LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
NBarden
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:02 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
NBarden, unfortunately you are in the vast minority in thinking most are underpowered. However, I did take a couple of your suggestions (and lem0n’s, too).

I think they’re as good as they’re going to get, so let’s move on to the special elfstones. As you’ll see, these do a lot more than just add a simple ability. Very Happy As such, they cost more and are unique. Anyway, enough babbling...enjoy!

1Stone of Craftmanship Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an elfstone. Bearer must be a companion.
This artifact may be borne in addition to 1 other elfstone.
Skirmish: Exert bearer to take a non-unique possession into hand from your draw deck or discard pile.

Love it.

In The Third Age, this elfstone lets you create potions and other items your party can use...but only in battle. Therefore, I didn’t use it much, since it takes a LONG time before you can create anything truly useful, and in my opinion, it was better to just focus on beating things up than stopping to make stuff in the thick of battle. But I suppose that had I been more patient, it would have been VERY helpful...as I hope this artifact is.

2Stone of Fell Shadow Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Strength +1
Resistance -1
To play, spot a Shadow card or 2 burdens. Bearer must be a companion. If bearer is Ring-bound, bearer is resistance -1.
This artifact may be borne in addition to 1 other elfstone (except Stone of Pure Light).
Skirmish: Exert bearer and add a burden to choose one: discard each card borne by a minion skirmishing bearer; remove each ability of a minion bearer is skirmishing; or wound each minion bearer is skirmishing.

Okay. This is the most underpowered card I have EVER seen. Sorry Dain, but you have to do bad things in order to get it into play, then you drop resistance and, in compensation, give them a highly-costed, mediocre ability.

Once you make a card, ask yourself if you would use it.

In TTA, this was the first elfstone you got that allowed the learning of all-new abilities, including weakening enemies (and taking some of their enhancements away) or just doing some good, dark side-esqe damage. Twisted Evil I think this card represents that...I just hope it’s balanced. Anxious

2Stone of Pure Light Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +2
To play, spot an Elven artifact. Bearer must be a companion.
This artifact may be borne in addition to 1 other elfstone (except Stone of Fell Shadow).
At the start of bearer’s skirmish, exert bearer to choose one: heal a companion; make a minion lose lurker or fierce; or exert each minion bearer is skirmishing.

Hm...I don’t think I would ever use any of these, the exerting ability is rather weak. I guess I might use it as a resistance bumper for the RB, but other than that...

This elfstone is both similiar to and very, very different from Fell Shadow. It also allows learning new skills (including many of Idrial’s healing spells) and has damaging, light-based attacks later on. But it also focuses more on either helping your party (with healing) or immobilizing the enemy (which is, in my opinion, the most powerful skill in the game, since it completely locks up certain enemies for a long, LONG time and doesn’t let them do ANYTHING...and does lasting damage, to boot!).

Currently, this CAN be borne by the Ring-bearer, but I expect that may cause an outcry. If it does, I’m willing to change that.

And now for an elfstone that’s NOT from the game, but from Tolkien. Smile

2Stone of Eärendil Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +1
To play, spot a unique Elf. Bearer must be Aragorn or a unique Elf.
At the start of each of your turns, you may remove a burden or heal another companion.
“For it is said that those who looked through this stone saw things that were withered or burned healed again or as they were in the grace of their youth, and that the hands of one who held it brought to all that they touched healing from hurt.”

Yes, this one IS rather broken. See Ring of Barahir. I’d say, you may add 2 to heal another companion, and drop the burden peeling.

Not sure how THIS will strike people, either. Probably badly broken, but hey, I had to try. Smile This is the infamous Elessar (and the inspiration for that part of Aragorn’s later name), given to Aragorn by Galadriel at their parting in Lothlórien. Tolkien never really tells us what it’s for, but healing and burden removal both seemed to make a lot of sense to me.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:10 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
In hindsight, NB, I suppose I DID nerf them too much. Not they’re back to being the OP bruisers I originally made. Twisted Evil How do you like ’em NOW? Too far off the other end, I presume?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:27 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
NBarden, unfortunately you are in the vast minority in thinking most are underpowered. However, I did take a couple of your suggestions (and lem0n’s, too).

They’re not at all underpowered - you can’t compare them to previous 0 cost artifacts like Narya or the Palantir for two main reasons:

1) They’re non-unique.
2) They are not nearly as constricted as to who can bear them or how you can use them.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Artifact • Elfstone
Skirmish: Exert bearer to take a non-unique possession into hand from your draw deck or discard pile.

Fine, but I think you should continue to follow the Rule of Shape and make it 0 - doesn’t seem that good anyway.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
3Stone of Fell Shadow Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Strength +1
Resistance -1
To play, spot a Shadow card or 2 burdens. Bearer must be a companion. If bearer is Ring-bound, bearer is resistance -1.
This artifact may be borne in addition to 1 other elfstone (except Stone of Pure Light).
Skirmish: If bearer is not assigned to a skirmish, exert bearer and add a burden to choose one: discard each card borne by each minion; remove each special ability of each minion; or wound each minion. Limit once per turn.

Absolutely crazy! I actually think it was fine before given that it was amazing ring-bearer protection, but this way is even more interesting. I think I’d try and bring the cost down by choosing only one of those abilities and/or making it unable to be born with another elfstone.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
3Stone of Pure Light Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +2
This artifact may be borne in addition to 1 other elfstone (except Stone of Fell Shadow).
Skirmish: If bearer is not assigned to a skirmish, exert bearer to choose one: heal a companion twice; make each minion lose lurker and fierce; or exert each minion.

Again I’d lose some abilities and take out the additional option for bearing another elfstone, but I like the contrast between this and the last.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Stone of Eärendil Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +1
At the start of each of your turns, you may add 2 to remove a burden or heal another companion.
“For it is said that those who looked through this stone saw things that were withered or burned healed again or as they were in the grace of their youth, and that the hands of one who held it brought to all that they touched healing from hurt.”

It’s not at all clear that the Elessar was the same as the Stone of Earendil. In fact, Tolkien gives a perfectly reasonable explanation that Celebrimbor made it, so I would just call it Elessar, which it certainly is, rather than claiming it as something not even Tolkien guaranteed. Again, it needs to cost 0 (for the Rule of Shape - look at rings and palantiri! Razz) as it’s currently underpowered given that it’s unique and can only be borne by very few people.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:07 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Artifact • Elfstone
make it limit twice or something

3Stone of Fell Shadow Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Strength +1
Resistance -1
Skirmish: If bearer is not assigned to a skirmish, exert bearer and add a burden to choose one: discard each card borne by each minion; remove each special ability of each minion; or wound each minion. Limit once per turn.
I don’t know what to say...

3Stone of Pure Light Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +2
Skirmish: If bearer is not assigned to a skirmish, exert bearer to choose one: heal a companion twice; make each minion lose lurker and fierce; or exert each minion.
yeah I would say make it bearer except the RB

2Stone of Eärendil Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +1
At the start of each of your turns, you may add 2 to remove a burden or heal another companion.

cool!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:41 pm
Okay, I tweaked each card, bringing the cost down to 0 for each...and text to match. I hope. Smile Let me know what you think now. Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:15 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

0Stone of Craftmanship Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Skirmish: Exert bearer to take a non-unique possession into hand from your draw deck or discard pile. Limit once per skirmish.

I hate limit once things just say that the start of the skirmish.

0Stone of Fell Shadow Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Strength +1
Resistance -1
Skirmish: If bearer is not assigned to a skirmish, exert bearer and add a burden to choose one: discard each card borne by a minion; remove the game text (except card type and race) of a minion; or wound up to 2 minions. Limit once per skirmish.

Again see above note. Im swaying towards OP but not sure. The last 2 abilites seem way too good.

0Stone of Pure Light Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +1
Skirmish: If bearer is not assigned to a skirmish, exert bearer and add a threat to choose one: heal a companion; make a minion lose all game text keywords; or exert up to 2 minions. Limit once per skirmish.

See above 2 notes now! You cant limit it to one skirmish when theyre not in a skirmish as well! Seems better.

0Stone of Eärendil Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +1

I dont like how galadriel can have this if shes the RB. I think it should be 3 for the burden, like narya etc.. and 2 for heal.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:31 am
Okay, made MORE tweaks, including swapping two abilities on Pure Light and Fell Shadow. How’re they now?

lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:49 am
Seems ok Dain but ive seen so many Stone of.... that my eyes and brain hurt. d'oh!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:54 am
lem0nhead wrote:
Seems ok Dain but ive seen so many Stone of.... that my eyes and brain hurt. d'oh!

Heheh. Don’t worry...that should be the last of them. At least for a good long while.

I’ll give a little more time for the new versions to pass reviews by Thran (and maybe SoP) and others, then I’ll post some new stuff. Smile

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:46 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

by Thran (and maybe SoP)

I should be insulted Wink

DáinIronfoot wrote:

0Stone of Craftmanship Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, you may exert him or her to take a non-unique possession into hand from your draw deck or discard pile.
better. I don’t like this being borne by the ringbearer. get lucky and get it (saved from the fire anyone?) and with a resolute hobbit and some doom, you just got 5 possessions for your next turn. Of course you get major hand clog...unless you have dernhelms blade Wink. yeah dernhelms blade is my main issue with this. thats an awful lot of wounding.

0Stone of Fell Shadow Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Strength +1
Resistance -1
Skirmish: If bearer is not assigned to a skirmish, exert bearer and add a burden to choose one: discard each card borne by a minion; make a minion lose all game text keywords; or wound up to 2 minions. Limit once per skirmish.
works

0Stone of Pure Light Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +1
Skirmish: If bearer is not assigned to a skirmish, exert bearer and add a threat to choose one: heal a companion twice; remove the game text (except card type and race) of a minion; or exert up to 2 minions. Limit once per skirmish.
I think it shouldn’t be borne by the ring-bearer.

0Stone of Eärendil Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +1
At the start of each of your turns, you may choose one: add 3 to remove a burden; or add 2 to heal another companion.

infamous?
it seems fine.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards