LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:36 pm
Well I decided that the other thread was getting a bit overcrowded with ideas, so I’ve left it over to FP cards and brought the Shadow cards over here.

I have about 5/6 copies of Sauron planned, and just for completeness I’m reposting those which you’ve already seen. So this first one is Sauron trying to be nice and tricking the Elves into forging the Rings of Power.

4 • Annatar, Lord of Gifts Sauron (Free Peoples)
Companion • Maia
Str: 7
Vit: 4
Res: 0
Enduring 1.
To play, spot 3 companions of the same culture and play an artifact of that culture from your draw deck.
Annatar’s resistance cannot be modified.
Skirmish: Exert Annatar and spot a character bearing an artifact to make that character strength +2. While you can spot 4 burdens, the first Shadow player may also use this ability.
... his hue was still that of one both fair and wise.

Now this next one is his persona as he manipulates these rings of power and hands them out to people to be corrupted and to do his bidding, like the Nazgul. This one is specifically meant to work with the rings below, but also nice for kitting out your Ringwraiths.

4 • Sauron, The Deceiver Sauron
Minion • Maia
Str: 8
Vit: 4
Sit: 2
Enduring 1.
When you play Sauron, you may play a ring from your draw deck.
While in region 1, Sauron cannot be assigned to a skirmish.
Each companion bearing a ring is strength -2 and cannot be assigned to skirmish Sauron.
But Sauron gathered into his hands all the remaining Rings of Power; and he dealt them out to the other peoples of Middle-earth, hoping thus to bring under his sway all those that desired secret power beyond the measure of their kind.

These following are two cards that also appear with identical text in the Elven culture. I know I had a bit of controversy about these before. Any new thoughts? Is it too good for minions and not good enough for companions?

0 Lesser Ring Sauron
Artifact • Ring
Str: +1
Res: -1
To play, spot an Elven or Sauron card.
Bearer must be a unique character (except the Ring-bearer).
... all those rings that he governed he perverted, the more easily since he had a part in their making, and they were accursed...

0 Ring of Power Sauron
Artifact • Ring
Res: -2
To play, spot a Sauron or Elven card.
Bearer must be a unique character (except the Ring-bearer).
Each time bearer is about to take a wound in a skirmish, his or her owner may discard the top 2 cards of their draw deck to prevent that wound.
... they betrayed in the end all those that used them.

This next card is an artifact version of The One Ring which, although Sauron cannot bear, helps you to take advantage of those rings you put on your opponent’s companions, or rings they decided to put on themselves, whichever works for you! Twisted Evil

0 • The Master Ring Sauron
Artifact • Ring
Legendary 4.
To play, spot 2 Sauron cards.
Plays to your support area.
Assignment: Assign a character bearing a ring to another character (except the Ring-bearer). The Free Peoples player may add a burden to prevent this and assign those characters.
Response: If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, discard this artifact to add a burden.

And now for a fun new Sauron:

20 • Sauron, The Terrible Sauron
Minion • Maia
Str: 24
Vit: 5
Sit: 6
Fierce. Damage +1. Terror 1. Bloodlust 1. Enduring 1.
Sauron’s twilight cost is -2 for each legendary card you can spot.
... he gathered again under his government all the evil things of the days of Morgoth that remained on earth or beneath it...

And a brief reminder:

Terror X - (Each time this character is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s character, you may make that opponent exert X of their characters)

Enduring X - (For each wound on this character, they are strength +X)

Bloodlust X - (For each wound on each character this character is skirmishing, they are strength +X)

Legendary [X] - (When this card is discarded, it goes to the dead pile. In order to discard this card, an opponent must add [X] (FP) or remove [X] (Shadow) in addition to any other costs).

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:10 am; edited 34 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:50 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

0 • The Master Ring Sauron
Artifact • Ring
Legendary.
To play, spot 2 Sauron cards.
Plays to your support area.
Assignment: Assign a character (except the Ring-bearer) bearing a ring to another character (except the Ring-bearer). The Free Peoples player may add a burden to prevent this and assign those characters.
Response: If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, discard this artifact to add a burden.
coolio! I would get rid of the first except the RB. if the freeps player wants to put rings on his RB,. make him pay for it IMSO. its culturally enforced, so they could still run em vs. other decks.

18 • Sauron, The Terrible Sauron
Minion • Maia
Legendary. Fierce. Damage +1. Terror 1. Bloodlust 1. Enduring 1.
... he gathered again under his government all the evil things of the days of Morgoth that remained on earth or beneath it...
l

wow...lots of keywords. because of all those keywords, and the killer ability I would make him cost 20. Right now I see no way, playing against a freeps ring deck that you couldn’t play him for 8. 10 is a little better.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:10 am
Thranduil wrote:

Minion • Maia

Wow erm no idea how balanced this is without trying it out and ive never seen a card with so many keywords. Would look naff on a card i reckon with all those bold words.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:43 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
that horror of harad or whatever from EME had more...
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:42 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
that horror of harad or whatever from EME had more...

Nope - both have 6! Mr. Green

lem0nhead wrote:
Would look naff on a card i reckon with all those bold words.

It would be worth it though!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:28 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
0 Lesser Ring Sauron
Artifact • Ring
Res: -1
To play, spot an Elven or Sauron card.
Bearer must be a unique character.
... all those rings that he governed he perverted, the more easily since he had a part in their making, and they were accursed...

0 Ring of Power Sauron
Artifact • Ring
Res: -2
To play, spot a Sauron or Elven card.
Bearer must be a unique character.
Each time bearer is about to take a wound in a skirmish, his or her owner may discard the top 2 cards of their draw deck to prevent that wound.
... they betrayed in the end all those that used them.

My main concern now is one you still haven’t addressed: potentially playing these on the Ring-bearer...especially with the latter one. No way you should be able to drop a permanent -2 resistance on the Ring-bearer for NO twilight whatsoever. Heck, as is, I’d throw this into ANY Sauron deck just for that purpose. You need to either exclude the Ring-bearer entirely or nerf that resistance when they do bear it. Just WAY too powerful in that regard otherwise.

Thranduil wrote:
Minion • Maia

Just for clarity, probably best to say "...for each other legendary card...". Not strictly necessary, but good practice.

As for balance...jeez, I have no idea. I think terror + fierce is just mean for ANY minion, and then he’s got seemingly every other keyword known to man on top of that...but he IS expensive, and perhaps harder to play cheaply than other versions. I dunno. So hard to judge, but I’ll tenatively say he’s okay. For my money, I’d probably still rather go with a pure beatstick like Lord of the Rings, but that’s me.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:44 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
My main concern now is one you still haven’t addressed: potentially playing these on the Ring-bearer...especially with the latter one. No way you should be able to drop a permanent -2 resistance on the Ring-bearer for NO twilight whatsoever. Heck, as is, I’d throw this into ANY Sauron deck just for that purpose. You need to either exclude the Ring-bearer entirely or nerf that resistance when they do bear it. Just WAY too powerful in that regard otherwise.

Fair enough. I don’t like that limitation for flavour reasons, and also it’s perfectly fine for a Free Peoples card, but I can see that gamewise the exception clause needs to be there, unless you have a better way.

I haven’t made huge numbers of Sauron cards as yet, but here are some of them:

2 • The Ancient Darkness Sauron
Condition • Support Area
Legendary 2.
To play, spot 2 Sauron minions.
Each time a Sauron character wins a skirmish, you may add a Sauron token here.
Each time a Sauron minion is assigned to a skirmish, you may remove a token from here to make that minion gain "Stalwart - exert a companion assigned to this minion."

And now for the mirror I promised in my FP thread from the Elven culture (the lore and title are referring to the ruin of Numenor after which the world became round and only 1 road to Valinor remained):

0 Bent Roads Sauron
Event • Regroup
Exert any number of Sauron characters with a combined site number of 13 or greater to replace a site on the site path with a site from your adventure deck, and add 2 for each character exerted in this way.
And those that sailed furthest set but a girdle about the Earth and returned weary at last to the place of their beginning; and they said: ’All roads are now bent.’

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:09 pm; edited 6 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:48 pm
Thranduil wrote:

Condition • Support Area
At the start of each skirmish involving a Sauron minion, you may remove a token from here to make that minion gain "Stalwart - exert a companion skirmishing this minion."
I am not quite sure about the mechanics of stalwart, but should it be each time they are assigned?

3 Ensnared Sauron
Condition
To play, spot a Sauron character.
Bearer must be a companion (except the Ring-bearer). This condition’s twilight cost is -1 for each artifact borne by this companion (or -3 if he or she bears a ring).
Bearer’s resistance is reduced to 0 and cannot be increased.
I think a tad too powerful. cut the cannot be increased

0 Bent Roads Sauron
Event • Regroup
Exert any number of Sauron characters with a combined site number of 12 or greater to replace a site on the site path with a site from your adventure deck, and add 2 for each character exerted in this way.
[i]And those that sailed furthest set but a girdle about the Earth and returned weary at last to the place of their beginning; and they said: ’All roads are now bent.’

works
"DáinIronfoot"
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:50 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
I am not quite sure about the mechanics of stalwart, but should it be each time they are assigned?

No, I think it’s at the start of a skirmish.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:28 pm
Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Fair enough. I don’t like that limitation for flavour reasons, and also it’s perfectly fine for a Free Peoples card, but I can see that gamewise the exception clause needs to be there, unless you have a better way.

I haven’t made huge numbers of Sauron cards as yet, but here are some of them:

Condition • Support Area
At the start of each skirmish involving a Sauron minion, you may remove a token from here to make that minion gain "Stalwart - exert a companion skirmishing this minion."

Can’t remember how Stalwart works, but I think its prett cool as is. Nice for Sauron grind.

3 Ensnared Sauron
Condition
To play, spot a Sauron character.
Bearer must be a companion (except the Ring-bearer). This condition’s twilight cost is -1 for each artifact borne by this companion (or -3 if he or she bears a ring).
Bearer’s resistance is reduced to 0 and cannot be increased.

Res -6, IMO, is good. Can you imagine this with Cantea, Black Assassin?

And now for the mirror I promised in my FP thread from the Elven culture (the lore and title are referring to the ruin of Numenor after which the world became round and only 1 road to Valinor remained):

0 Bent Roads Sauron
Event • Regroup
Exert any number of Sauron characters with a combined site number of 12 or greater to replace a site on the site path with a site from your adventure deck, and add 2 for each character exerted in this way.
And those that sailed furthest set but a girdle about the Earth and returned weary at last to the place of their beginning; and they said: ’All roads are now bent.’

Sounds like that Gollum event, like it.

Thranduil
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards