LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
gil-estel
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:38 am
Joined: 25 Apr 2007 Posts: 545 Location: Groningen, the Netherlands
There realy should be a search engine on this site...so Kralik..hack away!
When you play Smeagol in your starting fellowship, do you have to add the burden? The reason why I ask is the wording:

Each player places his starting fellowship on the table, placing the burdens he bid on his Ring-bearer.

Places his starting, so it doesn’t say play....Smeagol says: when you play Smeagol. The exception is certainly made when you use Ringbearer Smeagol, but what about the others?

SMÉAGOL,
BEARER OF GREAT SECRETS 9 R+ 30
You do not add a burden when you start this card as your Ring-bearer. (Your Ring-bearer is placed on the table, not played.)

And again, according to the summary in the CRD, your starting fellowship is placed......

I think you have to add the burden, but I just guve it a shot
My trading list
My main wants
My refs
AgentDrake
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:36 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
Yeah, you gotta add the burden. This also means that Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence can remove them, too.
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:45 pm
AgentDrake wrote:
Yeah, you gotta add the burden. This also means that Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence can remove them, too.

Yes, indeed this is true.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Kralik
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:20 pm
gil-estel wrote:

Which site exactly? CC has a search... Eh?
Check out the LoTR TCG Database! My goal is to create a central resource for all kinds of LotR TCG Information. You can have card titles in your posts AutoLink to the card pictures. Cool
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:21 pm
Kralik wrote:
gil-estel wrote:

Which site exactly? CC has a search... Eh?

Though in all fairness, I rarely find what I want using it.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:38 pm
Heh, the "Game Setup Summary" section botched that one. The "starting fellowship" section (p. 17) describes how the Ring-bearer is placed and the other companions are played.
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:41 pm
Elessar’s Socks wrote:
Heh, the "Game Setup Summary" section botched that one. The "starting fellowship" section (p. 17) describes how the Ring-bearer is placed and the other companions are played.

No, it’s exactly right. Smeagol always adds the burden, UNLESS he’s your Ring-bearer, for exactly the reason you gave - the Ring-bearer is placed first and then the other companions are played, so bearer of secrets is never actually played.

EDIT: Changed when I reread the original post and worked out that gil-estel already included the exception for Bearer of Secrets.

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:43 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
Oh, crap I wasn’t paying attention! d'oh!

Smeagol always adds the burden, UNLESS he’s your Ring-bearer, for exactly the reason ES said above - the Ring-bearer is placed first and then the other companions are played, so bearer of secrets is never actually played.

Unless, for some odd reason, you play him as a regular companion and NOT as the Ring-bearer. Wink

But seriously, Zorbec’s Decklist Builder explains this very nicely:

Clarification for Smeagol, Bearer of Great Secrets:

You do not add a burden when you start this card as your Ring-bearer. (Your Ring-bearer is placed on the table, not played.)
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:57 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:

You know Gil-estel quoted exactly the same line in the first post of this thread! Wink

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:22 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

You know Gil-estel quoted exactly the same line in the first post of this thread! Wink

...and THAT, ladies and gentlemen, concludes today’s lesson in why you should always thoroughly read each post in a thread before replying. I mean, look how foolish that Dwarf...uh...over there looks now! Anxious
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions