LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats
NBarden
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:43 pm
--- description ---
Lorwyn block merfolk.
--- end description ---

Mana Base:
Wanderwine Hub x 4
Vivid Meadow x 4
Vivid Creek x 4
Island x 6
Plains x 4

Creatures:
Drowner of Secrets x 4
Judge of Currents x 4
Merrow Harbinger x 2
Silvergill Adept x 4
Fallowsage x 3
Sygg, River Guide
Harpoon Sniper x 2
Surge Spanner x 4
Wanderwine Prophets x 2
Veteran of the Depths x 2

Spells:
Broken Ambitions x 4
Cryptic Command x 4

Enchantments:
Merrow Commerce x 2

Get a Drowner of Secrets out ASAP. Begin milling, gaining life with Judge of Currents. Surge Spanner throws all their stuff back to hand, and Cryptic Command and Broken Ambitions counter spells. But it shouldn’t matter that much with the huge amount of life you’re getting.
Last edited by NBarden on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:35 pm; edited 5 times in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:38 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
What? No Summon the School to combo for infinity, nor Wandervine Prophets as finishers with the infinite turn loop? I’m disapointed. Also, Ponder and Oblivion Ring belong well in such a deck, as does Ajani and Jace. You can beat, and still tap merfolk. I’d try 3 Merrow Commerce.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:05 pm
I originally had 3, but I cut them for Merrow Harbinger. Merrow Harbinger CAN grab Merrow Commerce, thus effectively making it a 4x Merrow Commerce.

Its a trick I learned in LotR. Why run 4x Gandalf when you can run A Wizard is Never Late and grab another guy or something else WHILE filtering the deck?

I like the prophet idea, but Summon the School seems a little pricey.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:42 pm
Summon the School is what makes Merfolk click, letting you tap them "for free" to grab it back. If you have free ways to discard it, like Oona’s Prowler or something, all the better.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:26 pm
What should I cut for it?

And can’t my Merfolk already tap for free with Drowner of Secrets?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:16 pm
Yeah, but Summon the School gives you MORE ways to tap them, AND a way to make an infinite stream of creatures, so you can win any battle against a control deck, since you can simply keep recurring the spell. I’d cut 1 Benthicore, 1-2 Wanderwive Prophets, and lose the Harpoons.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:27 am
LOSE THE HARPOONS?!?!?!?!

Those rock both aggro AND control decks! If they attack or block, they get the creature completely anhilated! Think about it, with the number of merfolk out, I can obliterate a creature a turn for each Sniper out, and that happens every turn!

I’m not convinced on the snipers. Why do they stink?

I think I need the prophets though, because at the end of my turn my merfolk untap, I take another turn and mill their deck with Drowner and mega life gain with the others, and then take another turn, continue mill and lifegain.

I’ll cut 1x Benthicore, 1x Prophet, and 1x Sniper for 3x Summon the School.

Merfolk have so many ways to go. I decided that I’m gonna pretty soon make a deck that revolves around four cards. Judge of Currents, Drowner of Secrets, Merrow Commerce and Wanderwine Prophet.

I also wanna make a Island Walk deck with Streambed Aquitects and Aquitects Will.

That would be awesome. I’ll work on it now.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:54 pm
THe problem with Harpoons is that they’re merely reactive cards, fully defensive, and they’re on the table, they’re not a surprise. No one would be simply go and attack on an army of merfolk armed with Harpoons! So, what they do is leave their guys in defense mode ’till they draw some removal (and this accomplishes gaining you time to gain life, sure, so some Harpoons could stay), and since Merfolks really lack that "punch" feeling (except for Prophets, although they cost A LOT and have to champion something, which is why I’d play with 2, TOPS), the game slow to a crawl, until they draw that dreaded Austere Command.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:52 pm
1. If they draw removal cards. Remember, milling around....
2. The point of the deck is to keep your opponent on the defensive, that way, you can mill them to death. That’s pretty much what the point of the deck is, life-gain and mill. And if they remove the Harpoon Snipers, by the time they get around to it, they’ve already lost a good part of their deck and I’ll have a huge enough life-total to deal with it.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:12 pm
THIS is a control deck. Blue control decks need counterspells.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats