LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 0
NBarden
Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:16 pm
--- description ---

Silent and hitherto unnoticed, but he has an amazing ability that is waiting to be used.

--- end description ---

Today’s Spotlight On...Silent Traveler!

2 Silent Traveler Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 5
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 6
Ranger. Hunter 1.
At the start of each skirmish involving this companion and a roaming minion, you may reinforce a Gondor token.
"We have not found what we sought."
15C69

(Unfortunately, the card image links are currently down, but hopefully they will be back up soon).

As is common in the later sets, many worthy and fun cards are released to be quickly overshadowed by a broken card. This companion was one of such. His release with hunters was quickly overshadowed by the infamous Madril, Defender of Osgiliath/Ithilien Blade combo.

Madril has been x-listed, but the banning was so soon before the release of the next set that the potential for lGondor in the Hunters set was completely overlooked.

No longer.

This companion has amazing potential that is crying out to be used. So use it we will.

Let us analyze the card now.

(1). Twilight cost. 2. Great twilight cost, allows you to start two of them, or one of them and another companion, such as Faramir, Captain of Ithilien or some other companion that will help the fellowship stay together until you can set up the deck.
(2). Non-unique. This card is not unique. Completely awesome. His text can now be compounded by 4 for ultimate token reinforcing.
(3). Stats. Here’s the catch. With 5/3/6 stats, his ability cannot be used without some risk. His hunter 1 bonus, however, gives him a basic 6/3/6 stat of a typical cost 2 companion, and he can be boosted a little with an Ithilien Blade or something.
(4). Text.
-(A). "Ranger." I see Faramir’s Bow, Ithilien Longbow. And other fun stuff that only rangers can have.
-(B). "At the start of each skirmish involving this minion, you may reinforce a Gondor token." How cool is that? The text spells many amazing combinations with various Gondor cards. The Faithful Stone, Heirs of Gondor, Noble Leaders, and Brego, Loyal Steed. This text is begging to be used. However, he has to be.
(5). Rarity. Common. Anyone can get a hold of a few of these. So what’s not to love about this guy?

So how are we best going to use him? Well, he must fight. He must use tokens. Wait a minute, how about using tokens to fight?

(34 cards)

Faramir, Bearer of Quality
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

Silent Traveler (Starting)
Gondorian Prowler (Starting)
Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver (Starting)

Silent Traveler x 3
Tradesman from Lebennin x 2

Ranger’s Cloak x 4
Faramir’s Bow x 2
Ithilien Blade x 4

Man the Walls x 4
Noble Leaders x 2
Heirs of Gondor x 3
Soldier’s Cache x 2

Throne of Minas Tirith

Defenses Long Held x 4

The point is simple. The minions are roaming via Faramir’s Bow and Man The Walls. Silent Traveler reinforces Heirs of Gondor and bam. Instant +2 strength. Pippin combo can make for an easy kill, and an easy token. Faramir’s auto-roam text also makes for a great instant minion kill combo, as well as being able to afford losing some companions once the roaming combo stops working completely, if necessary, which I highly doubt.

So this deck gives you a small taste of what he can do. Well....how about trying out his crazy reinforcement abilities in a wounding deck?

(34 cards)

Boromir, Bearer of Council
The Ring of Rings

Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver (Starting)

Silent Traveler x 3
Aragorn, Thorongil
Faramir, Captain of Ithilien
Mablung, Ranger of Ithilien

Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow
Faramir’s Bow, Ithilien Longbow

Soldier’s Cache x 3
Sixth Level x 2
Noble Leaders x 3
Houses of Healing
Man the Walls x 4

Throne of Minas Tirith x 2
Ithilien Blade x 4
Brego, Loyal Steed x 2
Ranger’s Cloak x 2
Anduril, Sword That Was Broken

Load Aragorn up with vitality boosts, and use Brego to guzzle tokens and slam minions. Let some fight to get tokens with Silent Traveler, and then kill with Pippin.

The strategy doesn’t rely all that much on Silent Traveler, however, a Brego combo is to fun NOT to mention.

A very closely related deck is one that refuses to let minions fight. The strategy is simple. Observe.

(35 cards)

Ring of Rings

Silent Traveler x 2 (Starting)

Silent Traveler x 2
Madril, Loyal Lieutenant
Damrod, Dunadan of Gondor
Aragorn, Captain of Gondor
Faramir, Captain of Ithilien

Ithilien Blade x 4
Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow
Faramir’s Bow, Ithilien Longbow

The Faithful Stone x 4
Soldier’s Cache x 4
Sixth Level x 3
Invigorated x 4
Houses of Healing x 2
Man the Walls x 4

The point of this deck is to reinforce The Faithful Stone like crazy and then stop them from fighting when its crucial. Crazy healing allows abusing Madril and Ithilien Blade, finally mopping up anything else with Aragorn’s Bow.

Now for the greatest deck of them all, the grand finale featuring such a powerful combo that you’ll have to see abused.

(34 cards)

The Ring of Rings

Faramir, Captain of Ithilien (Starting)

Silent Traveler x 3
Aragorn, Isildur’s Heir x 4
Denethor, On the Edge of Madness

Denethor’s Sword x 2
Faramir’s Bow
Ithilien Blade x 4
Throne of Minas Tirith
Anduril, Sword that was Broken

Noble Leaders x 3
Heirs of Gondor x 2
Support of the City x 4
Houses of Healing
Storied Homestead
The Faithful Stone
Man the Walls x 4

The point of this deck is to get a bunch of your awesome conditions, and Aragorn gets plain huge. Silent Traveler’s get Ithilien Blades and can themselves get pretty large and clobber everything in their path. Tokens aplenty, great pumping, this deck just clobbers everything in its path!

The Silent Traveler is silent no more. His ability to throw out tons of tokens for guzzling makes him perfect for any deck using tokens. Grab a few copies of this awesome common and start abusing the raw power of Gondor tokens!

Until Next Time!

~NBarden
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:33 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Dang, nice article. But it felt so short...
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
NBarden
Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:04 am
They are short, because they’re not supposed to be full-length articles. They’re just short spotlights. One day, I’m compiling all of them together.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest