LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
bibfortuna25
Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:58 am
I’m not understanding your Bilbo question. What sort of effect are you trying to prevent with healing Bilbo?

If you mean you exert Bilbo to get some effect and later on you heal him, the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. They are two completely separate actions.
All cards do what they say.
Mythdracon
Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:44 pm
Well, the exertion would allow the effect to come into play (not prevent an effect) and then the healing would heal that exertion--in the rule book (under ’prevention’ I think) it says if you exert then heal, the effect you exerted for is cancelled. I don’t understand why such a rule is in place, but apparently it is. :S
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:10 pm
Can you quote the passage in the rule book or give a specific example? I didn’t see the example you were describing.
Mythdracon
Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:44 pm
Darn. I forgot the details of the exact situation. =(
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:05 am
Laughing Guess I can take a potshot.

Cards that directly prevent an action from happening tend to follow one of these formats:

- "If X is about to happen, prevent that."
- "If Y is about to happen, do Z instead."

In these situations the original action never happens. So if Bilbo attempts to exert as a cost, and the exertion is prevented or replaced with another action, then since the cost wasn’t paid the effects aren’t carried out.

For example if the preventive card says "Response: If Bilbo is about to exert, heal him instead" it might seem like healing is preventing the exertion from happening. But the real issue is Bilbo wasn’t able to exert in the first place; a card that said "Response: If Bilbo is about to exert, draw a card instead" would’ve worked just as well.

As for doing other things in between, the "about" part takes precedence over cards that trigger when Bilbo actually exerts. For example a card that says "Each time a Hobbit exerts, add 3" can’t trigger between Bilbo attempting to exert and the preventive card from being played, so there’s no mess with having to undo everything and sort things out.

And if the first "about" prevents or replaces the action, that stops a second "about" that could trigger off the same from happening, since the original situation has changed. (Incidentally, this differs from "at the start of the X phase" stuff, where multiple cards can trigger.)

Hope that helps a bit!
Mythdracon
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:17 am
Kinda confusing. But then rules explanations have always confused me. I shall look it over several more times before I get it, I think, but I will get it eventually. Thanks. Smile

More questions:
-If an Orc that makes a site underground is killed during the skirmish phase, is the site no longer underground?

-Let’s say Pippin is skirmishing a Dunlending and so is Aragorn. I resolve Aragorn’s skirmish first, then cancel Pippin’s skirmish. Does this mean Pippin lost the skirmish? The Advanced Tutorial for the LOTR TCG seems to think so. Yet when I am in the midst of Aragorn’s skirmish and cancel Pippin’s skirmish, the fight is not considered won. Why is this?
bibfortuna25
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:26 am
1) Yes
2) If a skirmish is canceled, there is no winner or loser. However, if you wish to cancel Pippin’s skirmish, you must do so during Pippin’s skirmish, not Aragorn’s.

BTW, none of the rules in this game are difficult to understand. I understand them all, and I have access to the same rules documents that you do.

But going back to your Bilbo question, healing is completely different from exerting. If a card says "Exert Bilbo to do X," and another card says "Do Y to heal Bilbo," then they are two separate actions that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
All cards do what they say.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions