LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats
lonadar
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:16 pm
A long while back, I found a deck on a web site called the "Library of Dominaria". Yea, I said it was a while back. It was, I’ve found, inspiried by TurboZvi in using Dream Halls for a combo-kill. This particular deck, however, was a bit tuned to multiplayer games, using Prosperity to make everyone draw cards.

I’ve long since lost the actual list, and so many many cards have come out since then, but my wife and I are going to be playing some multiplayer Magic before too long and I thought this would be a fun deck to bring into the mix.

However, I haven’t done much with anything post-Saviors, and haven’t taken a keen look at this deck for years anyway. I’d like to get some advice or comments about how I can upgrade this deck using some of the cards now available.

Two things to keep in mind - the format is nothing restricted, but no Ante cards. Also, the power I own is: Lotus, Recall, Walk, Pearl and Jet. I also own a Library of Alexandria.

I remember the core of the deck was based around these cards: Dream Halls, Prosperity, Gaea’s Blessing, Ancestral Memories, Time Warp and I think Dissipate (at the time, I think it was a Type 2 legal deck), as well as lots of Islands.

Just to make sure all the bases are covered, here’s how this works: Get Dream Halls out as fast as possible. Use Dream Halls to play cards. Use Time Warp to take additional turns, untap and play more cards. Play Ancestral Memories, putting any Gaea’s Blessings into the graveyard and resetting the graveyard (since Memories technically moves any cards not selected into the graveyard, Blessing triggers shuffling the graveyard into my library).

Get lots of lands out, play big Prosperity. Take more turns, play more Prosperities. Trick out Blessings to recycle my graveyard and make sure I don’t deck myself. (I thought I used Turnabout to tap and re-tap my lands for lots of mana, but it’s been so long.) Eventually, people get decked, and you win.

I’ve looked over some things, and found a number of cards interested me. Some were for the mana base:
Black Lotus, Mox Pearl, Mox Jet, Lotus Petal, G/U duals, Suyelunite Temple, Crystal Vein, Ancient Tomb, Tolarian Academy, Library of Alexandrea.

Some were updates of some of the key elements: Time Stretch, Beacon of Tomorrow, Counterspell, Force of Will, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk.

Still others were just neat ideas: Quash, Merchant Scroll, Cunning Wish, Early Harvest, Fact or Fiction, Isochron Scepter, and I own one Twincast.

And finally, there’s some that might have been in the deck, but I’m just not sure: Turnabout, Mystical Tutor, Tangle Wire, Propaganda.

So...help. Please. I could say "if it ain’t broke" but so much time has passed that I’m sure there’s improvement to be made. I’m just beating my head against the wall trying to make efficient changes without overloading the deck with a lot of "else".

- lonadar
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:27 pm
I’m pretty n00b-ish to MtG, but if you’re trying to deck out your opponents, you can’t go wrong with Traumatize (from tenth) or Magus of the Jar.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:43 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Traumatize is too duel-oriented. It’s great in Two-Headed Giant, since if you deck ONE player, they both lose, but in multiplayer, the way to go is something like infinite mana +stroke of genius/whetweel, otherwise you’re just a sitting duck to the other players. Fastbon + Gush is always a pretty nice way to draw some cards, btw. And stuff like Brain Freeze (with the Storm mechanic), alongside Moxes, Lotuses, Lion’s Eye Diamond, etc... makes for a cool trick, too.
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:58 am
Btw, having an actual list so we can take a look to spot weaknesses is a great starting point!
I don't like YOU.
lonadar
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:40 pm
Well, I don’t have much in the way of an actual list, but here’s what I was toying with:

4 Dream Halls
4 Prosperity
4 Gaea’s Blessing
4 Ancestral Memories
4 Time Warp

4 Propaganda
4 Tangle Wire

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Time Walk

3 Counterspell
2 Quash

2 Turnabout

2 Mystical Tutor
2 Merchant Scroll
2 Cunning Wish

4 Yavimaya Coast / Tropical Island
1 Syelunite Temple
1 Crystal Vein
1 Ancient Tomb
10 Islands
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:21 am
I’d lose Quash, letting it to the SB. Counterspell is waaay superior. I’d pack Stifle in case someone tries to use a Storm spell or any other nasty combo, like Goblin Charbelcher on the second turn... Also, sorry my asking, but, do you ACTUALLY have a Black Lotus?!?!? Wow... In case you do, then you MUST have access to an uncommon from Alliances, called Force of Will. Pack it, as well, no U deck in T1 (which is usually what casual decks are built for) without it. For the other cards, I’d have to check them more carefully, to try and grasp the strategy, as I’m not familiar with them (I’m mostly a T2 player, with just a bit of knowledge from other formats). Also, you WILL be playing multiplayer, right?
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats