LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Dream Cards
NBarden
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:30 pm
EL and ES, don’t abandon me!
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:17 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
"Don’t leave me alone with scary FM and all his rules-issues mumbo-jumbo!" Twisted Evil
I don't like YOU.
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:41 pm
NBarden wrote:
Sunburst (3)
Artifact
Sunburst.
Each time a creature with sunburst comes into play, place a +1/+1 counter on it for each charge counter on Sunburst.
Each time a non-creature permanent with sunburst comes into play, place a charge counter on it for each charge counter on Sunburst.

Interesting... like Felipe says, though, if it really is a limiting effect, then it could hose some of your cards (for example, astral essence could be a lot bigger w/out this).

Quote:
Astral Explosion BlueWhite/BlackRed/Green
Instant
Target creature with Sunburst gains +3/+3 for each basic land type among lands you control.

Not bad.

Quote:
Crystal Shatter (3)
Artifact Instant
As an additional cost to playing Crystal Shatter, sacrifice an artifact.
Add WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen.

Okay.

Quote:

Astral Essence (5)
Legendary Artifact
Sunburst.
Each creature you control is +1/+1 for each charge counter on Astral Essence.

Hum. Maybe a bit too splashable, with the Vivid lands, don’t you think? Any deck that put its mind to it could come up with all 5 colors with those, without really wrecking its mana. Maybe limit it to creatures with sunburst.

Quote:
Celestia Aster BlueWhite/BlackRed/Green
Planeswalker- Celestia
Celestia Aster comes into play with a loyalty counter for each color of mana spent to pay for her cost.
+1: Put a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on target permanent with sunburst.
-1: Put a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on each permanent with sunburst.
-7: Destroy each permanent without sunburst. Each player loses 1 life for each permanent they own destroyed this way.
Loyalty: 4

So, she starts with 7 if you pay it right? Then you can use her ability first turn?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
NBarden
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:29 am
Ach. Sorry, I made PART of the changes and forgot the rest. I feel stupid. Brick wall

One second.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
NBarden
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:22 am
Now for some sunburst instants! I probably mutilated the wording.

Essence Shatter (8)
Artifact Instant
Sunburst (X is the number of different colors of mana used to pay this card’s cost).
Destroy X target creatures. They can’t be regenerated.

Sunspawns (5)
Artifact Instant
Sunburst
Put X 1/2 colorless astral artifact creature tokens with Sunburst in play.

Solar Explosion (6)
Artifact Instant
Sunburst
Solar Explosion deals X damage to target creature and X damage to target player.

Solar Rift (2)WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen
Legendary Enchantment
At the start of each of your upkeeps, put a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on each permanent you control with sunburst.
Last edited by NBarden on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:11 pm; edited 3 times in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
NBarden
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:29 pm
Anyone?

Oh well. I might as well make another card for you to review.

Lord of the Sun (9)
Legendary Artifact Creature- Astral
Sunburst. Trample.
When Lord of the Sun comes into play, place a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on each permanent you control with sunburst. Clash with an opponent. If you win, place a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on each permanent you control with Sunburst.
6/6

Solar Harbinger (5)
Artifact Creature- Astral
Sunburst. Trample.
When Solar Harbinger comes into play, you may search your library for a card with Sunburst, reveal it, then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.
2/2

Solar Cataclysm (7)
Artifact Instant
Sunburst.
Solar Cataclysm deals X damage to target player. Clash with an opponent. If you win, target player sacrifices X lands, X creatures, and discards X cards from hand.
Last edited by NBarden on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:10 pm; edited 4 times in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:34 pm
NBarden wrote:
Now for some sunburst instants! I probably mutilated the wording.

Essence Shatter (Cool
Artifact Instant
Sunburst (X is the number of different colors of mana used to pay this card’s cost).
Destroy X target creatures. They can’t be regenerated.

I like it. Simple, yet effective. Just needs targetting, it’s not a global effect.

Sunspawns (5)
Artifact Instant
Sunburst
Put X 1/2 colorless artifact (what? sliver, construct? etc...) creature tokens with Sunburst in play.

Now, this spell is kind of tricky, but problem is, the SPELL puts the creatures into play, you didn’t pay a single mana to PLAY THE CREATURES. And since tokens can no longer live play without being destroyed (for a while, Momentary BLink allowed them to, but it was changed), having Sunburst won’t do a thing for them, I’d just lose that part (for the sake of keeping the text small, instead of saying they come with X +1/+1 counters, blablabla) and lower the cost a bit.

Solar Explosion (5)
Artifact Instant
Sunburst
Solar Explosion deals X damage to target creature and X damage to target player.

Too good. You see, imagine my Standard UB deck, for instance. I run a set of Prismatic Lenses, and Coalition Relics, so basically, you’d be giving a control deck a way to deal 5 straight to the face, WHILE nuking a creature. Plus, remember, there’s a little land called Academy Ruins, which could make this not so fun anymore in no time!

Solar Rift (2)WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen
Legendary Enchantment
At the start of each of your upkeeps, put a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on each permanent you control with sunburst.

Looks cool. Notice you didn’t exactly wreck the wording as you thought you would! Wink

I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:46 pm
NBarden wrote:
Anyone?

Oh well. I might as well make another card for you to review.

Lord of the Sun (9)
Legendary Artifact Creature - ??? (after "The Great Creature Type Update", every creature must have a subtype. Check Gatherer, if you want, and search for Ornithopter. See it’s oldest printings, and the new ones. Also, even if there’s no reprint, cards got creature types and subtypes in their Oracle text
Sunburst. Trample.
When Lord of the Sun comes into play, put a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on each permanent you control with sunburst. Clash with an opponent (when? Clash is a triggered ability, which then triggesr another ability if you win, so it must have a trigger). If you win, place a charge counter or +1/+1 counter on each permanent you control with Sunburst.
4/4

Does too much, but not enough for it’s cost. Remember, for 11 mana, you get Darksteel Colossus, why would I play this one instead? The token/counter-making ability is simply not enough.

Solar Harbinger (5)
Artifact Creature
Sunburst. Trample.
When Solar Harbinger comes into play, you may search your library for a card (if it’s not putting directly in paly, why not allow it to search all the neat instants you made, for instance? with Sunburst, reveal it, then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.
1/2

Nice enough, I guess. Broken with Academy Ruins and that dreaded game-winning instant, but...

Solar Cataclysm (5)
Artifact Instant
Sunburst.
Clash with an opponent. If you win, target player sacrifices X lands, X creatures, and discards X cards from hand.

Designer’s note. No one likes a spell that does nothing. The only reason Clash spells have the slightest possibility of being played is because they ALREADY have a nice effect, which only gets better if you win. So, either lose the clash, or give it a regular effect.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:12 pm
Sunspawns, I have the sunburst there so they can get powered up as much as they like from Lord of the Sun, Solar Rift, etc. So yes, Sunburst DOES do stuff for them, although not directly.
Solar Explosion, upped the cost to 6.
Lord of the Sun, upped p/t to 6/6. Astrals (new creature type) are a beatdown oriented deck.
Cataclysm, gave an X damage ability and upped cost to 7.
Harbinger, can now grab any card WITH SUNBURST. So I don’t see the Academy Ruins or game-winning instant being that broken.

Sound good? Any more changes? We’ll wrap up the decktype with some creatuers and artifacts and then move on to ninjas.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:32 pm
NBarden wrote:
Harbinger, can now grab any card WITH SUNBURST. So I don’t see the Academy Ruins or game-winning instant being that broken.

Those cards are ARTIFACT instants with sunburst, so I can find one, play it, and then keep recurring it to the top of my library at will. Not to mention, by making too many colorless cards INCLUDING sorceries and instants, you remove the challenge of crafting a fine mana base, also lowering the value of dual lands and such, since all you need to do is throw in a bunch of basic lands of all colors and you’re good to go, since the costs are all colorless. This is the main issue with making artifact spells that are not artifacts and creatures only. And I don’t really think there’s somehting you can do to fix it, other than losing the idea completly, which would be kind of sad. However, keep in mind sunburst was a really hated mechanic (the only card that sees play at all is Engineered Explosives), although I like what you’ve done with it, but I think artifact instants might be a bit over the top.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Dream Cards