LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
100%
  [ 1 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 1
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:02 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
Let’s see how some of the new cards might impact the field, shall we?
--- end description ---

Ok, now that Lorwyn is out and we even had a large T2 tournament including it, it’s about time to sit down and discuss some of the cards and their impact in constructed. Now, in order not to bore you, and since we don’t have our trusty database anymore, I’ll just discuss them in alphabetic order, like their appear in the Official Spoiler, and you can follow through here, so let’s just start right away, shall we?

Adder-Staff Boggart - Has not seen a lot of play yet, but I think he may be underrated. He’s reasonably costed, and even though one might say Goblins do not cost that much mana, so you’re not likely to win the clash, well, most aggros have a low curve, so you CAN still win every now and then, but the most important part is smoothing yor draw. Also, against control, you have a bigger chance of winning, because even thought they play some costly spells, they usually are very heavy on lands, so there’s a large chance they’ll hit one.
Ajani Goldmane - Terrific guy. Makes for a very viable support card in 3-colored decks if you can cope with the double-white mana cost, since you’ll most likely lose quite a chunk of life to painlands, but is still good in even mono-colored aggro decks, since the swing he provides the moment he hits the table is pretty hefty, growing all your creatures at once AND giving them vigilance. He’s also good with the man lands, since you can activate them, use Ajani’s ability, and even after they become lands again, the +1/+1 counter will still be on them, so if they are turned into creatures again, the bonus will add up.
Ashling the Pilgrim - I’ve seen a lot of players running this guy in aggro decks "because he just gets so big". Well, I do not like him that much, he’s more of a control-ish creature than an aggro one, because he hogs your mana for growing him, and his ability will most likely blow up your own creatures anyway. He could fit in mono-re Snow Control, though, as perhaps redundant copies of Martyr of Ashes.
Ashling’s Prerogative - Now this is a card just waiting to be broken, it has SO much potential! Specially since you can use Smokebraiders to pull off all sorts of shennanigans, like pumping out faster Nova Chasers, etc. However, it hasn’t been broken yet, so, feel free to share ideas on how to do it. Notice, that it can also be used in decks that have nothing to do at all with elementals, like even a control deck, hosing down certain aggros with lower curves, like kithkins.
Austere Command - Ever seen Akroma’s Vengeance? Yeah, this one sucks. Could be good for block play, but sinceit apperas that Lorwyn/Morningtide will never see block play in bigger events, kind of a moot point.
Boggart Forager - Now that a lot of players have been rediscovering Jotun Grunt as a cheap alternative against Tarmogoyf, and since fetchlands are not part of Standard, this guy MIGHT be a viable alternative to get better mileage out of the Grunts, by shuffling your library to allow you to re-draw the cards you’ve put on the bottom of it. However, this puts you in two specific colors, at least, so, I think it’s just plain better to play a set of Flagstones of Trokair.
Brion Stoutarm - On the other hand, if you DO want to play RW, this is your guy. He’s big, reasonable costed, has lifelink AND, better yet, can hurl your Calciderms at your opponent in response to removing their last vanishing counter, getting extra mileage out of them AND a 5-point life swing.
Broken Ambitions - I sincerely expected this card to see quite more play. Right now, I think it’s better than Rune Snag for the aggro match up, since Rune Snag might not be enough to counter that topdecked Tarmogoyf when they have 6 lands out, but Brkoen Ambitions most always will be, due to the very nature of control decks, which is being mana-heavy. Also, for the control-on-control matchup, I like Delay better than Rune Snag, which they can just pay for. Clashing is just icing on the cake, to dig one further down a not-needed-anymnore land, and if you actually wins the clash, better yet, you’ve just gotten rid of 4 more cads from them, talk about card advantage!
Cenn’s Heir - REALLY good in a dedicaed Kithkin deck. Problem is, dedicated Kithkin decks are not very good, although they sure as heel SEEM to be, so, I’d rate Kithkin as the most deceitful tribe at first glance. However, they suck in Limited, and are underpowered in constructed, I’d much rather run a straight "good-stuff" aggro them running them, although they make for a fine budget aggro deck.
Chandra Nalaar - Who would’ve guessed, the worst Planeswalker IMO, and actually saw more play than Ajani at States! Do not get me wrong, Chandra is a MAJOR bomb in Limited, perhaps the BEST Planeswalker in the format if you can hold the ground long enough for her to go off, but she’s just too slow in Constructed. However, in a format no one uses armies of flying creatures, and burn is played in far less amount, she found a home in Snow Control, where she’s protected by the ultimate hoser, Stuffy Doll.
Changeling Berserker - I can see this guy being good, specially in RB aggro. If you can champion a Siege-Gang Commander, even better, but even Mogg War Marshal will do just fine, as will Shriekmaw. But champion CAN be a tricky ability, so refrain from playing a full set of them.
Changeling Titan - This guy is another one of those deceitful creatures. See, he’s a bomb in limited, highly splashable, and incredibly big, not to mention tutorable by any of the Harbingers you might get your hands on. However, in constructed, sheer power will not be enough. See, Greater Gargadon costs 1 mana, and hoses spells like Tendrils of Corruption, highly prejudicial for aggro decks. Tarmogoyf costs only 2. Calciderm costs 4, beats for 5 and can’t be targeted. See, this guy simple won’t do, because I’d rather spend 4 mana for a 5/5 that can’t be kiled by nothing short of Wrath of God or Damnation, than having to spend 5 mana AND taking a creature off the board to get a guy who’ll de dead as soon as Shriekmaw hits the table (and he WILL hit the table). Do no get me wrong, the champion ability CAN play an important role in an aggro deck against Wrath effects, but this is just not the case.
Cloudgoat Ranger - This guy has been overlooked by quite a good amount of people. He’s simply Siege-Gang Commander for white! Not to mention with more power, and that with a single Wizened Cenn or Glorious Anthem out, you’ll be spending 5 mana for 9-10 power worth of creatures!
Cloudthresher - I thought this creature was amazing when I first saw it, providing a much-needed answer agianst faerie decks AND a solid beater! Since a deck playing him actually made Top 8 of a very large tournament, I guess it just proves my point. He’s not that one creature that’ll outright win you the game, so you should not pack 4 of him, most of the time 2 will do, but when you have an aggro deck that can pump out threats this big out of the blue, if CAN spell trouble. Might be nice alongside Bogardan Hellkite and Akroma, Angel of Fury in a dedicated Radha, Heir to Keld deck, making the most of her mana-adding ability.
Crib Swap - I’ve been hearding a lot of hype about this card. However, outside the Haakon combo, I like Oblivion Ring better ten times over. If you need removal, you need to REMOVE the creature out of your way, not to shrink it.
Cryptic Command - Color-heavy (but so is Teferi, and most blue decks are playing him anyway, so they can cope with the cost), but INCREDIBLY versatile, not to mention the "fog" effect can set up a nice Pickles lock faster. However, I like the Pickles deck to be a little more focused on the combo, and I think Momentary Blink can play a major role in the deck, speeding up the clock to the lock. If you check Paul Cheon’s winning list from GP Krakow, I think he should’ve played less lands, Broekn Ambitions over Rune Snag, some Delay and Momentary Blink. But then again, he DID win, so, who cares, right? But of course, decks WILL be prepared for his build now, so improvements are needed.
Deathrender - I’ve seen some combo builds revolving around Enduring Renewal, Mogg Fanatic and Deathrender. However, I think the combo matters more in Extended, where you also have access to Wild Cantor, and can therefore get infinite mana as well. I think a heavy disruption deck featuring this combo can find a really good place in Extended if well built.
Doran, the Siege Tower - This card got a lot of hype, than a lot of hate. However, if played correctly in a deck made to properly abuse him, Doran is a HUGE threat on the board! Most problems I’ve seen for people building around him is that they focus TOO MUCH on him, playing Treefolk Harbinger and such stuff, which quite frankly sucks. I’ll show a decklist I’ve been using, based on him, later for your appreciation.
Elvish Harbinger - This is the one Harbinger I think is worth of notice, since it fixes your mana, and in a well made aggro deck, gives you really good game against both aggro and control with a single combo. Play any one-mana accelerator, pump him ouy on turn 2, and go get Wren’s Run Packmaster. Then, next turn, play the Packmaster, championing the Harbinger. There. Now you can just sculpt yourhand while making deathtouched Wolf Tokens with the Packmaster at instant speed, giving control a headache (you’ll still have a full grip of monsters after the warth the board) and aggro a nightmare. Also, if they DO wrath away the board, guess who comes into play again? Elvish Harbinger! Get another Packmaster, lather, rinse, repeat. I lot of people complained that this is a weak combo and such, but it’s as good as it gets for budget players, and I do not think it’s THAT weak, after all, deathtouch plays an important role in a lot of matchups, just see how much play Ohran Viper is seeing now!
Eyeblight’s Ending - Good enough it you want to pack Gilt-Leaf Palace, as it increases your chance to get it untapped, and also a nice piece of removal since it can get rid of black and/or artifact creatures, which terror can’t deal with. However, outside of using the land, I just like Nameless Inversion better.
Eyes of the Wisent - Good enough in monogreen and GW against control, but that’s mainly it. Other builds have access to burn spells and/or dirsuption, so you won’t need this enchantment’s effect, nor will you get much use out of it anyway, since they simply won’t let IT resolve, or bounce it to your hand later before it can do enough harm.
Faerie Trickery - This is one of those cards that just get better and better depending on the format. Because as you leave Lorwyn Block to a larger pool, the number of playable faeries is drastically reduced, making this yet another Cancel. However, I’ve seen this being used in the sideboard, to come in against control, where I think Delay wood be a better deal.
Familiar’s Ruse - I’m still expecting to see this one in a deck, but have failed to do so so far. But this card IS good, and the drawback most likely won’t be one, since you’ll usually get back stuff like Mulldrifter, Spellstutter Faerie, etc.
Flamekin Bladewhirl - Might seem nice, but it’s not. Savannah Lions didn’t require a whole deck built around using it properly, this guy does. However, if you ARE playing Elementals, a solid one-drop.
Forced Fruition - And yet another combo card waiting to be broken. Let’s see what will come out fo it, so far, I can see nothing except playng, in order, Wrath, Jace + Boomerang if they threw a creature out, Forced Fruition. They’ll have to deal with Jace or they’ll get decked, and to do so, they’ll get decked. It’s a win win situation, but hard to pull off.
Gaddock Teeg - This is the one preview that rose the most fuss in WotC. Yeah, he’s THAT powerful, and he can disrupt the foundations all the way to Vintage and Legacy play, but keep in mind he’s part-green, which is a pretty weak color on those formats, making him hard to splash. Also, he’s legendary, unlike good’ol Pikula, but who played more than one Meddling Mage at a time anyway, right? Also, since Kithkin have been proved to no be so good as everyone thought they’d be, he’s quickly losing value, although I think we can still find a place for him in aggro decks, even out of the kithkin theme.
Garruk Wildspeaker - One of the best Planeswalkers, and THE best one IMO. His "ultimate" effect is good to go one turn after he hits the board, nad it’s devastating. Otherwise, making 3/3 creatures for free is nothing to sneeze at, either, not to mention Planeswalkers usually draw fire onto them, leaving YOU alone for a much needed time, to craft an offensive and go all in.
Goldmeadow Stalwart - Same as Flamekin Bladewhirl.
Guile - Now, Guile is another deceitful guy. Everyone just blabs about how powerful his ability is, and all, but they expect that he’s the very definition of a win-more card. If you’re beating with a nearly-unstoppable 6/6 anyway, who cares if you can turn spells against their owners? His mana cost might seem heavy, but since you’re already packing Cryptic Command and Teferi, he fits just nicely along in the curve, don’t he? He also provides blue with its much needed finisher, FINALLY making monoblue control a possibility, even without the Pickles lock. But if you DO want to play the Pickles lock, did I mention he’s NOT legendary, so he can be copied by Vesuvan Shapeshifter?
Hoofprints of the Stag - Another card that caused quite a hype, and spawned life-gaining decks all over the place featuring Rites of Flourishing and Howling Mine, so speed up the procces. Now, it’s a valid idea, but PLEASE lose the green and pack blue, Jace is SO much better in the archetype!
Imperious Perfect - Well, this is as good as it gets for a Lord, specially since he can be the ONLY elf in you whole deck, and he’ll STILL be THAT good. This guy is the main reason elves have seen so much play. That, of cours,e and the fact that elves are now BG, having access to decent removal.
Inner-Flame Acolyte - This is another guy I think has ben underrated. Who cares if you’re not playing elementals? It’s a 4/2 haste creature for 3! Giant Soli-what? Sure, he then proceeds to being just a random 2/2 dork, but hes still good enough to feature in a new Red Deck Wins of sorts.
Jace Beleren - Second-best Planeswalker, by a close call. He fits well in control, in aggro control, in combo, well you name it. Problem is, if everyone plays him, it’s hard to get him online due to the Planeswalkers rules, so that’s why we’re seeing him mostly on the sideboards.
Jagged-Scar Archers - Ignore his ability out of limited, you probably won’t use it. Then again, this guy gets HUGE really fast, I mean, it’s not hard to play him with, say, already 2-3 elves out, making him a possible 3-mana 4/4 ON A CLOCK. Given time, he gets even bigger. Great to follow Imperious Perfect, specially if you dropped another land, since hell benefit from both the bonus, and the token-making ability now online, making him able to hit for 4-7 out of nowhere the following turn.
Knight of Meadowgrain - Ingore the fact he’s a kithkin. Yep, still good enough, so, fit him in that weenie deck of yours, you won’t regret it.
Knucklebone Witch - Ok, this is one evil witch, and I’m frankly surprised Goblins haven’t seen more play, between this one, Wort, Boggart Auntie and Tarfire/Nameless inversion, quite a dreaded combo!
Lash Out - Another card that’s have been overlooked in my opinion. I’m starting to like this card more and more as I play with it, almost better than Incinerate already.
Liliana Vess - Very nice Planeswalker. Due to her mana cost, you’ll most likely only get to use properly her second ability, but then again, it’s one heck of a powerful ability. I’ve seen RB aggro decks running a few copiesof her to get that much needed Siege-Gang Commander for an Aafter-wrath board, and then another one to leave you with a nice grip of cards when the next wrath comes, and then simply start to peck away at the opponent’s hands. Pretty good to play with, very terrifying to play against.
Makeshift Mannequin - Now, I’m only listing this card BECAUSE it posted so well on tournaments. I admit it, when I first looked at it, I dismissed it as not being good. And why? Because it was at a Pre-Release, a Limited tournament. Now, due to the unpowered nature of the format, card advantage is always sought after, in any form possible, and repeatable effects are one of those forms. So, in a format where you see Amoeboid Changeling seeing play, how good can this be, really? But then again, it depends on what you want to return, and why, for instance, returning Shriekmaw is good enough anyway. Then I missed the most important part for it in constructed: it’s an INSTANT! Instant-speed reanimation! THAT’S what makes it so good. You get aggro totally off balance by wrecking their well-thought attack, and you make control tap out to stop you, leaving them vulnerable. That’s why card evaluation is a har process, and one of constant learning.
Masked Admirers - Is starting to see some play, and I can risk saying it’ll be seeing A LOT of it in Worlds. Reasonable size, with nearly-unlimited card-advantage imbued? I’m in!
Militia’s Pride - Another hyped card, quickly losing power due to the downfall of the kithkin archetype. Too bad. However, it’s still a nice trick even in non-kithkin decks, after all, it counts non-token creatures, not non-token KITHKIN creatures, so it’s good games! However, since it puts the creatures attacking, out of a kithkin deck they’ll just be random 1/1 dorks that’ll die anyway, so I’d use it at the most as a sideboard option against heavy control, to not have to spend resources. And vene though, I like the Packmaster better.
Mirror Entity - This guy is so powerful I can’t really describe it. However, he’s mana hungry as can be, which may downside him enough not to see play as he should, but being a changeling, I expect most tribes to use a few copies of him, at least. Outright wins a game in Limited, also.
Mistbind Clique - I’m expecting a combo deck to arise soon, the formatis lacking one. And when it DOES arise, if it can sponsor blue, it’ll most likely use this card, even without other faeries out. Remember Gigadrowse? Well, try "cheaper" Gigadrowse, uncounterable by all those Faerie Trickery control players are all happily boarding in all the time? Paul Cheon forgot the Trickery drawback in the finals, and it almost cost him the game, but he had another counter. Now imagine how many average players will forget about it, keeping it in their hand to try and stop your combo, just to be twarthed out of nowhere? Oh, did I mention this guy’s HUGE for his cost? Even UG aggro can benefit from him, with Scryb Ranger and Spellstutter Sprite as well.
Mulldrifter - One of the best commons in Lorwyn, I didn’t expect it to see play out of limited, thought he was to expensive, and here he is again! Hey, if he’s good enough tomake into the Ruel brothers decks, who am I to complain about him, right?
Nameless Inversion - One of the best cards in limited (tutorable for by any Harbinger), and a massive card in Constructed. Makes for a nasty combo with Haakon, but even without Haakon, it takes out most annoying black creatures you may face, which Terror doesn’t, making it a very good option! Also, grows a Tarmogoyf up in no time!
Nova Chaser - If you CAN get to use him, he’s a bomb. But be careful, it’ll be much harder than you think. Your best shot at it is using him with Incandescent Soulstoke’s ability, since it gives him Haste and a nice butt cushion against Tarfire, at least.
Oblivion Ring - Now THIS is, IMO, the best common in the set. It’s splashable, it’s versatile, and it’s cheap. That Garruk seems dangerous and you can’t get past the army of dorks to get to him? No problem. Hoofprints of the Stag is almost online and you don’t know what to do? Take it out. That Doran seems dangerous and Terror won’t do squat? Done. This card made all the way to win a tournament featuring more than 800 players, so it can’t be bad after all, can it? And Cheon was never unhappy to draw it, either.
Oona’s Prowler - One of the best aggro creatures available in the set. Beats fast, or disrupts your opponent, not to mention being a discad outlet, so she fits in Haakon decks, Madness decks, Goyf decks, Reanimation decks, Dredge decks, well you name it! I expect this card to skyrocket in price even PAST Gaddock Teeg in a short while. So far, it’s already harder to find, so it’s just a matter of time before the price rises. It’s no Tarmogoyf, of course, but sure helps one! Wish I had a playset... If you can get it, guys, DO IT. You won’t regret it.
Ponder - A lot of people hyped about this being control’s new one-drop. I said Ancestral Vision was far better than it. Guess who was right, after all? However, I like Ponder in Growth decks, UG aggro featuring spells like Psionic Blast, some cheap counters, and of course que MVP, Quirion Dryad! Although even though I’d still pack both it AND Ancestral Vision anyway, since the Vision will give you plenty of gas AND be played after Dryad is on the board, growing her as well.
Profane Command - The second-best command IMO, another card I expect to rise in value quickly, so pick any you can now. Versatile and strong, even the fear-granting ability can come in handy every now and then, to force the last points of damage (not to mention you can force it with the first part as well, making it a REALLY game-swinging spell, allowing for a 10-14 life swing with a clogged board EASILY).
Rings of Brighthearth - Have been getting a lot of hype, doubling Planeswalkers abilities and stuff, but I think it’s just too slow to actually matter. However, I have a few copies, so I truly expect to be proven wrong, so they rise in value!
Shriekmaw - The best uncommon in the set. Already largely played, will only get harder and harder to find, so grab yours right away! He’s good in monoblack, being cheap removal early on and removal PLUS a solid beater later. He’s good in UB, since you can bounce him to your hand to use again even in response to the Evoke sacrifice effect. He’s good in RB, since you can sac him to Gargadon or Nantuko Husk before evoke kills him, he’s good in BW where you can Momentary Blink him, nuking TWO creatures AND getting to kep him on the table even if he was evoked before being blinked, and you can pull simillar tricks with Saffi Eriksdotter. REALLY good card. However, people are just swapping Terror for him without further thought, and this can be dangerous, since he’s sorcery speed removal, and it won’t do squat against a Fatal Frenzy-ed Gargadon or Nova Chaser with haste. I play him, but I still have my Slaughter Pacts main, and the maws on the SB.
Sower of Temptation - Amazing creature for both control and UG aggro-control. Not to mention he comboes nicely with Vesuvan Shapeshifter, letting you steal a countless number of creatures!
Tarfire - Not as good as Nameless Inversion, but still good in every same way. Suits RG Greater Goyf well.
Thorn of Amethyst - A nice piece against control, although I’m not sure it’s worth playing. May impact Extended, and even the Eternal formats, but in Standard, is less than optimal IMO.
Thoughtseize - Amazing in Standard, and MAY be good in Extended and the eternal formats, but IMO it’ sbeen getting more hype that it deseves. In most of those formats, nabbing spells is more important than nabbing creatures anyway, so Duress is a painless version of it, and Cabal Therapy complements nicely, since it can nab multiple copies of one spell. But Thoughtseize might see some Standard play, mostly in monoblack and BG, although I’m currently running it in my Doran deck, but it may get cut since it hurts so much. This is a card I expect to DECREASE in value, alongside Gaddock Teeg.
Wort, Boggart Auntie - VERY nice Goblin to thrown into the RB build, since recurring multiple Nameless Inversion and/or Tarfire is just what Goblins need. Will probably see some play even in Extended, getting back Ringleaders and Piledrivers WHILE beating for 3, although Boggart Birth Rites MAY be played over it, but I sincerely doubt it. The whole point of Goblins is to beatdown, so better have a 3/3 body alongside the effect, right?
Wren’s Run Packmaster - Already discussed.
Wren’s Run Vanquisher - Like Flamekin Bladewhirl, although this one is actually worth playing. Large body, neat ability, and between Llanowar Elves, more copies of him and changelings coming out of the wazoo, he’s good to go.

Well, this is it for cards, for now, I hope to see some discussion, some arguments, some ANYTHING to motivate me to keep on writing, and post some decklists later. Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:45 pm
Don’t have time to read the entire thing, but I would like to point out one thing. Crib Swap can also target your creatures, and there HAS to be SOME way to take advantage of this. Changeling can be pretty handy.

Crib Swap may not be that powerful, but it looks like more of a fun card. And I would love to use it for the fun element more than competitiveness.

Also, Nova Chaser fits PERFECTLY in a Lorwyn Elemental deck. Look at all the 1-drops you run! And then he has trample anyway, you he swings pretty fast. I’m really liking a mono-red elemental deck, it looks like it has a lot of promise.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:04 pm
Crib Swamp CAN work in you advantage. They are about to destroy one of your creatures, you can Crib Swap it in response, getting a 1/1 out of the deal. This trick is widely used with Pongify, since it nabs you a rather large creature (c’mon, 3/3 for 1 mana in BLUE?). However, why spend a spell to get a lousy 1/1 when you can save it and take out THEIR Akroma, Angel fo Wrath anyway? Of course, in Haakon combo decks it works just fine, unless you want the creature to hit the graveyard (and you usually do, and Crib Swap removes then from the game instead) to use Grim Harvest and/or Profane Command. But Crib Swap is far from "just a fun card", it’s a fairly GOOD card, one that you’ll never be sad playing in your deck, specially in Limited.
Nova Chaser is good, problem is, he dies too fast, so either you give him haste, or you play him at instant speed, or you figure out a way to protect it, or heck, use Pandemonium, otherwise, he simply won’t connect. White can take him out with Oblivion Ring and Wrath of God, or, going down a few knotches, Crib Swap or Condemn. Black cab use Terror, Eyblight’s Ending, Nameless Inversion, Damnation, Slaughter Pact and Shriekmaw. Green will be totally screwed, unless they’re packing Lignify or Utopia Vow, in which case you’ll win anyway, it’s a crappy deck. Oh, sorry, they can also Moonglove Extract him, forgot about that. It’s not the best removal for constructed, but in a color totally lacking it, fits just fine. Red will just Lash Out/Tarfire/Shock/Sudden Shock/Incinerate/Dead//Gone him anyway, or in case of Snow Control, use Martyr of Ashes of Sulfurous Blast. And blue will simply counter it or bounce it, or going down a few levels, Pongify it (which may actually work in your advantage, specially if you championed an Elemental Harbinger). Of course, they won’t ALWAYS have answers to EVERY creature you play, otherwise aggro would never get anywhere, so they usually just handle the most threatening ones, and guess what, a 10/2 trampler IS one of those. Wink
I like Chaser as well, but unless they find another way of abusing it BEFORE they get to use sorcery-speed answers - which reduces their number of ways to deal with it in the first place (Makeshift Mannequin eot is a possibility), he’s not getting you anywhere.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:52 pm
@Nova Chaser Comment: Inner-Flame Acolyte! Evoke it for Red and suddenly you’re swinging for 12! With Dolmen Gate in case a 3/1 dude decides to swing at you. Not to mention a Deathrender to get him in cheap once a 1-drop takes a hit.

Or just use Pandemonium.

I like Oblivion Ring, but I’m still convinced that Crib Swap or Neck Snap would be more appropriate in some situations. Like...against Demystify.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:06 pm
Nobody uses enchantment removal md, but most people have it in their sb. Point is, first game, Oblivion Ring is king. Second game, you could board in Crib Swap and board out Oblivion Ring, leaving them with a whole bunch of dead cards they just sided in to deal with the Rings. But Ring would still be the main deck option. And if you don’t have sb space to take out the Rings for Swaps, even though, they had to take out relevant cards to their strategy just to find an answer to yours, so you’ve slowed them down. And I did a play the other day I LOVED! I had put a Garruk Wildspeaker under Oblivion Ring, and the guy had cast another one and added a counter, for the overrun effect next turn. However, before the attack phase on that same turn, I player Cryptic command, tapping out his creatures (thus preventing his attack) and returning my Ring to my hand. That brought his other Garruk back into play, killing them both. Then I untapped, and played Wrath of God, with him KNOWING I still had at least an Oblivion Ring in hand for whatever he could drop. He packed the cards after. Dancing
Now, where exactly would Neck Snap help in this situation? Wink
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:04 pm
Wouldn’t, but there HAS to be SOME situation where it would be better. Like...Demystify.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:59 pm
Echo... Laughing
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:36 pm
Ok, this sections is definitely dead. Think
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:20 pm
Well...what you were looking for with the Mistbind Clique combo, the combo is Momentary Blink. Momentary Blink = tap all lands target player controls.

BTW, mention the potential Boggart Mob has. I’d love to see him championing Mogg War Marshalls, and then if you can get Momentary Blink to work with him, that’s two more tokens, plus Coat of Arms = lotsa big creatures.

Run a multi-color goblin deck!

Oh, and I’m waiting to see Changelings get broken with Coat of Arms.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:23 am
I like championing Siege-Gang Commander better. Razz Boggart Mob simply doesn’t make the cut in Goblin decks, they’re TOO fast to bear with such a 4-drop. ONE, perhaps, could find his way, but I’d play Siege-Gang Commander (even costing 5) over him any day.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest