LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:08 pm
Well, I don’t normally post decks, but I had such a fun idea for a Shadow side that I had to post it.

The choices of Sauron minions in particular may seem a bit random, but I just took the most durable Orcs I could find that were most likely to survive with vitality in the regroup phase (you’ll see why in a second), but not too many high cost guys for fear of running out of twilight.

30 cards
Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders x4
Ulaire Toldea, Eigth of the Nine Riders x2
The Witch-King, Lord of Angmar
Ulaire Attea, Keeper of Dol Guldur
Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Mordor x2
Not Easily Destroyed
Spied From Above x2
Shapes Slowly Advancing x3

Gate Sentry x2
Peril x3
Host of Udun
Orc Marauder
Orc Pillager x3
Orc Veteran x2
Morgul Skulker x3

So, basic principle, this deck relies on winning with Shapes Slowly Advancing (which is in itself a challenge!) and uses durable Nazgul and Sauron Orcs in tandem with Peril and Spied From Above to play Nazgul in the regroup phase to immediately discard to get that crucial token on Shapes Slowly Advancing. Once there’s one token on it, you use Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders and Ulaire Toldea, Eigth of the Nine Riders and pair it with a site path controlling FP side like Rangers to make sure you continually are moving to the Morannon Plains to win! Twisted Evil

Then you use Morgul Skulker to recover some crucial lost Nazgul which you discarded.

(Not Easily Destroyed is just there to make sure your Nazgul have enough vitality to use Spied From Above)

So, what do you think? It’s clearly not a particularly good deck, but it’s quite entertaining!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
gil-estel
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:33 pm
Joined: 25 Apr 2007 Posts: 545 Location: Groningen, the Netherlands
Like it..just a question, can the free people player deny the token from Morannon Plains with the text on Shapes Slowly Advancing? I mean, it is a regroup action in which the response action is mentioned....because if not so it would be killing!
My trading list
My main wants
My refs
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:35 pm
No, the Free Peoples player can only prevent tokens placed using the game text of Shapes Slowly Advancing. There’s nothing they can do about constantly moving to the Morannon Plains (mwahahaha! Twisted Evil)

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
gil-estel
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:41 pm
you wicked man! I must give this a try! How cool that this card is not unique. You could add gothmog’s warg for extra vitality, cheaper than some orcs, and you don’t have to win, only survive until the regroup with enough vitality...
My trading list
My main wants
My refs
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:16 pm
gil-estel wrote:
you wicked man! I must give this a try! How cool that this card is not unique. You could add gothmog’s warg for extra vitality, cheaper than some orcs, and you don’t have to win, only survive until the regroup with enough vitality...

Non-unique doesn’t help because discarding 1 Nazgul only gives you 1 token, regardless of how many copies there are.

Also, any form of condition discard completely shuts down the deck. But it’s fun for casual play.

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Kralik
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:27 pm
Thranduil wrote:

Non-unique doesn’t help because discarding 1 Nazgul only gives you 1 token, regardless of how many copies there are.

Also, any form of condition discard completely shuts down the deck. But it’s fun for casual play.

Thranduil

True, but at least having more than one copy down (if you can burn the twilight) would help if one of them was discarded. Wink
gil-estel
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:33 pm
true, but you can start collecting tokens on multiple cards....
My trading list
My main wants
My refs
NBarden
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:51 pm
Run White Arrows of Lorien on the Freeps... Shhh
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:38 pm
NBarden wrote:
Run White Arrows of Lorien on the Freeps... Shhh

That’s just mean! Shame on you

I like it... Wink

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Anvar
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:38 pm
Love the deck, it seems like an awful lot of fun. Perhaps consider playing Nazgul who have an effect when you play them, such as Cantea, Faster than Winds. Or play Ulaire Attea, Thrall of the One, for the possibility of playing nazgul, returning them to hand and then playing them again in the regroup phase.

For Free Peoples, I would be inclined to play something like Shield of the White Tree (shuffling fun) or Mellon (discardy fun). I actually have both of these cards free if you’re interested...

Anvar

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded