LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
Is this a good idea? Will you be checking these on a regular basis?

Yes  
100%
  [ 2 ]  100%

No  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 2
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:17 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Ok, guys, time to try and stir up some movement in the Forums. So, I’ll give you 3 questions in each challenge, an easy one, a medium one, and a hard one. Answer the best you can, WITH explanations on your thinking, and then drop by to check the answer and see how you did! Learn some playing skills and have fun!

Question 1 (easy):

elf lvr plays Oona’s Prowler. On his turn, NBarden plays Sower of Temptation, targeting the Oona’s Prowler. The ability resolves, and at end of turn, elf lvr plays Boomerang targeting Oona’s Prowler. What happens?

Question 2 (medium):

Sop plays Martyr of Sands, and sacrifice it right away, showing 6 white cards and jotting down the life gain. However, AP claims that was not a legal play, because he was holding a Sudden Shock he was intending to use on the Martyr. They call you, the judge, to sort off the situation. What do you do?

Question 3 (hard):

M64 controls Arcanis, the Omnipotent. FM plays a copy of Arcanis ofhis own, and controls Thousand-Year Elixir. He claims he can tap Arcanis in response to the legend rule triggering, drawing 3 cards before both Arcanis go to their owners graveyards. Can he?
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:47 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
Ok, guys, time to try and stir up some movement in the Forums. So, I’ll give you 3 questions in each challenge, an easy one, a medium one, and a hard one. Answer the best you can, WITH explanations on your thinking, and then drop by to check the answer and see how you did! Learn some playing skills and have fun!

Question 1 (easy):

elf lvr plays Oona’s Prowler. On his turn, NBarden plays Sower of Temptation, targeting the Oona’s Prowler. The ability resolves, and at end of turn, elf lvr plays Boomerang targeting Oona’s Prowler. What happens?

It goes to EL’s hand.

Question 2 (medium):

Sop plays Martyr of Sands, and sacrifice it right away, showing 6 white cards and jotting down the life gain. However, AP claims that was not a legal play, because he was holding a Sudden Shock he was intending to use on the Martyr. They call you, the judge, to sort off the situation. What do you do?

I believe AP can slap down his sudden shock because you can’t simultaneously activate two abilities, you have to give your opponent a chance to respond. Since the instant has split-second, the stack resolves immediately before SoP can sacrifice. But it doesn’t matter because the Sudden Shock can go on the stack after SoP activates the Martyr’s ability anyway and then it resolves first destroying the creature and thus SoP’s ability does nothing but waste 1 mana. Which is the best way to play it.

Question 3 (hard):

M64 controls Arcanis, the Omnipotent. FM plays a copy of Arcanis ofhis own, and controls Thousand-Year Elixir. He claims he can tap Arcanis in response to the legend rule triggering, drawing 3 cards before both Arcanis go to their owners graveyards. Can he?

Um...I think that the creatures would destroy each other before F_M could tap the card...
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:20 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Hum, ok, I kind of expected a bit more movement here, but well...

Question 1 (easy):

Controller and a owner are two different concepts. A card’s controller is the one who is controlling it in the game, wether because he cast it, wether because he "stole" it with a spell like Control Magic. A card’s owner, on the other hand, is the player who started the game with the card in his legal deck, and that can NEVER change. Also, there’s a rule that says that a player can’t ever take into hand a card from another player (not accounting for rules regarind the UN-territory), so in this example, the card would be returned to it’s OWNER’s hand, which is elf lvr.

Question 2 (medium):

This question is about priority. In order to play a spell, or even a land, a player must have priority. The active player (the one playing his turn) starts with priority, and ALWAYS RETAINS it, until he decides he has no more abilities or spells to use, shipping it to the non-active player, who then retains it until shipping it back, so on, so forth, until both players have nothing else to do. Of course, due to the shortcut rules, this happnes awfully fast, but it happens. So, what happens in the above example is that sop played Martyr of Sands. When it came into play, he still had priority, so he chose to sacrifice it. Now, AP COULD respond to the ability, but it would already be in the stack. Also, notice that sacrificing Martyr of Sands is part of the COST, not of the ability itself, so he could NEVER, in this example, target it with a Sudden Shock, because when sop announces he’s using the ability, he must pay the cost, thus sacrificing the Martyr. Then AP gets priority, the Martyr is not in play anymore. So, in this case, sop WAS correct, and you should, as a judge, explain that to AP, and allow the game to continue, doing nothing else.

Question 3 (hard):

This is another question of priority, but a trickier one. Whenever anything happnes in the game (even playng a land), State-Based Effects are checked. Always. And this happens before anyone receives priority. So, when Arcanis comes into play, SBEs are checked, and see two legendary permanents with the same name in play, at the same time, so they’re both put in their owner’s graveyards. Since this happens before any player gets priority, FM can’t use his Arcanis’ ability before it dies.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion