LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:34 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Link to Challenge 1

Question 1 (easy):

M_H attacks Cobra with Watchwolf and Scorched Rusalka. In response, Cobra casts Lightning Helix, targeting the Watchwolf. M_H responds, activating the Scorched Rusalka’s ability, chosing Watchwolf. What happens, in order? Why?

Question 2 (medium):

NBarden controls 2 Llanowar Elves, 2 Boreal Druids, Elvish Champion and Imperious Perfect. On his turn, sop plays Pyroclasm. After the Pyroclasm Resolves, he plays Needle Drop on Imperious Perfect. In response, NBarden activates it, putting an elf token into play. What’s the power and toughness of each creature, including the token? What happens, in order?

Question 3 (hard):

FM controls Tarmogoyf. In his graveyard, is a Horizon Canopy and a Lucent Limind. He attacks LSG, who controls a tapped Withered Wretch, and has a Gemstone Mine, an Oona’s Prowler and a Terror. In response to the attack, he activates Withered Wretch, removing Lucent Liminid from FM’s graveyard, and then casts Nameless Inversion targetting Tarmogoyf. What happens, in order?
I don't like YOU.
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:06 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
Link to Challenge 1

Question 1 (easy):

M_H attacks Cobra with Watchwolf and Scorched Rusalka. In response, Cobra casts Lightning Helix, targeting the Watchwolf. M_H responds, activating the Scorched Rusalka’s ability, chosing Watchwolf. What happens, in order? Why?

I’m GUESSING this is how it goes: The Rusalka’s ability goes first, since it was put on the stack last. It resolves, and sacrifices Watchwolf to deal the damage. Then, M_H’s Helix goes off the stack, and can deal 3 damage to something.

Which works, unless he has to pick the target as the card goes on the stack, not as it resolves, which is a question I was meaning to ask, anyway.

Quote:
Question 2 (medium):

NBarden controls 2 Llanowar Elves, 2 Boreal Druids, Elvish Champion and Imperious Perfect. On his turn, sop plays Pyroclasm. After the Pyroclasm Resolves, he plays Needle Drop on Imperious Perfect. In response, NBarden activates it, putting an elf token into play. What’s the power and toughness of each creature, including the token? What happens, in order?

Well, Pyroclasm deals 2 damage to each creature, leaving the Llanowars and Druids with 1 toughness apiece. The Champion also takes damage, so it has 1 toughness left. Yada yada, 1 toughness for Perfect. Barden puts the elf into play, then needle drop hits, killing Perfect. Since it’s +1/+1 bonus no longer is in effect, each other creature dies, except for the token.

So Barden has a 1/1 elf token and SoP draws a card from needle drop. Razz

Quote:
Question 3 (hard):

FM controls Tarmogoyf. In his graveyard, is a Horizon Canopy and a Lucent Limind. He attacks LSG, who controls a tapped Withered Wretch, and has a Gemstone Mine, an Oona’s Prowler and a Terror. In response to the attack, he activates Withered Wretch, removing Lucent Liminid from FM’s graveyard, and then casts Nameless Inversion targetting Tarmogoyf. What happens, in order?

Alright. I need to write this down for myself. Razz Goyf has a starting P/T of assumedly 3/4, because there is an Enchantment, a Land, and a Creature in graveyards. I’m assuming you mean the Mine, Prowler, and Terror are in his graveyeard, so thats... a 4/5 for Goyf (because Terror is an instant).

Goyf goes down to 3/4 when the Lucent is removed (theres still a creature, but no enchantment).

Goyf then gets +3/-3 so it becomes a 6/1. Right?

Oh, and once Inversion hits the grave, it turns into a 7/2, since inversion was a Tribal.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:35 am
Just the thing I wanted to see straight after reading the rulebook. Laughing I’ll give it a shot!

Felipe Musco wrote:
Question 1 (easy):

M_H chooses the target of the Rusalka’s ability when he activates it (presumably targeting Cobra). Then the Watchwolf is sacrificed as a cost of the ability. If neither player has new spells/abilities to play, the last one on the stack resolves. The Rusalka’s ability deals 1 damage to the target player. Next Lightning Helix resolves, but since its target (the Watchwolf) is no longer legal, the Helix is countered and Cobra doesn’t gain 3 life.

Quote:
Question 2 (medium):

NBarden starts with all his creatures at 3/3. After Pyroclasm resolves, dealing 2 damage to each creature, each creature is at 3/1.

Imperious Perfect’s ability resolves, putting a 1/1 creature token into play, which immediately becomes 3/3. Then Needle Drop resolves. I *think* SoP draws a card and places Needle Drop in the the graveyard before the Perfect is actually destroyed, because state-based effects are only checked after the Needle Drop’s resolution. Afterward the Perfect’s +1/+1 continuous effect ceases, and NBarden’s remaining non-token creatures are destroyed as a result. The token ends up at 1/1.

Quote:
Question 3 (hard):

While Nameless Inversion is on the stack, Tarmogoyf is at 1/2 (with just one card in all graveyards, of type land). When Inversion resolves the Tarmogoyf is at 4/-1. Then Inversion goes to the graveyard and state-based effects are checked. Inversion counts as an instant and a tribal (but not a creature, even though it has all creature types), and so the Tarmogoyf ends up at 6/1.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:25 am
No one else giving a try?
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:26 pm
1. Stack resolves with M_H’s ability first. The Werewolf gets sacrificed, and the Lightning Helix does nothing.

2. All my creatures, except the 1/1 token, hit 0/0 and are sent to the graveyard.

3. I haven’t a clue.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:31 pm
Spit it out already! Evil or Very Mad

What, do both players lose 6 life, every creature but the token survives, and the Tarmogoyf ends at 10/1? Shame on you

Wink
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:45 pm
Sorry, had a tournament this weekend. Answer will be posted tomorrow night.
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:39 am
Ok, are you craving for some answers? Here they are!

Question 1 (easy):

Ok, the stack looks like this:
- Scorched Rusalka’s ability
- Lightning Helix

So, Scorched Rusalka will deal 1 damage to Cobra, since Watchwolf was sacrificed (and it was sacrificed as a part of the cost, so it wasn’t in play anymore when the ability went on the stack). Lightning Helix has no legal target upon resolution (targets are checked upon casting and upon resolution), so it’s countered. Cobra gains no life. Scorched Rusalka is still attacking, and we move into the Declare Blockers step.

Question 2 (medium):

NBarden’s table is as follows:
3/3 Llanowar Elves, 3/3 Llanowar Elves, 3/3 Boreal Druid, 3/3 Boreal Druid, 3/3 Elvish Champion (only gets the bonus from the Perfect), 3/3 Imperious Perfect (only gets the bonus from the Champion). After the Pyroclasm resolved, all of NBarden’s creatures had 2 damage on them (their toughness is NEVER lowered by damage). When Needle Drop was played and responded, the stack looked like this:

-Imperious Perfect’s ability
-Needle Drop

So, upon resolution, a 3/3 elf token will come into play. Then, Needle Drop resolves, dealing 1 damage to Imperious Perfect, who now has lethal damage on it. sop draws a card from Needle Drop. Then, State-Based Effects are checked, and the game sees a creature with lethal damage on it, so Imperious Perfect is destroyed, and is then put into its owner’s graveyard. Since it’s no longer in play, every elf in play now is 2/2 (only benefiting from the Elvish Champion’s bonus, except himself, which is already a 2/2). State-Based Effects are checked again, and the game sees every single creature (except the token, which wasn’t in play when the Pyroclasm resolved, therefore suffering no damage from it) with lethal damage on them, so they are all destroyed as well, and put in their owner’s graveyard. So, after the dust clears, sop is down a card (played 2, drew 1), NBarden has a 1/1 green elf creature token, and is down 6 cards. Sweet deal, huh?

Question 3 (hard):

FM controls Tarmogoyf. In his graveyard, is a Horizon Canopy and a Lucent Limind. He attacks LSG, who controls a tapped Withered Wretch, and has a Gemstone Mine, an Oona’s Prowler and a Terror. In response to the attack, he activates Withered Wretch, removing Lucent Liminid from FM’s graveyard, and then casts Nameless Inversion targetting Tarmogoyf. What happens, in order?[/quote]

Tarmogoyf starts at 4/5 (enchantment, land, creature and instant). Then, Withered Wretch makes it 3/4, and Nameless Inversion makes it 6/1. Ouch, huh? But wait, there’s more! When Nameless Inversion resolves, it goes to the graveyard, so now there’s a Tribal card as well, so Goyf goes up to 7/2! Who needs Blistering Firecat, anyway
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:40 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
Sweet deal, huh?

Not exactly...I like Llanowar Elves. Crying or Very sad

Well...shows me for not using Birds of Paradise.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:00 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
their toughness is NEVER lowered by damage

Ouch, ’tis a case where convenience in writing is utterly mistaken rule-wise. I stand crestfallen and corrected.

Quote:
Tarmogoyf starts at 4/5 (enchantment, land, creature and instant).

Hardest part of this question was deciding whether the Prowler et al. were in the graveyard or not. Laughing Surely, I thought, having the Tarmogoyf at death’s door would be most clever and worthy of this honor? Nay, said he, for why else would I have listed those cards? Conclusion: ah, poop.

Let’s have another round!

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion