LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Dream Cards
NBarden
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:08 pm
Gotcha. Will change later. Waiting on your review to continue!

And look out for the return of Sunburst!
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
NBarden
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:21 pm
I want at least one more review before moving on.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:10 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
And so you shall have!

NBarden wrote:
Archipelago
Land- Island
Archipelago comes into play tapped.
When you play Archipelago, you may draw a card.

I like the idea behind, having a non-basic land with a basic land type, like the schocklands. However, this land is INSANELY powerful. Not to mention, with stuff like bouncelands, and Fathom Seer (it’s an island, after all), and Crucible of Worlds, etc, this could be VERY abused. Also, playing lands doesn’t use the stack, so it’s a free draw engine ready to be abused, and nearly unstoppable, too powerful. Perhaps if you had to sacrifice another land, or another BASIC land...

Volcano
Land- Mountain
Volcano comes into play tapped.
When you play Volcano, you may deal 2 damage to target player.

This one I like! I think it could also target creatures, although that could possibly make it too powerful. Perhaps targetting ONLY creatures! This way, if you want to open the game with it so it won’t hinder your mana development too much, then you lose the benefit. Otherwise, you "lose" a few turns. However, it’s still abusable as the one above, so I’d probably make it deal 1 damage only. But I liked this one very much.

Marsh
Land- Swamp
Marsh comes into play tapped.
When you play Marsh, you may make target creature +0/-2 until the end of the turn.

I’d just make it -2/-2, won’t make a difference anyway, and simetric cards are easier on the eyes. THIS one is VERY nice, but I think should be -1/-1 only, after all, for the same effect, you usually spend 2 mana and a card.

Woodland
Land- Forest
Woodland comes into play tapped.
When you play Woodland, you may return a basic land card from your graveyard to your hand.

This one is perfect.

Prairie
Land- Plains
Plains enters play tapped.
When you play Prairie, gain 2 life.

Another nice one.

I was surprised that none of those titles were taken.

Ever since the game started evolving from Alpha stuff and such, after Arabian Nights, Wizards of the Coast has decided to create its own unique identity, making their own worlds and such. In doing so, they had to forego using existing names to stuff, like landscapes, characters (Aladdin, Ali, etc) and such.

Anyone have an idea for a title?

I need to know what the set is about to give you an idea. First sets are important, since the whole block is named after it. Nowadays, they usually use the world’s name someway, like Mirrodin, Champions of Kamigawa or Lorwyn.

Anyway, more lands next.

Btw, I could easily see these ones at the uncommon slot, if you want to assign rarity. Pretty nice.

NBarden wrote:
Bermuda Triangle
Land
Bermuda Triangle comes into play tapped.
When Bermuda Triangle comes into play, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice two other lands.
Tap: Add 2 to your mana pool.
Tap, pay 1 life: Add BlueRed.

Very nice. I changed the template in this one to "comes into play" because it’s a triggered ability, so something should trigger it, and playing the permanent shouldn’t do it, because playing lands do not use the stack, so you wouldn’t be able to respond. This way, the land comes into play, triggers the sacrifice, and you can respond, with, oh Stifle or Trickbind, or even Voidslime? FUN, huh?
PS: Tapping AND paying life are parts of the cost, so they should appear separated by commas, and before the ":" mark. Always keep this in mind, you can only have one ":" mark per ability. What comes before it is a cost, what comes after is part of the effect. This matters for loops involving cards like Mangara of Corondor and Nevynirral’s Disk.

[b]Circle of Death

Land
Circle of Death comes into play tapped.
When Circle of Death comes into play, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice two other lands.
Tap, pay 1 life: Add RedGreen to your mana pool.

[b]Cosmic Triangle

Land
Cosmic Triangle comes into play tapped.
When Cosmic Triangle comes into play, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice two other lands.
Tap, pay 1 life: Add WhiteBlue to your mana pool.

[b]Circle of Life

Land
Circle of Life comes into play tapped.
When Circle of Life comes into play, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice two other lands
Tap, pay 1 life: Add WhiteBlueGreen

Crystal Quarry (Reprint)
Land
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool.
5, Tap: Add WhiteBlueRedGreen to your mana pool.

And the point of this set is multicolor everything.

You know, making something like this shortly after Ravnica may be kind of harsh, since comparisons are inevitable, and Ravnica bordered the overpowered on its own...

[b]Mana Rift
WhiteWhiteBlueBlueBlackRedRedGreenGreen
Legendary Enchantment
When Mana Rift comes into play, target player loses 10 life and you gain 10 life.
At the start of each of your turns, add 2 mana in any color combination of colors to your mana pool.
Evoke- WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen

The template I violeted doesn’t work. It has to add the mana either at a phase, so you can use it. Either during the upkeep (instants and abilities only), at the start of the combat phase, at end of turn (same), or at the beginning of a main phase. I like the evoke idea, very nice, but dangerous. If you can multicolor this out easily, all you need is a Boomerang to win. Evoke, gain 10 life, let the sacrifice trigger on the stack, bounce it back to your hand. Of course, you could just have 4 copies of it, but you see what I mean, it gives you outs to having to draw 2 of 4 copies. Perhaps it could have Epic?

[b]Mana Spill
1BlueWhite/BlackRed/Green
Instant
Counter target spell. Destroy target land.

Too easily splashable. I know the idea is to facilitate multicolor, but making multicolor overpowered is not fun. I think the [W/BW] part could be dropped, you already have the mandatory blue (so countering a spell is covered), and white does not destroy lands, so either make it 1BlueRedBlack/Green, or make it 1BlueRedRed, which would make more sense, make it more useful, and make for one hell of a card already, destroying lands at instant speed WHILE countering a spell? I’m on for it! WAY better than Cryptic Command!
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:13 pm
I decided to make Mana Spill (1)BlueBlackRed. Sound cool?

Also, how about split second on Mana Rift? That’d solve the Boomerang problem. And I’ll make the evoke (1)WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen
NBarden
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:35 pm
Here’s the next batch. We’re going to try some multi-color spells.

This is a color combo you’re going to be seeing a lot. BlueWhite/BlackRed/Green. This makes the spell cheaper than a WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen spell, but still retains the multi-color aspect of it. The reason I decided on Blue being the odd one out is because it represents the power of the mind, which seems to fit with the whole idea of Magic anyway.

So, its necessary to play any spell. First, let’s get some spells out.

Sunburst (3)
Artifact
Sunburst.
Each time a creature with sunburst comes into play, place a +1/+1 counter on it for each charge counter on Sunburst.
Each time a non-creature permanent with sunburst comes into play, place a charge counter on it for each charge counter on Sunburst.

Astral Explosion BlueWhite/BlackRed/Green
Instant
Target creature with Sunburst gains +3/+3 for each basic land type among lands you control.

Crystal Shatter (3)
Artifact Instant
As an additional cost to playing Crystal Shatter, sacrifice an artifact.
Add WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen.

Astral Essence (5)
Legendary Artifact
Sunburst.
Each creature you control is +1/+1 for each charge counter on Astral Essence.

Celestia Aster (5)
Planeswalker- Celestia
Celestia Aster comes into play with a loyalty counter for each color of mana spent to pay for her cost.
+1: Put a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on target permanent with sunburst.
-1: Put a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on each permanent with sunburst.
-7: Destroy each permanent without sunburst. Each player loses 1 life for each permanent they own destroyed this way.
Loyalty: *
Last edited by NBarden on Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 am; edited 3 times in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:48 pm
NBarden wrote:
I decided to make Mana Spill (1)BlueBlackRed. Sound cool?

It does, but it makes using it less useful. For instance, I had an old deck revolving around Magnivore. It was UR. Making it URB would be a mess, so I’d make some neat multicolored cards, but careful not to make too many.

Also, how about split second on Mana Rift? That’d solve the Boomerang problem. And I’ll make the evoke (1)WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen

Split second solves nothing. It makes it even worse, since now it can’t be countered. You play, it can’t be countered (essentially, that is) nor responded to. It resolves, THEN the evoke triggers. Now you CAN respond to it.
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:01 pm
NBarden wrote:

Sunburst BlueWhite/BlackRed/Green
Enchantment
Each creature with sunburst comes into play play with a +1/+1 counter on it.
Each non-creature permanent with sunburst comes into play play with a charge counter on it.

Ok, I sense a pattern here, so let’s cut it here and now, nothing ENTERS play, stuff COME INTO PLAY. Also, what’s this thing trying to do? Make sunburst better or hose it? It it’s to make it better, it kinda sucks, too high of a cost for a pretty lowly effect. However, as it’s worded, it HOSES them, since instead of coming with X counters, they’ll come with 1, the text creates a replacement effect. And as a hoser, it sucks again, could be an artifact, easier toc ast, since it’s too narrow. How hard is this to play? And how hard is Flashfires or Boiling Seas?

Astral Explosion BlueWhite/BlackRed/Green
Instant
Target creature gains +1/+1 for each basic land type among lands you control.

Check Gaea’s Might. See how better it is. Cut this one. And stop making every card unplayable, all around in colors! Laughing

Crystal Shatter 3
Instant
As an additional cost to playing Crystal Shatter, sacrifice an artifact.
Add WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen.

This one I like, but it either must be an artifact instant, or have a colored mana on the cost (even if you mean the card to be colorless).

Astral Essence 7
Legendary Artifact
Sunburst.
Each creature you control gets +1/+1 for each charge counter on Astral Essence.

Cool. Maybe even underpowered, at the cost.

Celestia Aster WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen
Planeswalker - Celestia
+1: Put a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on target permanent with sunburst.
-2: Put a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on each permanent with sunburst.
-8: Destroy each permanent without sunburst. Each player loses 1 life for each permanent they own destroyed this way.
Loyalty: 5

Kind of underpowered for a 5-color PLaneswalker, IMO. REALLY underpowered, actually. Not too crazy about the abilities, either. Sunburst, for excellency, is an artifact’s ability, perhaps you could make a colorless Planeswalker, with loyalty * and "Celestia Aster comes into play with a loyalty counter for each color of mana spent to pay for her cost".
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:20 pm
On Mana Rift- Okay, maybe making the evoke cost (5)BlueWhite/BlackRed/Green? Eh? Or just cut evoke altogether?

I really didn’t want to put epic on it...

Radically changed Sunburst. Upped Astral Explosion to +3/+3, but only with creatures with Sunburst. Or I could make it +2/+2 without the Sunburst restriction.

For some strange reason, Artifact Instant makes sense on Crystal Shatter.

Cut Astral Essence to 5.

Dropped the cost of Celestia to mini-multicolor, dropped loyalty, and dropped threshold for mega ability.

Speaking of which, what do people think of the BlueWhite/BlackRed/Green idea as a miniature multicolor?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:19 pm
I think it COULD be fun, but I still think Transguild Courier pws allin terms of mini-multicolor.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:31 pm
Well...the point isn’t that they’re all colors, but that they also require a multi-color mana base.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Dream Cards