LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Extended (Type 1.X)
NBarden
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:06 pm
--- description ---
Between these tags, give a short description of your deck. Go a step beyond basic decktype info, and tell us what makes your design unique!
--- end description ---

Island x 8
Faerie Conclave x 4
Mountain x 6
Steam Vents x 4
Ghitu Encampment x 4
Kher Keep

Arcane Laboratory x 4
Spellburst x 4

Blaze x 4
Flame Wave x 4
Bomb Squad x 4
Solar Blast x 4

Essence Fracture x 4
Primoc Escapee x 4
Counterspell x 4

Create a lock-down with Arcane Laboratory and Spellburst, some of your lands can become creatures if need be. Cycle as much as possible until you get some Bomb Squad. Begin blowing up creatures with Bomb Squad. They can’t stop it, they can’t even get any creatures in play. Deal damage as much as possible with various other spells. This deck probably stinks, but I’m experimenting.
Last edited by NBarden on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:15 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
The idea is fun (btw, I’d start with Standard Decks if I were you), however, you need an awful lot of mana to create a true lockdon (since you might have to counter/buyback twice a turn, during yours, and during theirs), and the man-lands don’t help that much. That being said, playing 30-some lands is ALSO not the way to go, a deck (beside Landstill and 42Lands.dec, from Vintage/Legacy) should only play 26 lands TOPS (and that’s REALLY tops, I’d go with 24-25). Instead, you need card drawing/tutoring, so you can get your "combo" pieces faster. Also, notice you still have to survive the other player’s assault, so you need some early counters to prevent uber-efficient creatures like Boros Swiftblade from coming into play. I’d go with a UB version, playing either the 12 Urza’d Lands or 4 Cloudpost and 4 Vesuva (to copy them), which in turn would give me access to tutoring effects, Cranial Extraction (i’d play Boseiju, Who Shelters All, as well), Duress, Cabal Therapy, Shadowmage Infiltrator and perhaps T2’s most popular "black" combo for multicolored decks, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Tendrils of Corruption. Fact or Fiction and Thirst for Knowledge are also great cards.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:50 pm
Cycling should help that. A lot.

I’ll take a look at surviving early hits, that’s why I run lands that can fight.

Maybe cut the excess lands for creatures?

Corvus also recommended 4x Cancel. Not sure what you thought of that.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:42 am
Good for Standard, sucks in Extended, when you can simply go and play stuff like Mana Leak, Force Spike, or, OF COURSE, Counterspell.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:16 pm
Question, what’s the difference between Counterspell and Cancel?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:57 pm
UU or 1UU for the same effect. Believe me, makes a HUGE difference... Wink
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:17 pm
Small changes. Cut 3x Mountain and 1x Island, added 4x Counterspell.

BTW, FM, just started college and I may have time for MtG. What’s that software you were telling me about?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:21 am
It’s called MWS (Magic Workstation). It has every Magic card ever printed, plus, you can dowload their images (or just play with the generated proxy the system gives you).
I don't like YOU.
corvus
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:50 am
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
Oh, it was extended? Shocked Well, of cource go with counter spell! And mana leak x4! Not to say a couple of rewinds as well. Indeed, add black instead. Give them some pain and good stuff like Damnation and extirpate. That would own hardcore with the lands! Use them or just keep them as lands and kil everything else with damnation!!!
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
NBarden
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:25 pm
Double Post.
Last edited by NBarden on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Extended (Type 1.X)