LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:25 pm
NappyKorn wrote:
....So if you replace ’turn’ with ’archery phase’ then it reads the same so you can only do it once.

The rulebook isn’t saying you can only perform one "at the start of..." action per phase, it’s saying you can’t perform it multiple times using the same card. Perhaps it’d have been clearer if it’d said "Each card can perform this type of action only once per phase," but that’s the way we understand it to mean.

Quote:
There is only one start of each phase/turn. Once a action is taken for that turn or phase the start of it is over.

Heh, I know what it sounds like; for more timing funkiness all you need to do is look at the Promise Keeping/threats business. How can threats trigger Promise Keeping if it shouldn’t be during a skirmish because you’ve already won the skirmish and all that; well, the way things work out aren’t always intuitive. Wink
Last edited by Elessar's Socks on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
macheteman
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:28 pm
thanks guys. gp bib, and it shall be my pleasure to inform AP of this. Laughing
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:31 pm
I already know. But I disagree.

Once it is performed once, the "start of the archery phase" is over. It doesn’t start again. The start is already past. Hence, it can only be used once.
I had to put something here.
bibfortuna25
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:35 pm
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:

Once it is performed once, the "start of the archery phase" is over. It doesn’t start again. The start is already past. Hence, it can only be used once.

You can disagree all you want, but the rules are the rules. Each Howdah may be used once.

If things were done the way you think, then only one follower could be used each maneuver phase. That clearly isn’t the case, so this means each Howdah can be used.

When a phase starts, each player has a chance to perform as many "at the start of" actions he wants, starting with the FP player and alternating with the Shadow. Once both players pass, then you move on to performing regular Archery actions.
All cards do what they say.
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:25 am
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:

Try using the official software with Decipher’s rules built in and you get to use more than one. Point proven.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Celebrimbor
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:07 pm
I at a tournament had a problem with this "start of phase".

the other guy would use Legolas, woodland emissary to exhaust every one of my minions, and he got away with it. Mad

Each start of phase action for each card can only be used once during that phase.

So, if you have multiple howdahs each have one token, you can use each card, but only once each. Smile
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:23 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:

This is a rule "borrowed" from MtG, so it’s far easier to explain in its terms. Think of it as a "triggered" ability, one that happens whenever the trigger takes place. In this case, each Howdah has a trigger at the start of the archery phase, so when the archery phase starts, what happens? Each Howda will "trigger", allowing you to perform the action. EACH ONE OF THEM. So, AFTER this trigger and any other that triggered at the same point "resolves", the game continues. By the same token, if I have a Gandalf, the Grey Pilgrim 4 copies of Blade Tip spread among my companions, I can simply choose to draw my card and then no Blade Tips will trigger, since "the starting of the phase has already passed?" It’s ridiculous. And btw, if you KNEW it worked this way but still made someone play the wrong way "because you disagree", it’s even worse. Hope you learned it AFTER the game.
I don't like YOU.
macheteman
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:44 pm
yeah, i believe he was saying "i already know" in response to when i said "it shall be my pleasure to inform AP of this."

i have enough faith in AP to believe that he didn’t know while we were playing.

but from now on, we’ll be playing with all the howda’s triggering.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
NappyKorn
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:17 pm
Ok, assuming noone else has admitted it yet, I’ll be the first to admit that my train of thought was wrong. Thanks for clearing this up. To the people that have posted here about all being able to play your points have made more sense to me than mine. So if i have 2 seperate cards that have at the start of a certain phase on them can they both be played or since you are taking 2 seperate actions you have to choose one?

BTW, I thing I just found a good expamle for the ones that may still not believe that mm was correct:

Take this card for instance: Grieving the Fallen, it reads:

strength -1
To Play spot a Men minion
Bearer must be a companion except the ring-bearer.
Bearer can not take wounds during the archery phase.
At the start of the regroup phase discard this condition.

If you play 4 of these (since they are not unique) with me and AP’s thinking we would only have to discard 1 of them at the start of the regroup phase. But at the start of the regroup phase you indeed have to discard EACH one of them, for it’s own text. So not thinking of them as one action at a time they are discarded as a whole as soon as the regroup phase starts. My apologizes to everyone for my wrong advice about Howdah.

NK
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:48 pm
macheteman wrote:
i have enough faith in AP to believe that he didn’t know while we were playing.

I did not know while we were playing. As a matter of fact, I had been using my own Howdahs only once per phase for a long time under my false interpretation of the ruling. I wonder how many games I tossed because of those extra wounds that I could have given out but didn’t... d'oh!

Thanks for the clarification, guys. Thumbs Up It is much appreciated. Very Happy
I had to put something here.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions