LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:18 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Funny...I actually plan to make both of today’s characters for my Reflections-style set too! So it’ll be interesting to see your take on them....

Thranduil wrote:
2 • Celebrimbor, Smith of Eregion Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 6
Vit: 3
Res: 8
To play, spot an Elf (or Narvi).
At the start of each fellowship phase, you may exert Celebrimbor to play an Elven artifact or ring from your draw deck or discard pile.
Celebrimbor is resistance -1 for each artifact you can spot.

Niftiness. No complaints, though keep in mind that this DOES let you play a few cards that don’t really make tons of sense (like the Ring of Barahir and Galadriel’s Silver Ewer). That’s okay, though.

Thranduil wrote:
2 • Narvi, Master Smith Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Res: 6
Fellowship: Play an Elven artifact to heal Narvi.
Fellowship: Discard your artifact from play and exert Narvi to draw a card (or 2 cards if that artifact was a ring).

Awesome synergy with Celebrimbor. I love how you can start these guys together and set things up pretty well with artifacts and/or crazy cycling. Good stuff!

Thranduil wrote:
Lores will come at some point, but I’m a bit busy. And next will be some juicy Elves.

You’re making an Elf named lem0nhead?! Shocked

Razz
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:20 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
now that narvi is actually a dwarf, both cards make a lot more sense...
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:45 am
Thranduil wrote:

Terror X - (Each time this character is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s character, you may make that opponent exert X of their characters)

You know my thoughts. I still think removing the X bit would make this still powerful but more controlled. I think terror >1 is OP.

Enduring X - (For each wound on this character, they are strength +X)

I dont think this is necessary. Enduring was a good mechanism that was balanced. Id leave it alone.

Bloodlust X - (For each wound on each character this character is skirmishing, they are strength +X)

Cool, turning lengthy gametext into a keyword. Sound. Will keep a close eye on it though for OP.

Legendary - (This card can only be discarded by legendary cards)

Not sure ill like this. The flexibility of LOTR is what makes it good, an entire deck can be running riot but a well played seclusion can stop it for a turn or 2. Messing with "invincible" cards is unpleasant.

Stalwart - Ability - (When this character is assigned to skirmish a character of greater strength, you may use this ability) (eg. Stalwart - heal a companion)

Your mechanisms get more complicated as they become harder to create cos all the best are gone! But i do happen to like this. Again depending on how strong you make some of these "abilities".

4Annatar, Lord of Gifts Sauron (Free Peoples)
Companion • Maia
Str: 7
Vit: 4
Res: 0
Enduring 1.
To play, spot 3 companions of the same culture and play an artifact of that culture from your draw deck.
Annatar’s resistance cannot be modified.
Skirmish: Exert Annatar and spot a character bearing an artifact to make that character strength +2. The first Shadow player may also use this ability.
... his hue was still that of one both fair and wise.

I have NOOOOO idea the story behind this or who it is but ill review it from a tcg player perspective. LOL which turns out to be a not complicated analysis. "Seems ok to me". Not the best cards ever, too much unusualness.

2 • Celebrimbor, Smith of Eregion Elven
Companion • Elf
Res: 8
To play, spot an Elf (or Narvi).
At the start of each fellowship phase, you may exert Celebrimbor to play an Elven artifact or ring from your draw deck or discard pile.
Celebrimbor is resistance -1 for each artifact you can spot.

I like your point about ease of artifacts but u have to remember that unless you rotate the old sets out, these shouldnt be mixed as artifacts arent easy in the tradtional exisiting game.
He seems silly balanced. Good text but renders him kinda useless.

2 • Narvi, Master Smith Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Res: 6
Fellowship: Play an Elven artifact to heal Narvi.
Fellowship: Discard your artifact from play and exert Narvi to draw a card (or 2 cards if that artifact was a ring).

If artifacts are so easy to come by then the first ability is too good surely?

Thranduil

DáinIronfoot wrote:

Thranduil wrote:
Lores will come at some point, but I’m a bit busy. And next will be some juicy Elves.

You’re making an Elf named lem0nhead?! Shocked

Razz

That would be sooooo cool. Make me an elf worthy of lem0nhead!!!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Anvar
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:17 am
Why don’t you use Legendary as an unloaded keyword, which gives powerups to other abilities? This could represent the ancient power coming out when necessary.

Eg. Make a Legendary version of Aiglos. Then an event that says "Make an Elf strength +2 (or strength +5 if they bear a Legendary weapon)." That kind of thing.

Anvar
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:44 pm
lem0nhead wrote:
]I have NOOOOO idea the story behind this or who it is but ill review it from a tcg player perspective. LOL which turns out to be a not complicated analysis. "Seems ok to me". Not the best cards ever, too much unusualness
Sorry, I should be clearer about this in general. Annatar is Sauron in disguise, hence the lore text. He came to the Smiths of Eregion and taught them the art of ring-making while he was creating his own to rule them all and chose the name Annatar, meaning Lord of Gifts (hence the subtitle). He could still seem fair and angelic in the Second Age, that ability being lost in the Fall of Numenor.

lem0nhead wrote:
I like your point about ease of artifacts but u have to remember that unless you rotate the old sets out, these shouldnt be mixed as artifacts arent easy in the tradtional exisiting game.

I understand, and you’ll see with some of my weird ideas later that a serious amount of isolationism needs to be assumed because some of the old One Rings won’t work at all with what I’m trying to do.

lem0nhead wrote:
If artifacts are so easy to come by then the first ability is too good surely?

Possibly, but it does mean you have to use Elven cards to get the bonus. I’ll bear that in mind and look at it later.

Legendary could work as you suggest, Anvar and I will certainly think on it.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:16 pm
I said I’d have some Elven Lords (but none called lem0nhead, I’m afraid! Razz)

So, what better place to begin than with my inspiration for the coming strategy. Months and months ago, some of you may remember this DC from I think L333’s contest, and possibly the first DC contest I ever took part in:

4 • Cirdan, Lord of the Grey Havens Elven
Companion • Elf
Res: 7
To play, spot 2 Elven cards.
Each companion bearing an Elven artifact gains "Stalwart - (when this companion is assigned to a minion of greater strength, you may:) draw a card".
Maneuver: Discard an artifact borne by Cirdan to reinforce a Free Peoples token (or 2 Free Peoples tokens if that artifact was a ring).

And let’s have his ring to go with him with a bit of explanation. As I said I wanted to portray a casual attitude towards artifacts in general, hence his discarding ability, and part of this is the low-level abilities and the fact that the bearers of the rings had not been fully decided upon yet (assume legendary is unloaded for now)

0 • Narya, Third of the Three Elven
Artifact • Ring
Vit: +1
Legendary.
Bearer must be a unique Elf.
If this card is discarded from play, you may heal its bearer.

As I’m doing quite a few unconventional things at once, what are people’s thoughts on concepts with this theme?

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 4 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:10 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

Companion • Elf
Each companion bearing an Elven artifact is resistance +1.
Maneuver: Discard an artifact borne by Cirdan to reinforce a Free Peoples token (or 2 Free Peoples tokens if that artifact was a ring).
cool! but horrible overshadow by the other version IMHO

Artifact • Ring
Legendary.
Bearer is legendary.

keep the vitality bonus.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:26 am
Thranduil wrote:
I said I’d have some Elven Lords (but none called lem0nhead, I’m afraid! Razz)

I dont know if have the motivation to review any longer, this set holds no promise!!! Razz

Companion • Elf
Each companion bearing an Elven artifact is resistance +1.

Seems underpowered but your explanation is valid. I think the resistance boost could be changed for a more useful line of text unless resistance is mightily important for your set.

Artifact • Ring
Legendary.
Bearer is legendary.

As I’m doing quite a few unconventional things at once, what are people’s thoughts on concepts with this theme?

Fine but i still want to know what you have in mind for legendary. I dislike the cant discard it principle.

Thranduil
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:31 am
lem0nhead wrote:
I dont know if have the motivation to review any longer, this set holds no promise!!! Razz

I, of course don’t have that problem - I could make 2 versions of myself for my Hobbit block! Razz

lem0nhead wrote:
Seems underpowered but your explanation is valid. I think the resistance boost could be changed for a more useful line of text unless resistance is mightily important for your set.

Not especially. I’d like to use one of my new keywords. Maybe Stalwart - remove 2. Or maybe just to a straight strength boost. Thoughts?

lem0nhead wrote:
Fine but i still want to know what you have in mind for legendary. I dislike the cant discard it principle.

Let’s assume that it’s unloaded for the moment. If I think of anything particularly inspiring, we’ll take another look at it later.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:46 am
Thranduil wrote:

lem0nhead wrote:

Not especially. I’d like to use one of my new keywords. Maybe Stalwart - remove 2. Or maybe just to a straight strength boost. Thoughts?

Thranduil

I think a generic strength boost would make him more in line with the awesome (and imoh OP) old one. But i like the use of the new stalwart mechanism. Id think it has to be better than remove 2 though to make him useful.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards