LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats
sickleofvalar
Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:50 pm
I know that this idea has probably been worn out, but I’d still like to submit it. Using a solo ringbearer to reduce twilight and get some sweet pumps was an alternative that really I liked. I looked around at every alternate ringbearer and noticed that Smeagol, Bearer of Great Secrets was probably my best bet. I loaded the deck with strength boosters that weren’t discarded the next turn, put cards in there that relied on one another, and best of all threw in cards that got rid of pesky minions. Here is the deck:

Sites:
(These are all Fellowship of the Ring sites)
1 East Road
2 Buckleberry Ferry
3 Council Courtyard
4 Balin’s Tomb
5 Bridge of Khazad-Dum
6 Lothlorien Woods
7 Anduin Wilderland
8 Anduin Banks
9 Tol Brandir

Ring Bearer: Smeagol, Bearer of Great Secrets
Ring: The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles

Free Peoples:

Allies
Thrarin, Dwarven Smith x2

Conditions
O Elbereth! Gilthoniel! x3
Poor Wretch x4
Safe Passage x4
Don’t Look at Them x3
Follow Smeagol x3

Events
Where Shall We Go x4
Nasty x4
Duality x4

Overall Strategy w/ Free Peoples: Get all conditions out in play as quickly as possible; your ringbearer’s life depends on it! Once a substantial amount of conditions are in play, you can you use Nasty to give you a nifty strength boost to prevent overwhelming. Use conditions that you have extras of in hand (that are unique) to help wound minions that are skirmishing Smeagol (Don’t Look at Them or Where Shall We Go). Safe Passage and Duality controls the twilight flow while Thrarin is your substitute in skirmishes that you can’t afford to lose involving Smeagol. The sites seem to be a hodge-podge of cards thrown together, but my are you wrong! Depending on where you are on the adventure path, Safe Passage can remove twilight from whatever region you are in (ex. forest, plains, river).

Shadow:

Minions
Gollum, Dark as Darkness x4
Shelob, Last Child of Ungoliant x4

Conditions
Evil Smelling Fens x3
Hidden Even from Her x3
Final Strike
Plotting x3

Events
Master Broke His Promise x4
We Must Have It x4
Captured by the Ring
You’re a Liar and a Thief x4

Overall Strategy w/ Shadow: Numba one: Get Gollum in play! It is that simple! Once you get that little booger in play, the fun starts. Playing Master Broke His Promise once or twice during a game can really take its toll on your opponent. We Must Have It and Captured by the Ring put Gollum into/back in play. You’re a Liar and a Thief allows you to wound a companion of your choice (excluding the ringbearer) if you win a skirmish. I liked the idea of playing Master Broke His Promise and Plotting in the same turn. Plotting allows you to place up to nine threats at the beginning of the Shadow phase and remove them at the start of the regroup phase. Master Broke His Promise lets you wound every companion and make the move limit -1 if you exert Gollum three times in the regroup phase. I won a game by simply employing this tactic.

Wrap up:
I hope that this deck helps you out and adds some zest to your next game!
"What! a furrier, a man that calls rabbits conies, when he doesn't turn their skins into squirrels?"
-Bilbo Baggins on Beorn
Excerpt from "The Hobbit"
sickleofvalar
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:52 am
What do you all think about this deck? I know that it needs some tweaking.
"What! a furrier, a man that calls rabbits conies, when he doesn't turn their skins into squirrels?"
-Bilbo Baggins on Beorn
Pipsqueak
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:08 pm
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 Posts: 331 Location: A northerner down south
Good Stuff, overall. But then again, i’m not an expert on solo Smeagol.
Anyway, keep it up...

P.S. join my DC tournament Very Happy
Long live the southern bros. Homage
sickleofvalar
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:19 pm
What is that and where is it? (DC tournament thing) Smile
-Bilbo Baggins on Beorn
Hazael
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:20 pm
http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=556
Some of the best scenarios on EE...
Up All Night Productions
sickleofvalar
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:25 pm
awesome, thanks
-Bilbo Baggins on Beorn
sickleofvalar
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:48 pm
Is there anything that anybody would change in this deck? I want to improve. Very Happy
-Bilbo Baggins on Beorn
Cobra
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:31 pm
I’d be interested in seeing what this deck could do if you really focused on pulling off Master Broke His Promise. For example...

- You can’t have Gollum, Dark as Darkness exerting himself and still play MBHP, so try Gollum, Vile Creature instead. (Works nicely with Plotting!)

- You don’t want Gollum to be fierce -- you need him to stay unwounded until the regroup phase, and winning one skirmish can be hard enough. Try replacing Hidden Even From Her with more pumps, maybe permanent ones like Slippery as Fishes or Chasm’s Edge.

- Shelob, Her Ladyship is a must. Cool
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:54 pm
My brother has a Solo Smeagol / Gollum deck. He uses Incited to take back the Free Peoples cards he needs. It’s annoying, because it’s so powerful. Smile
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
sickleofvalar
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:00 pm
Thanks, I’ll try that! Very Happy
-Bilbo Baggins on Beorn

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats