LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Dream Cards
NBarden
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:44 am
Well...I wanted to make an MtG set, but I’m not sure what to call it. I have some ideas on what I want to do...so here goes.

Lands first.

Archipelago
Land- Island
Archipelago comes into play tapped.
When you play Archipelago, you may put the top card of target player’s library into his or her graveyard.

Volcano
Land- Mountain
Volcano comes into play tapped.
When Volcano comes into play, you may deal 1 damage to target creature or player.

Marsh
Land- Swamp
Marsh comes into play tapped.
When you play Marsh, you may make target creature -1/-1 until the end of the turn.

Woodland
Land- Forest
Woodland comes into play tapped.
When you play Woodland, you may return a basic land card from your graveyard to your hand.

Prairie
Land- Plains
Prairie comes into play tapped.
When you play Prairie, gain 2 life.

I was surprised that none of those titles were taken.

Anyone have an idea for a title?

Anyway, more lands next.
Last edited by NBarden on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:07 pm; edited 3 times in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:04 pm
Landslide. Laughing (Just kidding, I’d need to know more about the storyline behind the sets)

Are these in the C/U slots? I’ve not been a fan of lands that come into play tapped, except possibly the ones that add two mana of different colors. Seem to slow down my decks more often than not.

Of the ones you listed I like Woodland the best, primarily because it can tutor non-basic lands. Filtering out a land by itself isn’t bad, either. But if you wanted to bring it down to the level of the others, I’d limit it to basic lands.

Prairie I think it the weakest of the lot, with life gain losing out to the Volcano’s damage. Although Volcano might set back burn decks; they can take the extra mana that turn and cast Flame Rift or something.

I’m not sold on Archipelago, either. For control decks, wouldn’t it be better to leave mana open, and draw cards with the instant speed of Serum Visions or Brainstorm (which do additional things as well) when it’s safe?

Which leaves Marsh, my second favorite. Nice targeted destruction.

More lands!
Last edited by Elessar's Socks on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
NBarden
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:11 pm
I’m not sure I’ll do rarity...

I have another idea for lands. And since I’m not really going to get any reviews around here, I might as well post the other few lands. Here they are.

Bermuda Triangle
Land
Bermuda Triangle comes into play tapped.
When Bermuda Triangle comes into play, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice two other lands.
Tap: Add (2) to your mana pool.
Tap, pay 1 life: Add BlueBlackRed.

Circle of Death
Land
Circle of Death comes into play tapped.
When Circle of Death comes into play, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice two other lands.
Tap: Pay 1 life: Add BlackRedGreen to your mana pool.

Cosmic Triangle
Land
Cosmic Triangle comes into play tapped.
When Cosmic Triangle comes into play, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice two other lands.
Tap: Pay 1 life: Add WhiteBlueBlack to your mana pool.

Circle of Life
Land
Circle of Life comes into play tapped.
When Circle of Life comes into play, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice two other lands
Tap: Pay 1 life: Add WhiteBlueGreen

Crystal Quarry (Reprint)
Land
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool.
(5)Tap: Add WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen to your mana pool.

Like the ideas?

And the point of this set is multicolor everything.

Let’s start with this one...

Mana Rift WhiteWhiteBlueBlueBlackBlackRedRedGreenGreen
Legendary Enchantment
When Mana Rift enters play, target player loses 10 life and you gain 10 life.
At the start of each of your pre-combat main phases, add 2 mana in any color combination to your mana pool.
Evoke- (6)BlueWhite/BlackRed/Green

And this one.

Mana Spill (1)BlueRedBlack/Green
Instant
Counter target spell. Destroy target land.
Last edited by NBarden on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:07 pm; edited 6 times in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:13 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Just a general hint before I come back to do in-depth analysis. Instead of saying "this card" or "this land", refer to the card by the name.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:32 pm
I’m not sure. Let’s say I have 2 Volcanoes out and I play a Volcano. Wouldn’t all three trigger and I could deal 6 damage?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
elf lvr
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:04 pm
NBarden wrote:

Archipelago
Land- Island
This land enters play tapped.
When you play this land, you may draw a card.

Eh, okay. Gives you nice card advantage, since you draw when you play a land...

Quote:
Volcano
Land- Mountain
When you play this land, you may deal 2 damage to target player.

This one might be a bit good. Who cares about shock, I can simply put them in as Lands!

Quote:
Marsh
Land- Swamp
When you play this land, you may make target creature +0/-2 until the end of the turn.

Absolutely slaughters weenie decks. Turn one, they play a creautre. You play a land to kill it. Turn two, creature. Land kills it.

Quote:
Woodland
Land- Forest
When you play this land, you may take a basic land into hand from your graveyard.

Since you specify basic, could be okay to pull one from the deck.

Quote:
Prairie
Land- Plains
When you play this land, gain 2 life.

Eh... okay.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
NBarden
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:27 pm
Any comments on my second batch?
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:34 pm
I think the pay life part also goes behind the colon (e.g. Flooded Strand), so it’d be "Tap, Pay 1 life: ..."

From a purely flavor standpoint, I’d have Bermuda Triangle adding White instead of Red. I think of the sun and the sea foremost (everything’s really, really bright), and of course Black can represent the mysterious disappearances and other uncanny things.

As for how well they stack against other cards (especially Mana Spill), to be honest I was waiting for FM. *LOL* For the lands I’d be concerned about mana burn because adding 3 mana at once could get awkward, but this is neat stuff! I’d give them a shot.

Rainbow looks like a reprint of Crystal Quarry, not sure if that was done on purpose.

Mana Rift looks fun in a sunburst deck (the only 5-color deck I’ve tested, so humor me here). Channel the Suns, and then whack! Yeah, I have a soft spot for multi-colored cards...
NBarden
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:48 pm
Nope. Not intentional. I’m not that familiar with cards in MtG. To many expansions + being a n00b. I’ll just rename it to Crystal Quarry (Reprint). That way, I can use Rainbow for something else.

I was wondering if the Mana Rift evoke was to low. Like...how easy is it to get it in play for its evoke cost? Because I was thinking of making it evoke (10) or evoke (2)WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:44 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
NBarden wrote:
I’m not sure. Let’s say I have 2 Volcanoes out and I play a Volcano. Wouldn’t all three trigger and I could deal 6 damage?

Whenever a card refers to it’s name, it means that very card, it’s in the rules. To trigger all Volcanoes, it’d have to read: "When Volcano comes into play, it deals 2 damage to target player for each card named Volcano in play." Otherwise, always refer to the card’s title. Wink
I’ll be back later to review the cards properly. Very Happy Oh, and check out the open discussion, I’ll have a mini-report there soon!
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Dream Cards