goes up before Dáin continues.

"But through it all, the community has remained strong, and is still as strong as ever. And now, tonight, we honor those who have kept it going, and pay them back for the time and effort they have spent making this game, and the community around it, so much fun!"

"Let’s get right down to it, folks. Here are the awards!"

Applause, but abbreviated as people want to finally get on with it!

"Our first category was a two-man race, literally, all the way through. Only two people recieved votes, amazingly enough, and unfortunately, only one of them can win. So, for Best Overall Dream Card Maker, the winner is..." *opens the envelope* "...oh dear. It’s...uh...me, Dáin Ironfoot." Embarassed "Looks like I recieved ten votes, and AnxiousChieftain recieved two. And that’s it!"

"Next up, we have Best Creator of New Mechanics, a category which ran very tight right to the end! In fact, no less than three people came up only one vote shy. So who bested them in the end? Let’s go backwards to find out." Dáin is forced to duck under incoming fruit at creating more needless suspense, but manages to go on. "Menace64, CarpeGuitarrem, and that Dáin fellow (once again) came in just short with two votes apiece, tying for second. Behind them, AnxiousChieftain, Thranduil, Felipe Musco, and elf lvr each recieved a vote as well. But on top, with three votes, is Foresight! Congratulations!

Vigorous applause as Dáin accepts the next envelope.

"Okay, okay...next we have another dream card category, but this one has nothing to do with creating them...it has to do with those that reviews all those cards we DC makers create! They’ll all greatly appreciated, right folks?" Loud applause confirms that appreciation. "But one of them, according to your votes, stands out above all the rest. So who is the Best Reviewer of Dream Cards? Why it’s sickofpalantirs, perhaps the most consistent reviewer here. He wins this award with four votes...congrats! There was another tie for second: AnxiousChieftain and elf lvr each netted two votes. Single votes went to Thranduil, Anonymous Prodigy, lem0nhead, and...uh...me, again.

"Back to dream card creation for this next one: Best Dream Card Set. There are many sets--both completed ones and ones still being worked on today--that have graced the forums here, at Decipher, and elsewhere, and they’ve all been a blast to follow along and watch develop. But according to your votes, your favorite thus far has been Lasting Alliances, the dream card set based around The Hobbit and made by...me." Embarassed "I, uh, really should have gotten someone to co-present some of these. Anyway, I certainly didn’t hog all the votes. Three people voted for me, but just behind, with two votes apiece, were CarpeGuitarrem (for his Underdwellers and Summit-Dwellers of Arda sets), Anonymous Prodigy (for There and Back Again and The Field of Cormallen), and Turin06 for his many Star Wars sets. AnxiousChieftain got another vote as well for Assault on Middle-earth and his many other works."

Dáin accepts the award, blushing, and then tries to quickly quiet the crowd for the next award.

"Next up is a category that takes us beyond The Lord of the Rings, to a galaxy far, far away. Because the winner of this year’s Best Crossover DCs award goes to Turin06 and his Star Wars-themed cards. He was close with the previous category, and his time he took the cake. Bravo! Menace64 fell JUST short here with three votes to Turin’s four. Also getting votes were WeyounsLastClone, BattleWarg, AnxiousChieftain, and Dáin...er, me."

"And now our final DC category: Best DC Contest. There have been so many wonderfully enjoyable contests that it’s hard to count them all. This was another close race. elf lvr and lem0nhead each got a vote for their more recent contests, and Anonymous Prodigy netted two votes. Felipe Musco’s very popular Ultimate Designer Contest surged early on in the voting, but fell short of first place with a total of three votes. In the end, another community member’s contests crept up and took the lead, and didn’t surrender it. He’s been mentioned in virtually every category so far, but with four votes, this is the first award that AnxiousChieftain can claim as his own, for his wildly popular Battle Contests. Congrats, AC!"

"Next is an award of a more personal nature...namely, Best Personality. As you might guess, with all the personalities we have here at Cobra Cards, there was a lot of variety for this one." Laughter from the audience. "But in the end, even here, there was a clear winner. And that winner is, with three votes, elf lvr! Just behind him were the wild and zany WitchKingBlkCapt and sickofpalantirs, with two votes each. Also voted for: PorterTroll, Anonymous Prodigy, Corvus, NBarden, Menace64, and Dáin Ironfoot. But congrats to EL!"

"This next category, by necessity, had far less variety. After all, we only have so many moderators. So who was the Best Moderator? Well, elf lvr and Anonymous Prodigy got a vote again, and the ever-popular AnxiousChieftain doubled them both combined with four votes. But in the end, it turns out your favorite moderator, members of CC, is the seemingly-omniscient Merrick Hale. I know I was a little surprised by that, but he certainly knows how to sweep in and mod the heck out of things when it needs it, so perhaps it shouldn’t be so surprising after all. Congratulation, M_H!"

"Continuing our "best of the best" theme, we now come to an entirely different animal: role-playing. Perhaps it used to be bigger here than it is now, but RPGing has been a part of Cobra Cards for a long while, and several forumers have contributed faithfully (and continue to do so) in this little escape from the norm. So who’s your favorite? Who writes the best pieces and creates the most interesting characters and is the Best Overall RPGer? It was pretty much a two-man race right to finish line, with the decision not coming until the final vote. But that vote gives elf lvr his second award this year, getting five votes and using a late surge to squeak past Corvus and his four votes. Only two other people--NBarden and Dáin Ironfoot--got another vote at all."

"Our final "Best" award before we move on to a few "Most"s ended up being the most varied of all categories. That shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, however, as any category for Best Username should come up with a number of different responses. No less than ten people recieved votes: bobtheorc, Anonymous Prodigy, TheShyzle, mm doughnuts, elf lvr, lem0nhead, Thranduil, Frank the Hippo each recieved one. CarpeGuitarrem managed to get two, but lost out in the end to sickofpalantirs, whose 3 votes give HIM his second award of the day!"

"We’re halfway through, folks, so it’s intermission time! Come back in an hour and we’ll finish it up!"

Crickets chirp. No one dares move from their seat, except to pull rotten fruit from underneath and prepare to hurl them at the Dwarven host.

"Okay, okay! I guess you’ve waited long enough...."

"Now we come to a couple theoretical, just-for-kicks awards...sort of what ifs, if you will. And the first of those is a vote on who we think is Most Likely to Become a TCG Developer. A surprising eight people recieved votes, including Anonymous Prodigy, AnxiousChieftain, Felipe Musco, Foresight, and Turin06 with one apiece. Both bibfortuna25 and Dáin Ironfoot netted two votes, but with three votes, you can envision Menace64 as the most likely to work for Decipher or Wizards of the Coast...or whoever becomes the next big thing in card games. Congrats, Menace!"

"The next category is just plain funny: who do you think is Most Likely to Play Card Games Until They Die?" Laughter and applause in the audience, then nervous eye shifting. "I thought this one would be a shoo-in, but there ended up being a little real competition, as the eventual winner had to stage a comeback to take the cake. And that winner is NBarden, with a convincing five votes. Felipe Musco was the early leader, but ended up falling behind with only three votes in the end. AdultLink netted two, and AnxiousChieftain and Corvus snagged a vote each as well."

"Most Reliable Trader is a special award. There’s a lot of trading going on here, and some accusations have flung around recently that people aren’t always very...scupulous. I’d like to have faith in any and everyone, myself, but exceptionally reliable traders deserve to be recognized. And the one MOST recognized, according to the votes, has been doing this a long time: Corvus, who pulled away in the end with five votes. AnxiousChieftain nipped at his heels most of the way, but ended up with only three. Mythdracon and..." Dáin pauses to read the card closely "...Cobra got a vote as well. Who the heck traded with Cobra, and can I see a copy of Cobra’s Haves list?"

Laughter breaks up the flow for a minute.

"Alright, alright. I actually know who voted for Cobra, and why, but I’ll leave it up to him to reveal himself if he wishes. Razz Moving right along...."

"The next two awards go hand-in-hand, and made for perhaps the most interesting awards of the bunch thanks to how they turned out. I’ll go ahead and spoil that for Best Article Writer and Best Article of All Time, AnxiousChieftain and Felipe Musco kept going back and forth from the first votes to the last. There were more lead changes than a hotly-contested playoff game. So who won, and WHAT did they win? Did one of them sweep both awards? Let’s find out." Very Happy

"For Best Article Writer, I’ll start with the contestants NOT named AnxiousChieftain or Felipe Musco...well, actually, there’s just one: AdultLink got a single vote. The rest was, as I said, ALL AC and FM, surging and falling behind at different times throughout. But in the end, it was AnxiousChieftain that crossed the line first, but just by a nose: he got six votes, and Felipe had to settle for five. Such a good race!"

"As was the competition for Best Article of All Time. Two other people snagged votes this time (macheteman for his article ’The Utterly Corrupt Corruption’ and Super 3r0 for ’The time of the elves is over!?’), but once again, it was neck-and-neck between the other two. This time, however, it was Felipe Musco that came out ahead, with his famous (and appropriately-named Razz) ’Only The Best Prevail’ article still sitting pretty with six votes. AnxiousChieftain’s amazing ’Gamling Won’t You Blow Your Horn?’ article tried hard, but couldn’t quite unseat FM’s and had to settle for four votes. But congrats to you both, and thanks for one of the more enjoyable parts of tallying the votes!" Very Happy

"Just five more to go, the first of which is Best Maker of Deck Designs. I’d like to build a little hype and suspense with this one, but with the very clear winner garnering eight votes (and no one else getting more than one!), it’s kind of hard to do that. So I won’t even try. NBarden, take a bow, because you’re the one that got eight. AnxiousChieftain, michael knight, and Shadows could only marshal one vote each. Bravo, NB, on your second award!"

"Our next award recieved a lot of "no duh!" responses along with the vote, and for good reason, I suppose. After all, bibfortuna25’s gameplay reputation has reached almost legendary proportions around here, so with nine votes, he was the clear choice as Best Gameplay Question Answerer. Perhaps the only surprise is that there were actually other people that got votes: Merrick Hale, with two, and the ever-present AnxiousChieftain with one."

"Speaking of ever-present, let’s have a hand for Mr. Chieftain, because you voted the Best Reviewer of Articles/Deck Clinics to be none other than AnxiousChieftain, who takes a staggering THIRD award with four votes...but boy, was it close. NBarden was nipping at his heels the whole way, but couldn’t quite keep the pace and had to settle for three votes. elf lvr trailed him with two, and Anonymous Prodigy and sperzdechy followed HIM with one vote each."

"Now it’s time for the big "summary" award. We’ve been specific until now, but it’s time to get very general: who did you all vote the Best Overall CC Member? Once again, there was a good amount of variety on this one, which is good, I think. Corvus, sickofpalantirs, and AnxiousChieftain each had one person vote for them, and Dáin Ironfoot had two. In the end, the winner was Cobra himself, with four votes. But since I wasn’t very specific, I think it would be safe to actually award this to the person in second-place, since Cobra is sort of exempt. Razz So, I declare that, with three votes, the REAL winner out of us "common folk" Razz is actually Anonymous Prodigy. Congrats, my friend!"

"Hold the applause for just a moment! We have ONE more award...the "Special Award". This one goes to the person you all perhaps wanted to vote for elsewhere, but couldn’t find the room, or the person you think is just really special around here. Several people recieved votes, including AnxiousChieftain, NBarden, WitchKingBlkCapt, and Foresight. But the only person to get multiple votes--and this year’s winner of the Special Award--is Menace64! Congratulations again, you special guy, you!"

"And that’s it! We’re all out of awards, so see ya next year!"

Dáin tries to walk off the stage, but is pushed back out.

"Wha-huh? Oh, right! We’re NOT out of awards, actually...not by a longshot. Each person who voted will recieve a GP from me over the next couple days, as well as all our winners. Okay, goodnight!"

Once again, Dáin tries to exit, stage left, but is forcefully pushed back to the podium.

"Huh? Cards? You people want some cards?"

A loud and peeved "YES!!!" is shouted from a crowd which has now changed their fruit for torches and pitchforks.

"Okay, okay...sheesh. You don’t have to go all Dunlending on me."

Groans replace the shouting for a minute.

"Okay, yes, we have cards. Lots and lots and LOTS of cards. Here’s how this will work...."

"Each award winner will recieve AT LEAST one card out of this list for EACH award won. So if someone got two awards, they’ll get at least two cards, and so on. What I need to still do is decide HOW to do that. I know there are some cards that might be useless to people based on the decks they have and the strategies they use, so rather than just throw them out at random, I want to come up with some way of giving people stuff they want. I’ll figure that out very soon and get cards on their way to the winners, but not just yet. Patience with an old Dwarf, I beg of you!"

"In the meantime, though, thank Menace64 for the following massive list of cards." Cool

1C6 Delving
1C26 Their Halls of Stone
1U70 Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor
1C107 Great Shield
1U153 Uruk Slayer
1C277 Shadow’s Reach
1C286 Bounder
1U309 Rosie Cotton, Hobbiton Lass
1U322 Green Dragon Inn
1U345 Mithril Mine
1U355 Silverlode Banks
2C14 Till Durin Wakes Again
2C18 Hosts of the Last Alliance (Foreign Language)
2C24 Hugin, Emissary From Laketown
2C44 No Business of Ours
2C64 Goblin Scrabbler
2C65 Goblin Spearman
2C72 Troubled Mountains
3C6 Storm of Argument
3U100 Orc Veteran
3C108 Frying Pan
4C7 Dark Fury
4U13 Dunlending Pillager
4U96 Keep Your Forked Tongue
4C1231 Ranger’s Bow
4C187 Uruk Foot Soldier
4C189 Uruk Plains Runner
4C191 Uruk Rear Guard
4U202 Uruk-hai Band
4U233 Fearless
4U264 Ceorl, Weary Horseman
4C265 Elite Rider
4C306 Hobbit Sword
5C30 We Must Have It
5C68 Wolf-voices
5C83 Household Guard
5C97 Gate Soldier
5C98 Gate Trooper
5U105 Orc Fighter
6C5 Dunlending Reserve
6U16 Forearmed
6C53 Mortal Men
6U104 Orc Insurgent
6U120 Saruman’s Laboratory
7C34 Echoes of Valinor
7U102 Hasty Repairs
7C108 Knight’s Spear
7C124 Targon
7C132 Desert Nomad
7C199 Morgul Soldier
7C237 His Golden Shield
7U270 Gorgoroth Attacker
7C290 Mordor Soldier
7U307 Orc Stalker
7U228 Beacon of Minas Tirith
7U343 Pelennor Plain
7U3556 Cross Roads
8U82 Unhindered
10C50 Southron Savage
10C77 Advance Regular
10C80 Beaten Back
10U82 Cirith Ungol Patroller
10C84 Cirith Ungol Sentry
10U92 Mordor Pillager
10U117 Base of Mondolluin
10U118 Pelennor Prairie

Menace has asked that each award winner pick "two or three" cards from the list as a bonus prize. First come, first serve on these, folks! I would ask that each winner of one award pick two, and each winner of multiple awards pick three. In addition, I’d like everyone who voted (but didn’t win an award) to pick one card out of that list as well...as long as that’s okay with Menace. I appreciate your votes, and so with this generous donation, I have the opportunity to REALLY thank the 12 other people who took the time to vote. You know who you are, but just to highlight them and thank them again, they are SoP, bobtheorc, NBarden, CarpeGuitarrem, Anonymous Prodigy, AnxiousChieftain, legoles3333, Felipe Musco, lem0nhead, TheHobbit13, Thranduil, and a mysterious stranger known only (via e-mail) as "Tim Brown". Also, via PM this morning, ingold55 voted, but it was too late at that point. Thanks anyway, and he may certainly join the others in picking the card of their choice. Very Happy

And once again, the award winners are AC (three awards), Dáin (two awards), SoP (two awards), EL (two awards), Menace64 (two awards), NBarden (two awards), Corvus, Felipe Musco, bibfortuna25, AP, Merrick Hale, Foresight, and Turin06.

In addition, don’t forget the winners of the two contests held over the last several weeks. elf lvr just beat out Aragorn, King in Exile in the Deck-building Contest, and a TIE between WeyounsLastClone and Dáin Ironfoot for the Fellowship DCs Contest. Congrats to those winners as well. elf lvr will definately recieve Sam, Bearer of Great Need, as promised, but since the tie for the other contest was never broken, I’ll have to decide what to do about prizes for that contest. I think I’ll just let WLC have them, but I’ll announce for sure once I decide what to do for card prizes for the award winners. Stay tuned.

Congratulations to all, and get to picking cards out of that list while I decide how to handle the OTHER cards.

Thanks again for being here, everyone, and come again next year!
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:37 pm; edited 10 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
macheteman
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:02 am
hey i got a vote!!! who voted for me? this is awesome!!11!!1!!11!
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:04 am
You probably would have gotten several more if the majority of the voting hadn’t been, unfortunately, during your absence from the boards, mm. Sad
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
menace64
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:34 am
Hehe. I won the Most Likely to Become a TCG Developer Award in the last contest, too.

Maybe you’re all trying to tell me something? Laughing

Quote:
In addition, I’d like everyone who voted to pick one card out of that list as well...as long as that’s okay with Menace

That’s fine.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:24 pm
menace64 wrote:
Hehe. I won the Most Likely to Become a TCG Developer Award in the last contest, too.

Maybe you’re all trying to tell me something? Laughing

Really? I’d forgotten that. That IS pretty funny. Razz

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:43 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I almost won best personality Laughing

I WON BEST USERNAME?????

whoa...I would like Knights mount, Make haste, and Blades drawn. if I can get 4 add in base of minduillon
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:00 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
whoa...I would like Knights mount, Make haste, and Blades drawn.

Those three shall be yours, then. I’ll just remove them from the list. Thumbs Up

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:02 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
how about for the rest of the cards you paste images of Frenzy of arrows the faithful stone and other broken cards and burn them all. take a video of course and post it here Wink
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:09 pm
As for me, I think I’d like Ecglaf, Courageous Farmer and Eowyn, Restless Maiden (who combo nicely together). For my third...hmmm...I’ll go with Quickbeam, Bregalad. Just a neat card if I ever get some Ents.

ingold55
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:11 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
Congrats all!!! Very Happy Very Happy

sorry I didn’t get mine off in time... Embarassed

Enjoyed it. Are you going to have another one Dain?

I am not qualified to get a card, so somebody else can have it...

ingold
There is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

Cool this is my attempt to look cool.
Trade list (Want Balrogs and Aragorns)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion